“Excellent day's Thai cookery course”

Edinburgh New Town Cookery School
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was given this a a present, and it was well worth it. Pleasant surroundings, a wealth of recipes, and excellent unobtrusive instruction by knowledgeable staff. As a complete novice to Thai cookery before I went I now feel that I will be able to expand beyond the recipes taught as I feel I have an understanding beyond the recipes taught...and possibly a worrying attraction to Nam Pla fish sauce.....

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I did the Teenagers One Week Course last week and it was amazing. I've always loved cooking and I enjoyed the variation of simple dishes we made(all of which were delicious!)

The class was made up of about 15(split into two groups). My group was taught by Tor who was a friendly and talented chef with great enthusiasm. She was audible and demonstrated clearly. The atmosphere was very relaxed and there was a fun and happy vibe.

The age range varied from 13-16, with myself being put with the older pupils. I felt that everyone gained new skills no matter what their past cooking experience(some didn't know how to chop an onion or slice garlic, whilst another pupil was sharpening their knives).

I agree with one of other other reviewers that there was a lot of washing up to do, but I didn't mind that because that is what you'd have to do in a professional kitchen anyway.

After the 5 day course finished, I feel somewhat at a loss. I want to go back and do more, it was so enjoyable. I'm sad I have to wait until next summer to do the course again! Anyone deliberating going, should definitely go! It is well worth the money and I have also gained some new favourite recipes.

1  Thank AnonScotlandUK
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Our travel companions came across the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School on a morning walk and went inside to check it out. They found out there would be a Scottish Beer & Food pairing class that evening, so they signed us all up. And I was so happy they did! As tourists, I feel what better way to learn about a city then through food & drink?
Our class of roughly 25 people, was taught in tandem by a quirky local newspaper reporter and I believe the head of the school, both in great humor. Each course was paired with 2 unique beers, in all I believe we had 5 courses. Traditional dishes with a spin such as haggis, salmon, etc. It was all delicious. And we learned so much about the regions of Scotland where the beer and food came from, very educational!
I would HIGHLY recommend the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School for people visiting the city, a fantastic way to spend the evening!

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Wonderful thai cookery course over an entire day - what you cook you eat so it pays to listen!
But great fun, exceptional teachers, lovely ingredients, central location and well worth the price.
From what I understand there are many other types of courses but the Thai one was really good and the food delicious! I am still using my new found skill some year later!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I did a baking course here last week and thoroughly enjoyed my day. Victoria was very friendly and helpful and full of interesting tips. Lunch was provided and was also very good. In the confirmation letter, we were asked to bring our own aprons and containers to take everything away which I hadn't bothered to read...................my fault, but an apron was found and containers provided ! There were only 6 people on the course when I was there and it felt very personal and friendly. I can imagine that the course would still be as good with more people but I do feel that smaller groups like that make a difference. If I had one negative comment, it would be the amount of washing up there was to do. I appreciate that we had to re-use the bowls etc for the next bakery item and so things had to be washed up quickly, but for the cost of the day, as well as it being a day out, a kitchen porter to help out on this task would have been a big plus. A day off from the washing up is nice every now and again ! It would definitely not stop me from booking another course, in fact, I am really tempted to do a 2 month course there sometime in the future..................if they'll have me back !

Thank you once again.

Elaine

PS Please don't try to drive into Edinburgh town centre as it is an absolute nightmare at the moment. The school is in a great location and you can easily park out of town and get a bus in.

3  Thank lochwoodfarm