“Not staying there again!”
Review of Regis Guesthouse

Regis Guesthouse
Ranked #360 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not staying there again!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Well ok I didn't expect much for my money and from the trip advisor reviews I went knowing this place would not be great but it was central and easy to get to the rugby.

I booked through late rooms and it said that my card details had been taken for the reservation only and I would pay upon arrival and that I could cancel up to 2pm on the day of arrival if needed to, but when I got there they had already take the first night from my credit card!! I certainly was NOT amused. But I though well I am staying so whatever. Checked in and got the keys from the Bravehart.

Popped across the road to the the Regis Guest house, the best thing was the fact we were on the top floor with no other room so it was quiet.

But, the room was soooooo small with hardly any room to move for two people n there was close to hardly any room if at all to move in the bathroom. The shower was clean. The floor boards were so creaky everytime we move we made a noise! Even when we moved around to get comfy on the bed the floor boards creaked which was so weird. The tv made a very odd noise when it was turned on too!

The guest in the room below was smoking and we could smell it which was disgusting and no one we could tell because it is an unstaffed guest house with no phone line to the main hotel! The main door to the guest house had been left open on more than one occasion by other guests which allowed anyone from the street to walk in which was dangerous in my opinion cos the house was unstaffed. We even noticed that a few of the room had very obvious signs of break in before! Not exactly safe! Don't leave your valuables!

The breakfast was a bit ridiculous, fish cakes for a vegetarian breakfast, really?!! I had to ask for fried egg instead which didn't really fill me up with beans n mushrooms on the side!

When I told the owner about the smoker in the room below and the main door left wide open he didn't care, all I got was maybe you should have put a note under the door to tell them to stop smoking! Really?!? In general the guy manning the desk and the owner were really creepy!

There are loads of B&B's on this road, Gilmore place just do a google search and stay at another one!

I know you shouldn't expect much for a little random B&B but this was odd, the only positive was the comfy pillows, although I did take my own pillow covers and so glad I did cos it was grotty!!!

The place needed some serious love, the bedding was so faded that it really needed replaced, the shower had a random botch job to fix up the roof, the tiles were not grouted, the toilet still had labels on which were really old and just needed removing, the room probably had a re-dec more than 10 years ago n when painted the room the curtains had been painted around and so the walls were still black behind the curtains!

Even the other guests were grotty and weird!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Girly29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Falkirk
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

What do you expect for £50... Well we got a
room for 3 with an en-suite shower room. Full cooked breakfast with cereals, juice and coffee... Decent value for a basic, clean, dry, warm room after a night out in Edinburgh... Only a 5 minute walk from Fountain Park and 10 from Princes Street... Nothing Specials but did the job admirably...

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed one night and overall was very happy with it, checked into Braveheart as reviews suggested. Room was clean (though a bit tatty) but excellent value especially with the location being so good. no problems with booking or stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I'm afraid I can't comment on the accommodation as i never actually got to stay. I booked and paid for a room here and 3 days before I was due to stay, someone from the guest house phoned to cancel my booking, saying they had listed the price on the website wrong and I couldn't stay. He was very rude and told me they were 'not a charity', then hung up the phone when I tried to discuss my booking further. I then had a call from the website I'd booked through to say the guesthouse had phoned to say I wished to cancel my room and could I confirm this... I refused to confirm this lie but my room was still cancelled. And not even an apology from the guest house! Awful customer service!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moscow E

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Snaith, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We got to the regis to find we had to go to the braveheart to check in which was really annoying because it was snowing but off we trotted ..in the braveheart I was shocked to see the cat on the bar then it jumped off the bar and walked into the kitchen
We got our keys told breakfast was between 8-9 and checkout by 11

Went across the road and up to the regis which is a un-staffed house to find we was in the top floor

The banister was loose and the stairs uneven the place smelt damp got to room 7 and a overwhelming smell of air fresher hit me which set off an asthma attack after using my nebuliser and seeing the shower was dirty and there was urine on the seat of the toilet and in the toilet noway was I staying

Trotted back to the brave heart and explained requested a refund the lady said she had no idea what to do rang her manager who was shouting down the phone Saying unless they filled the room they wouldn't be refunding so we left

• Stayed March 2013
Athy, Ireland
Reviewed 28 January 2013

the price you pay for this B&B, in the heart of the city, friendly staff and everything’s a stone’s throw away, it was truly enjoyed (big Scottish breakfast really sets you up for the adventurous day). If i had a minor minus it would be... you have to check into the Braveheart Hotel which is down the street - we didn’t know that. We weren’t expecting the "Ritz" so there was no disappointment... thanks guys.

Room Tip: find out if you have to check into the Braveheart B&B first...