“Richmond Place Apartments”

Richmond Place Apartments
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 3 night stay in Edinburgh. We took a taxi from Waverly train station as we had luggage, but it only cost us 4.60 GBP. You can walk to the apartments within 10 minutes however. The gentleman on reception was lovely and showed us where everything was on the map, the studio room was very clean and the bed was really comfy.

The only thing wrong was our hob wasn't working, as we'd wanted to cook our own breakfasts to save some money. The rest of the kitchenette was working and fully stocked though. The apartments are in a great location; very close to Arthur's seat and a 10 minute walk to the Old Town were the castle and Royal Mile are situated. The price definitely can't be beaten, and with 4 remote access doors from entering the building to our room, we felt very safe too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Richmond Place Apartments

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights and I feelt that I got good value for my money. The rooms were ok, no super rooms but what to expect for the price. The location was great and it had nice stores close and short distance to center. Nice people working in thd reception.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. The reason why I chose to stay here was because of its close distance to the Royal College of Edinburgh (3 minutes of leisure walk). Within walking distance from the town centre, but if you're dragging heavy luggage, might be wise if you take the bus instead. From the bus stop you would need to walk for about 3 minutes. I didn't bring heavy luggage so I walked from the Waverley Bridge to the apartment, which took me about 10-15mins. The apartment is located at a quite and safe neighborhood for solo travelers.

I arrived at Edinburgh in the morning and when I arrived at the apartment, my room was not ready until 2pm. Left my luggage at the reception and walked around. Went to Starbucks for my morning coffee (and free wifi access). Then I went to the visit the Surgeon's Hall. Spent almost 3 hours in the Surgeon's Hall - was very fascinated with all the specimens.

Check in was no fuss.

The room was narrow in width but extend in length. A very self-sufficient apartment. Comfortable bed. Slightly small bathroom (even for someone slim like me) but clean, which I didn't mind, but might be a bit of a trouble for someone who likes his/her bathroom to be spacious.

The only thing that might be a bother to others would be the noisy hallway. You can hear people talk and open/close the door. It didn't bother me much and I was able to sleep without being awaken by the noise.

Check out was no fuss as well.

Lots of restaurants, fast food chain, cafes, 2 Tesco, etc around the area. Cant recommend any good restaurants as those that I went to were somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I loved staying here. The location is fabulous (a few easily-walkable blocks from the Royal Mile, bus station, train stations; but on a quiet side street, so not at all congested or noisy), price is very reasonable for the location, staff is friendly and helpful, and the layout made it feel more like an apartment than a hotel. I don't usually have emotional reactions to hotel rooms, but I was delighted with this one! I'll stay here again next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived here early on a Sunday morning after a trans-Atlantic flight. When we checked in, we were told that a room wouldn't be ready until 3pm (6 hours later), but he took our email and promised he would let us know if a room was ready earlier. We went around the corner to Kilimanjaro Coffee and had a nice full breakfast and just as we finished eating we were notified that our room was ready.

Our room was of the "tri-level" design where the bathroom is on the entry level; 3 steps down is the kitchen, desk, dining table and chairs, an easy chair, and television; and up several steps is a loft sleeping area with double bed and wardrobe. The kitchen was well-equipped and was even stocked with tea bags, instant coffe, sugar, sweetener, and milk in the fridge. The bathroom shower was great and it was supplied with an all-purpose shampoo/body wash. There was also a safe and hair dryer.

Location was 5 minutes to the University and 10-15 minutes to the Royal Mile and Waverly Station. Several buses run up and down Nicholson Street which is around the block. It was nice to see Arthur's Seat every time we left. There are several grocery stores on Nicholson and several convenience stores. There are also many restaurants and some food carts nearby.

The apartments are on the third floor of student housing but we didn't have any noise issues.

The people at the front desk were very helpful with any questions.

My only complaints are that the sleeping loft was too warm and the wifi kept dropping ( but was fast when connected).

They do not service the rooms every day which might be an issue for some.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I have traveled to this place for leasure.
First of all:
the pictures of the studio flat I had booked through the web were not matching the actual place we were assigned; the flat was even nicer!
It is part of the university lot where apparently a wing of the building is available for private rent.
So in the beginning you think you are in a university lot but then it does not look like that AT ALL!
The flat n. 108 on 3rd floor is divided in 2 levels ,like a split level studio flat.
The upper part with bedroom , the lower part with kitchen (including all facilities such as cluttery ,pots, cups, kettle, microwave oven, toaster, fridge ) , and relax area with nice tv and table to dine.
The bathroom was small but essential and functional, the shower was big enough and comfortable.The hot water was fabulously coming out in 2 seconds!
All extremely clean ( I am italian and we are very fussy on this issue ) ,very nice modern design forniture.
There is an adjustable heating system, 2 heaters you might switch on with a "touch" button, the heater works imediately and the room heats up quickly
the Kitchen has electric hob , and it is comfortable to use.
The place was quiet at night and not crowded.
The staff extremely nice,you can come in and out at any time; they give you a key and a magnetic badge which opens all the building doors,
so it is very save, as you need to pass that badge 3 times before you arrive to your place.
All very well organised.
We had lost the printed return boarding card and they kindly printed a copy for us.
The price was very good for the period. there was no breakfast facility in the deal but with the kitchen it is more confortable and cheaper to get some food in.
We have seen other people coming in group of 5- 6 arriving and opening the door we could spot inside there was a very big place and hear them very happy!
The surrounding is very nice.
As you walk out you suddenly have a good view of scottish landscape , but it is very close to town centre ( actually we can say it is in town centre) .
10 mins walk to the main attractions. and on the way there, plenty of shops of any kind including Tesco metro, Tesco Express, ATM machines , bars and restaurant;It is very central.
One thing I have to say, restaurants at 10pm, they tell you they are closing.
There is a quite nice italian Restaurant "Ciao Roma" in South Bridge (the main street to the trainstation) , the food is decent and not expensive, that will close later.I would advise that place for a late dinner.
I would recommend this Richmond Place Apartments to anyone visiting this beautiful town (bring yourself a wind and waterproof raincoat as weather in spring time can be very dull!)!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed one night here for the Edinburgh Rock n Roll Half Marathon. It was in a ideal location for this as was within a short walk of the Start/Finish line and was also handy for the city centre. There is also a small Tesco store, just around the corner.
The apartments are part of a student accommodation block, but do not let this put you off as not only are they clean, modern and far classier than most people's impressions of "student accommodation", but they are also all on one floor of the building, meaning that there is no noise from the student blocks.
Our apartment was a double, with a compact shower room, kitchen/diner and a double bed on a mezzanine floor.
The kitchen has all you'd expect from self-catering accommodation - kettle, microwave/grill, hob, utensils, cutlery, crockery, fridge, etc. There is also a dining table/chairs and a digital TV.
The receptionist was friendly and helpful and there is a multitude of info, leaflets, maps, etc in the reception area.
If I had one complaint and it really was a small one - the extractor fans are a little over-zealous. The bathroom one comes on automatically with the light and lasts for around 15 mins after you have switched the light off. The kitchen one, which I switched on accidentally remained on for about 2 hours!!
All in all, this is very comfortable, well-situated accommodation, at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Remember to lock your door with the key as it doesn't lock automatically Don't switch the k...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple