“Good location. Clean but small & cramped”

Richmond Place Apartments
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Good location. Clean but small & cramped”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed for two nights to see a gig & explore the city. From arrival the staff were very helpful. We were allowed to park near reception whilst we offloaded our gear & checked into our room. There is parking (chargeable) on the street however it's only for 4hrs. We parked in the NCP which is a 5min walk (downhill from the apartments & uphill coming back). Charge being £15 per 24hrs.
Our room was well equipt however felt a little clostrophobic. There was no natural light & it's was very cramped. I'm not sure if we were just unfortunate & got a bad room or they're all the same? Looking back I wish I'd requested to move. This didnt spoil our stay in any way though as we didnt spend much time indoors anyway (It was glorious sunshine - 23oc+).
Location wise, we found it brilliant. About 10-15mins walk to both Grassmarket & Princes Steeet.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bex_luvbug1984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed in 4 rooms in Richmond Place on a saturday night recently. We were a stag do and had 2 rooms of 4, and 2 rooms of 2. The beds are doubles, so be prepared for a cosy night with your mates! The rooms for 4 are excellent though, and we had a good time there. Good standard, good bathrooms, but the sofa beds are not as good as the real beds. The best thing is that the staff are very friendly. Genuine people who want to make sure you are having a good time. Just be aware that when you do book the taxi to the airport, tell the driver when you get in that it's £19 fixed fare! Otherwise you will have a discussion at the airport when the meter says £24. Overall a very good place for central Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fredrik H
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We admittedly had some difficulty finding these apartments and the check-in location (even with a taxi driver who knew the area well). But, once we got situated, this was a great find for a 3-night stay in Edinburgh. We were within easy walking distance of the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, right where we wanted to be. Apartment layout was a little different -- lobby and fire door into living room/kitchenette area AND separate fire door into bedroom. Receptionists were most helpful in directions, estimated walking time, etc. Excellent value and we really appreciated the cleanliness of the apartment!

Room Tip: Make sure you know this is located at the edge of the University campus. Part of the complex houses...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CWillison
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We recently stayed in Richmond Place Apartments whilst visiting Edinburgh for the Half Marathon. Until we visited we didn't realise that the complex was part of the university.

Upon arriving the entrance to Richmond Place Apartments wasn't immediately obvious but once we found our way in it had a distinctive "student halls" type feel about it, but the member of staff on reception was extremely friendly and helpful.

After following the warren of corridors which were extremely well signposted we found our room and were impressed with the cleanliness and general feel. The only disappointment was that everything felt a little narrow and small.

The bathroom was great, kitchen adequate, and dining area functional. However there wasn't really an area to sit and relax apart from on the bed, which itself was located on the mezzanine above the kitchen and the television. The only seating by the TV was a single armchair, and the dining table with fairly "formal" dining chairs.

Despite the narrow space and lack of relaxed seating, we would definitely consider Richmond Place for future visits to Edinburgh. It is extremely well located and in easy reach from all of the major attractions on foot.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 3 night stay in Edinburgh. We took a taxi from Waverly train station as we had luggage, but it only cost us 4.60 GBP. You can walk to the apartments within 10 minutes however. The gentleman on reception was lovely and showed us where everything was on the map, the studio room was very clean and the bed was really comfy.

The only thing wrong was our hob wasn't working, as we'd wanted to cook our own breakfasts to save some money. The rest of the kitchenette was working and fully stocked though. The apartments are in a great location; very close to Arthur's seat and a 10 minute walk to the Old Town were the castle and Royal Mile are situated. The price definitely can't be beaten, and with 4 remote access doors from entering the building to our room, we felt very safe too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights and I feelt that I got good value for my money. The rooms were ok, no super rooms but what to expect for the price. The location was great and it had nice stores close and short distance to center. Nice people working in thd reception.

• Stayed June 2013
dublin, ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. The reason why I chose to stay here was because of its close distance to the Royal College of Edinburgh (3 minutes of leisure walk). Within walking distance from the town centre, but if you're dragging heavy luggage, might be wise if you take the bus instead. From the bus stop you would need to walk for about 3 minutes. I didn't bring heavy luggage so I walked from the Waverley Bridge to the apartment, which took me about 10-15mins. The apartment is located at a quite and safe neighborhood for solo travelers.

I arrived at Edinburgh in the morning and when I arrived at the apartment, my room was not ready until 2pm. Left my luggage at the reception and walked around. Went to Starbucks for my morning coffee (and free wifi access). Then I went to the visit the Surgeon's Hall. Spent almost 3 hours in the Surgeon's Hall - was very fascinated with all the specimens.

Check in was no fuss.

The room was narrow in width but extend in length. A very self-sufficient apartment. Comfortable bed. Slightly small bathroom (even for someone slim like me) but clean, which I didn't mind, but might be a bit of a trouble for someone who likes his/her bathroom to be spacious.

The only thing that might be a bother to others would be the noisy hallway. You can hear people talk and open/close the door. It didn't bother me much and I was able to sleep without being awaken by the noise.

Check out was no fuss as well.

Lots of restaurants, fast food chain, cafes, 2 Tesco, etc around the area. Cant recommend any good restaurants as those that I went to were somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business