“Horrendously bad”

Ranked #573 of 2,568 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: The Villager has been recommended several times on the Ediburgh forum it is a great place for food and drinks. I did visit it during my last visit to Edinburgh and really want to add my review.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Came in at 6:55pm for a table pre-booked for 7pm, eventually got our drinks & food order taken at 7:25, were offered water which never arrived and ordered our food. 30 mins later, after all other tables around us had received their food, they admitted that they had lost our order. They offered us the food for free, but as we were on a tight deadline (tickets for a show) we declined and ended up a a fast food place. Terrible service. We used to come here regularly, but never again.

1  Thank Sarrunda

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Despite a rather slow service, the restaurant's food was tasty and very nice, though not really top of the range. I personally loved the infused water, liked my soup and really liked the warm lamb salad, while my friend's frittata was nice and falvorful according to her.

1  Thank AliceTwain
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Burger and fries took more than 35 minutes to serve and the place was half empty.
Bar kohl two doors up do better food and service. It's a bonus that it's also cheaper.
Cafe Lucano two doors down also does much better food and the services surpasses even the fussiest critics expectations.
In a nutshell: don't go here for food.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

A great find just off the Royal Mile near the library. Exceptional lunch for little money. The homemade soups are wonderful, and the lunch entrees were delicious and a bit upscale for a funky little place. Highly recommended.

1  Thank D0wnings
Reviewed 2 July 2014

we were walking around Edinburgh for an hour trying to find a cocktail bar. Pubs are in plentiful supply, but if you want something a bit nicer for a special evening its a hard task. The villager was recommended to us by the resturant we had booked to have dinner in, and it definitely didnt disapooint. If only we had found it earlier! we only had time for one drink but would have happily spent the whole evening in there. On a seperate note, i lost my wallet, and when they found it they have gone above and beyond to return it to me! A* to the very friendly and helpful staff

1  Thank welltravelled_22_11