My trip to Edinburgh was a last minute decision and as I couldn't book a room in the same hotel where my friend stayed I booked into Abbey hotel. The reason for booking this hotel was that it was only a few doors down from where my friend stayed and was affordable and in a great location.
I booked a single room and although I felt that the room was tightly furnished it was comfortable enough and the temperature in the room was spot on. Not too cold or warm either in the morning or at night. The wifi also worked really well both in my room and in the breakfast room.
I found the bed (double) comfortable, the bathroom seemed to be recently renovated as it was pristine clean and the shower was powerful and hot.
Breakfast was tasty and a good selection from the traditional porridge to full fry-up and finally I must say that the staff were super friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in an elegant tree-lined terrace, overlooking the Firth of Forth, is the Abbey Hotel (formerly Greenside Hotel). Designed by the renowned architect William Playfair as a family town house for a wealthy merchant, this is an traditional Georgian building, built in 1820, with many of fine original features still in place. ***NEWLY REFURBISHED RECEPTION & PUBLIC AREAS****PLEASE NOTE RECEPTION IS NOT OPEN 24hrs.*Latest Check-In Time is 10:30PM - Should you have an unscheduled travel delay please call the Hotel to arrange a later check-in.The hotel is ideally situated for both business and leisure guests, being a 10 minute walk from the bustling cosmopolitan heart of the City.Only 10 minutes to Princes Street and Ocean Terminal for the Royal Yacht Brittania. Close to Playhouse Theatre (5 minutes walk), Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street (with it's famous gardens and views of Edinburgh Castle).Access to Edinburgh's International Conference Centre, the Airport and motorway networks is very convenient, and Waverley train and St Andrew Square bus station are close by. Our welcoming en-suite rooms offer the discerning traveller all the comforts expected, including Freeview Digital colour television, tea & coffee making facilities, hair dryer and telephone.****Free Wi-Fi (Internet access is available in all bedrooms), also lap-top hire if required********Snacks available within the hotel, upon request*********Local Golf can be arranged*****Most of the hotel's refurbished rooms (new soft furnishings include DUVETS on guest beds, although blankets also provided, if preferred) provide wonderful views over Royal Terrace gardens and out to the Firth of Forth, or the tranquility of our own private gardens to the rear.Edinburgh has all that the visitor could wish for. With many fine art galleries, museums and theatres, a cultural presence is never far away. History is reflected in the Royal Mile, the Palace of Holyrood House and the Castle, all contrasting with the elegant terraces of the 'new town'.As a base for touring, Edinburgh is unbeatable.There is a wide variety of local shopping facilities, including Harvey Nichols, restaurants and bars. Just a few minute's walk from the Omni Centre which boasts a Warner Village Cinema , bars, restaurants, nightclub and comedy venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and LateRooms so you can book your Abbey Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Greenside Hotel Edinburgh
- Abbey Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland