“Fantastic respite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bell's Brae House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #65 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently traveled to a number of countries and participated in volunteer projects in each destination. It was a remarkable experience! I also wanted to explore each of the locations I visited after my volunteer projects, and since the accommodations can significantly add or detract from one's experience, I put a decent amount of effort into researching my options and trying to find unique, quality places to stay that would enhance my overseas travels. It was my way of treating myself to something special in each place.

I was so pleasantly surprised to find Bell's Brae and could not have been happier with my choice! The hosts were kind and very helpful. They happened to be watching a few dogs at the time, and though I don't think that is usually the case, it added to the welcoming atmosphere. The home, itself, has a fascinating history and is such a unique building. And the bedroom and bathroom are beautiful, private, and comfortable. It is just the kind of room I was happy to behold when I wearily stepped inside. Wonderful food, lots of amenities, gracious hosts, prime location in Dean Village, and beautiful lodgings. I'm glad I researched my options - on TripAdvisor, no less(!) - and came across this gem. Still remember looking out the balcony window as the afternoon sun sparkled on the water. I have no hesitation recommending this bed & breakfast and would happily stay there again if I'm ever back in Edinburgh!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Bell's Brae House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 7 July 2014

With possibly the most comfortable bed in the world, the guest accommodation at Bell's Brae is stunning. From the view across the river to ancient city rooftops, the house oozes elegance and style. Hosts Stephanie and Stewart are genuine and gracious and pay attention to the kind of tiny details that make a vacation unforgettable. From impossibly soft bathrobes to crisp,clean sheets to hand made shortbread and a host of teas,coffee,drinking chocolate and even a sip of sherry if you so desire, there is nothing that this gorgeous bed and breakfast lacks. The location is incredible - just five minutes from the bustling West End of Edinburgh- yet nestled between cobbled stone streets,hidden gardens, a river and a secret waterfall, there is truly no other bed and breakfast like this in the city. And we haven't yet mentioned the breakfast! Stewart is a passionate and talented cook so expect some of the freshest local foods served with impeccable style. Whether you want smoked Scottish salmon with poached eggs or a full Scottish breakfast, you are sure to love the food and the elegant dining room overlooking the river. Watch herons, blue jays, and robins as they feast on bird tables hanging between dazzlingly colorful flower baskets. If you are lucky you might even see an otter on the riverbank. Our two-night stay was the highlight of our time in Edinburgh and as a long time food,wine and travel writer, I can't recommend the Bell's Brae experience highly enough. Go stay and find out what true Scottish hospitality really is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I have just enjoyed two wonderful nights bed and breakfast with Stuart and Stephanie at Bell's Brae House. What a lucky find! The house is a wonderfully historic building with masses of character and beautiful furniture but with all mod cons-really comfy bed, soft pillows and hugh towels! The breakfast sets you up for the day, we can personally recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, the best we've tasted for a long time.
Stuart and Stephanie are ideal hosts, full of useful information which they willingly share but they're not in the least bit obtrusive.
The house is in the very quiet, picturesque area of Dean village, you'd never know you were in a city, but it is conveniently located an easy ten minute walk from Prince's Street and all the buses and trams.
This was our first visit to Bell's Brae but it certainly won't be the last-our home from home when we visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: There is only one room but it is beautiful with a great view of the Water of Leith.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at Bell's Brae house. We are experienced travelers and like unique locations, and this place in one of the best we have seen so far. Outstanding location, 10 min walking from Princes Street and from the tram stop connecting you to the airport, but miles away from the traffic and noise. The only sounds you can hear from the room are those from the little river and from the songbirds that visit the garden. The home is beautiful. Tourists stop to take pictures. The room cozy and comfortable, breakfast really great (some of the food was worth a Michelin star! Try the kipper ...) and served in a room with an incredible view. Last detail: Stephanie and Stewart, a lovely couple, aways ready to help, never intruding your privacy. If we go back to a Edinburgh it will be at Bell's Brae. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alessandro P
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We came here for a wedding at Edinburgh Castle and Bell's Brae House was a treasure. It is an old converted mill house constructed of stone, and is nestled in the hamlet of Dean village which is a stone's throw from Stockbridge and Prince Street. It is surrounded by lush greenery, and the river called the Water of Leith. Each morning we awakened to the chirping of birds and the soothing sounds of water rippling just outside our balcony. Stewart and Stephanie were consummate hosts, and cooked amazing breakfasts. We had breakfast by candlelight, and a mouth watering array of delectable offerings: Smoked Scottish salmon with onion and eggs on a bagel, fresh squeezed orange juice, dollar pancakes and bacon with maple syrup, eggs over easy, smoked kippers, a Scottish breakfast of haggis, sausage, bacon, tomatoes and eggs, and they granted my request for a bacon, lettuce, and tomato (blt) sandwich. They were very accommodating, not intrusive and had terrific recommendations for restaurants-Whighams and L'Escargot Blanc were winners. We felt very smug about our room when we compared it with our friends who were staying at big hotels like the Caledonia Waldorf Astoria and Hilton. We felt that Bell's Brae House was an oasis, more intimate and refreshing, reminiscent of olde Edinburgh. The living room is filled with beautiful green ferns and colorful flowers. If you want to stay book ahead because they only have one room, which makes Bells Brae House even more special. Babamae

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Babamae1945
Reviewed 27 April 2014

First trip to Scotland and Edinburgh - great start. This is a unique place to stay, it is quite old with a spiral staircase and beautiful room, quirky in a very nice way. Your hosts are so friendly and helpful and you get the best welcome from their 'collie' dog - sorry just a little joke. The lovely dog really is very friendly. I can't think there is a better spot in Edinburgh, only 5 minutes from Princes Street which is central to everything. Lovely breakfast and the little detail of lighting the candles and wood burner at 7.00 am when we were leaving exemplifies the care put in. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We spent a weekend at Bell's Brae House earlier in the year and cannot recommend it highly enough! Great location, fantastic breakfast, incredibly friendly/sociable hosts and a lovely room. Homemade short bread, fluffy bath robes and a fab view from the window - what more could you ask for!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Oliver T