“Utterly charming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bell's Brae House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #64 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The lovely owners of this historic property have thought of everything. From the riverside room to the top quality linen, this is a 1st class place to stay. The historic village setting on the Water of Leith is a quiet oasis just outside the city, but within 10 minutes of the heart of this great Scottish destination. One note of caution though - the city is very hilly and the house is at the bottom of a steep hill, which might leave you out of breath as you head for the sights.

Room Tip: There is just one room and it is wonderful.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarob
There are newer reviews for Bell's Brae House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at Bell's Brae House twice last year and it is really an extraordinary and special place. The building has so much character and the room could not be more comfortable. The sound of the river is especially bucolic and the whole place has a simultaneously calming, elegant, and cozy feel. Steph and Stewart are perfect hosts, providing off the beaten path recommendations and attending to all our needs, while always giving us our space. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Edinburgh and look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We only stayed for one night in March but was absolutely lovely - lovely room with a very comfy bed and breakfast was fabulous in the morning. Stephanie was a great host and recommended the Stockbridge market to us the next day, which we enjoyed. We hope to return next year.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently traveled to a number of countries and participated in volunteer projects in each destination. It was a remarkable experience! I also wanted to explore each of the locations I visited after my volunteer projects, and since the accommodations can significantly add or detract from one's experience, I put a decent amount of effort into researching my options and trying to find unique, quality places to stay that would enhance my overseas travels. It was my way of treating myself to something special in each place.

I was so pleasantly surprised to find Bell's Brae and could not have been happier with my choice! The hosts were kind and very helpful. They happened to be watching a few dogs at the time, and though I don't think that is usually the case, it added to the welcoming atmosphere. The home, itself, has a fascinating history and is such a unique building. And the bedroom and bathroom are beautiful, private, and comfortable. It is just the kind of room I was happy to behold when I wearily stepped inside. Wonderful food, lots of amenities, gracious hosts, prime location in Dean Village, and beautiful lodgings. I'm glad I researched my options - on TripAdvisor, no less(!) - and came across this gem. Still remember looking out the balcony window as the afternoon sun sparkled on the water. I have no hesitation recommending this bed & breakfast and would happily stay there again if I'm ever back in Edinburgh!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

With possibly the most comfortable bed in the world, the guest accommodation at Bell's Brae is stunning. From the view across the river to ancient city rooftops, the house oozes elegance and style. Hosts Stephanie and Stewart are genuine and gracious and pay attention to the kind of tiny details that make a vacation unforgettable. From impossibly soft bathrobes to crisp,clean sheets to hand made shortbread and a host of teas,coffee,drinking chocolate and even a sip of sherry if you so desire, there is nothing that this gorgeous bed and breakfast lacks. The location is incredible - just five minutes from the bustling West End of Edinburgh- yet nestled between cobbled stone streets,hidden gardens, a river and a secret waterfall, there is truly no other bed and breakfast like this in the city. And we haven't yet mentioned the breakfast! Stewart is a passionate and talented cook so expect some of the freshest local foods served with impeccable style. Whether you want smoked Scottish salmon with poached eggs or a full Scottish breakfast, you are sure to love the food and the elegant dining room overlooking the river. Watch herons, blue jays, and robins as they feast on bird tables hanging between dazzlingly colorful flower baskets. If you are lucky you might even see an otter on the riverbank. Our two-night stay was the highlight of our time in Edinburgh and as a long time food,wine and travel writer, I can't recommend the Bell's Brae experience highly enough. Go stay and find out what true Scottish hospitality really is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I have just enjoyed two wonderful nights bed and breakfast with Stuart and Stephanie at Bell's Brae House. What a lucky find! The house is a wonderfully historic building with masses of character and beautiful furniture but with all mod cons-really comfy bed, soft pillows and hugh towels! The breakfast sets you up for the day, we can personally recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, the best we've tasted for a long time.
Stuart and Stephanie are ideal hosts, full of useful information which they willingly share but they're not in the least bit obtrusive.
The house is in the very quiet, picturesque area of Dean village, you'd never know you were in a city, but it is conveniently located an easy ten minute walk from Prince's Street and all the buses and trams.
This was our first visit to Bell's Brae but it certainly won't be the last-our home from home when we visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: There is only one room but it is beautiful with a great view of the Water of Leith.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at Bell's Brae house. We are experienced travelers and like unique locations, and this place in one of the best we have seen so far. Outstanding location, 10 min walking from Princes Street and from the tram stop connecting you to the airport, but miles away from the traffic and noise. The only sounds you can hear from the room are those from the little river and from the songbirds that visit the garden. The home is beautiful. Tourists stop to take pictures. The room cozy and comfortable, breakfast really great (some of the food was worth a Michelin star! Try the kipper ...) and served in a room with an incredible view. Last detail: Stephanie and Stewart, a lovely couple, aways ready to help, never intruding your privacy. If we go back to a Edinburgh it will be at Bell's Brae. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family