“treasured find”

Ranked #153 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$8 - US$45
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A bright, relaxing, licensed bistro serving great seasonal food and baking. Available for daytime and weekend evening casual dining.
“treasured find”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Fantastic welcome, owner with great personality and very helpful whether describing the menu options or directions for places to visit for tourists, a fun lady. Great menu, very individual and a wonderful variety, only problem was choosing. I was planning to share a desert as so full after the main course but it was so irresistible, really couldn't stop eating. A great local eatery for mums and wee ones to pop in but also near the Water of Leith so visitors seem to just come across it. Should also mention the changing exhibition on the wall which give artists a showcase for their work. Would strongly recommend a visit. While it is mainly day time hours they offer private evening and late afternoon dining for parties of twelve or more. From family gatherings to weddings. Did I say what a treat it is to go there. Go there, what's not to like.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tonra

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“So So good”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

well deserved reputation. The only weak point is coffee, which is bland and not up to their standards. For the rest, best place I've been in Edinburgh.

• Visited November 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely as usual and as expected”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I are regulars. I recently took a friend and his son along with my own children one Saturday morning. As usual we received great service and a tasty brunch; the highlight were the delicious pancakes with cream and homemade jam - a big hit. My friend is not quick to pass on praise and he has been raving about his visit. A gang of happy customers!

“Family weekend fun!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My two daughters (5 years and 8 months) husband and I LOVE eating in this bistro and have done so since it opened I think about four years ago now.

There is always a fantastic welcome for both parents and children. There is a wide selection of toys and books, numerous high chairs and if you look around and about lots of photos of the little patrons! I can imagine that it gets fairly full of children at some points during the day so maybe if you want to try the food (a must) then you could try to avoid the busiest child times!

Ana prefers it if you can leave pushchairs by the front door, however, if this is not possible she will clear a space and help you to put the pushchair somewhere where it does not interfere with walkways and access to the bathrooms and kitchen. Although the restaurant may not always be completely full, it can fill up very quickly, not only that but it is safer that people are able to move freely between and around tables. Perhaps, as this restaurant is so family friendly, people would consider using a sling or baby carrier if possible? I took my youngest daugher after taking her to be registered and she slept very peacefully in her pushchair with Ana and I checking on her every few minutes on her way past and me having a lovely relaxing, celebratory meal with husband and my Mother. Not many places where that could happen so in terms of family and baby friendliness, Ana goes above and beyond!

Food is always fantastic and everything, from the children's fish fingers (or goujons actually!) to the NY cheesecake, is home made. The specials board is constantly changing, locally sourced and seasonal. I always find that the specials board gives me something a little bit more unusual that I get in other bistros and restaurants nearby. There aren't many places where you can have rabbit tagine, sardines and iles flottantes for £13.00 at a weekend (my husband had muscles followed by NY cheesecake 5yr old fish goujons and a cake). I always take friends and family here and it is first on my list of recommendation for visitors to Edinburgh/Leith.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank StephanieMaia
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good food and child friendly.”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I visit the Water of Leith Cafe Bistro on a regular basis. It is great for a meal, lentil soup, mac cheese or homemade quiche are my favourites. Great place for a coffee and cake too. My five year old son is always asking to go to 'Anna's' cafe as they are all so child friendly and the kids menu is perfect. My boy loves the kids fishcakes and toys they provide to entertain him.