“Ordinary meal.”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Callander, United Kingdom
“Ordinary meal.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Ordinary meal at Hat Sushi the other night when I went with my wife. I thought that the Sushimi plate for two was pretty expensive and the main course steak was pretty tough. Service however was good.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Markeverett

• Korean first
Inbhir Nis
“Really disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was the only person in this restaurant, and it's obvious why. The food is bland and the service is really poor. The waiting staff just completely ignored me while I tried to get another drink. I even had to go up and pay as there was no sign of anyone coming to give me the bill. To be honest, I wouldn't care about stuff like this as long as the food was good, but it wasn't it was totally tasteless, and the duck meat (in the ramen soup) just seemed to be strips of fat and skin. Best to avoid this place.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank AnCurryKing
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and not fresh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

The only reason I ordered from Hay Sushi was because Sushiya, its superior neighbour, is closed on Mondays, and I had a serious sushi craving. I saw some decent reviews for Hay Sushi, so decided to give it a go.
Oh MAN it was subpar. I have to wonder if the people who describe it as 'the best sushi' they've ever had have had much sushi, 'cause this stuff was a mess.
First of all, every roll we ordered wound up containing mayo. We ordered three different kinds, only one of which had mayo listed as an ingredient (yeah yeah it's not authentic, I'm a boorish American who sometimes likes a dab of mayo on their sushi; it's a guilty pleasure). But the picture on their website only showed a little dot of mayo on their rainbow roll. When I pulled it out of the takeout box, it was practically swimming in the stuff, the entire top of the roll was covered. The other two rolls weren't supposed to have any at all, but they did.
Then there was the California roll-- the crabstick was not fresh. It seriously smelled off. I could not bring myself to eat it. I threw it away.
That sushi sat in my gut like a lead weight for the rest of the night.
Don't order from Hay Sushi. The only reason I'm giving it two stars was because they had my order ready quickly and ONE of the rolls wound up tasting decent. We paid way too much for food that made us feel bad and was a chore to chew through.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jackie P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Flying to Japan for your sushi would be quicker”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Ordered takeaway from here 6pm on a Friday night. Delivery time given was 7pm. After contacting them twice and being told at 7.20 and then again at 8.20 that food was with the driver i cancelled the order and went to pizza hut! Not so much as an apology on the phone. Was offered a 20% discount on 2nd call but after 2hrs and 20 mins of waiting decided to decline! Really don't order from here!!!!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Cara H
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, good food although a bit slow.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Dined here a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the food. My husband and I ordered some kind of meal for two which included some starters, rice, teriyaki chicken, miso soup and a load of sushi.

The starters arrived, followed by the miso but waited over half an hours for the rest of the food. Although we weren't in any rush, the staff could tell we were wondering where the food was and came over to apologise explaining that they had run out of rice as it was so busy (6 Nations weekend and it was manic). They also explained that for the sushi to be perfect, they had to wait for the rice which was cooking to cool right down. We appreciated them informing us and they kindly offered us a free drink each. We waited a little longer and the food came out and it was well worth the wait, it was so tasty!

We asked for the bill and when it came they knocked off ALL the drinks off it and gave us more discount off the actual food.

Although we waited a long time for the rice based dishes, it was actually how the staff handled the situation, it's not the wait staffs fault so there was no use having a go at them.

Would definitely come back again, but maybe earlier in the evening, we turned up after 8pm! Also, despite the staff being Chinese (I know this as they were speaking Chinese and I am Chinese) the food was very authentic!

• Visited February 2014