“Disappointing and not fresh”
Review of Hay Sushi

Hay Sushi
Ranked #1,317 of 2,598 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The only reason I ordered from Hay Sushi was because Sushiya, its superior neighbour, is closed on Mondays, and I had a serious sushi craving. I saw some decent reviews for Hay Sushi, so decided to give it a go.
Oh MAN it was subpar. I have to wonder if the people who describe it as 'the best sushi' they've ever had have had much sushi, 'cause this stuff was a mess.
First of all, every roll we ordered wound up containing mayo. We ordered three different kinds, only one of which had mayo listed as an ingredient (yeah yeah it's not authentic, I'm a boorish American who sometimes likes a dab of mayo on their sushi; it's a guilty pleasure). But the picture on their website only showed a little dot of mayo on their rainbow roll. When I pulled it out of the takeout box, it was practically swimming in the stuff, the entire top of the roll was covered. The other two rolls weren't supposed to have any at all, but they did.
Then there was the California roll-- the crabstick was not fresh. It seriously smelled off. I could not bring myself to eat it. I threw it away.
That sushi sat in my gut like a lead weight for the rest of the night.
Don't order from Hay Sushi. The only reason I'm giving it two stars was because they had my order ready quickly and ONE of the rolls wound up tasting decent. We paid way too much for food that made us feel bad and was a chore to chew through.

1  Thank Jackie P

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Ordered takeaway from here 6pm on a Friday night. Delivery time given was 7pm. After contacting them twice and being told at 7.20 and then again at 8.20 that food was with the driver i cancelled the order and went to pizza hut! Not so much as an apology on the phone. Was offered a 20% discount on 2nd call but after 2hrs and 20 mins of waiting decided to decline! Really don't order from here!!!!

2  Thank Cara H
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Dined here a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the food. My husband and I ordered some kind of meal for two which included some starters, rice, teriyaki chicken, miso soup and a load of sushi.

The starters arrived, followed by the miso but waited over half an hours for the rest of the food. Although we weren't in any rush, the staff could tell we were wondering where the food was and came over to apologise explaining that they had run out of rice as it was so busy (6 Nations weekend and it was manic). They also explained that for the sushi to be perfect, they had to wait for the rice which was cooking to cool right down. We appreciated them informing us and they kindly offered us a free drink each. We waited a little longer and the food came out and it was well worth the wait, it was so tasty!

We asked for the bill and when it came they knocked off ALL the drinks off it and gave us more discount off the actual food.

Although we waited a long time for the rice based dishes, it was actually how the staff handled the situation, it's not the wait staffs fault so there was no use having a go at them.

Would definitely come back again, but maybe earlier in the evening, we turned up after 8pm! Also, despite the staff being Chinese (I know this as they were speaking Chinese and I am Chinese) the food was very authentic!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I ordered a delivery and it took 2hrs and 12 mins to arrive. I phoned and was you they would check with the driver and call back, never happened. The food arrived, cold miso and warm sushi. A total shambles and when I phoned to complain not even an apology. Awful, go elsewhere as it's not cheap.

1  Thank Ewan A
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Good food the soup was not too great but the rest was yum! like a lot of other reviews i read delivery time was a bit long but worth the wait! :-)