All reviews royal terrace no lift calton hill scottish breakfast double bed recommend this hotel within walking distance princess street quiet area room was clean and comfortable central location waverley station quiet at night royal mile the heart of the city pleasant stay short break
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Just home today hotel was nice and cozy we stayed in room 15 my mam became unwell during the night and the lady manager i never got her name was so good and helpful and waited with me while the ambulance arrived and while they were there .
Food was fab and all the staff made you feel at home garden is fantastic .all round id go back .the stairs will defo keep you fit and on the plus side we arrived early dropped our bags and when we came back our bags were in our rooms waiting for us .topped up our rokm every morning with milk and tea bags which is a plus and plenty of hot water for showers and baths

100%recommend if you want to stay in a peaceful quite hotel

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank treacyharte
Reviewed 21 August 2018

We came in the evening, one lady in the reception, who told us right away that she has had a heart operation. We had to carry our bags upstairs, our room was on the top floor and me not being in good shape, thought I cannot make it it as I have heart problems as well. We were elderly women, they new our ages! But we survived.I traveled with my sister. Our room was big. The lights were poor, especially in the bath room.
The breakfast good with several choices. It was close to the local buses.

Room Tip: Our view was to the back yard so it was quiet. It was a big room, not cleaned properly.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Axu39
AbbeyHotel E, Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Thanks for your review and for your slight exaggerated story...We had had a call a few days before asking about changing your room to a twin as you had booked a double.At no point did you mention anything about being old (so how we where supposed to know this before your arrival im a bit confused about as we don`t have a crystal ball) or having problems with stairs.that's clearly advertised and if guests have issues they have to let us know so we can move if possible to a lower floor
Your face twisted straight away when i said what floor you where on.Your sister was fine as i said you never said anything when you called
It was you and the fact you had to carry your own bag, that you had admitted you had over filled.
I did offer to help but not carry on my own as id just had a heart attack 6months earlier i did not say this straight away or refuse to help.
Your sarcastic response was OH i might have a heart attack myself carrying my bag was a bit uncalled for.
And that also doesn`t mean you have heart problems(you never mention that before now..even on your booking.com review you only mentioned the fact you had a heavy bag and you didn`t like the fact you had to carry your self) BECAUSE if you had you would have never been so sarcastic towards me and the fact you said after i returned after my day off you thought id had another heart attack that's why i wasn't in (in a very sarcastic voice)Was completely uncalled for and rude as if you though i was lying about the fact id had a heart attack.
Its not a joke
Not that i should have to explain myself to you or any guests
Im the manager not the bell boy
And sorry im not putting myself at risk because you forgot to inform us you had a heavy bag and to unfit to take it up stairs
But did say i would help just give me time to get up and also said if it made it easier as you checked in late just take what you needed and we would get staff to take up the bags in morning.
Your sister never had an issue just you even when i said why didn`t you let me know on the call that you where unable to do stairs,she replied we don`t have an issue with stairs that why i never said anything but are bags are a bit heavy and that was our own fault but we thought there might be staff to carry bags.

After all said and done we are glad you enjoyed Edinburgh and the hotel..I would how ever next time you travel to check the place your booking..
If it has lift or stairs,if it has porters

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Abbey for 3 nights in August. The location was perfect as it was within walking distance to all major attractions, yet far enough away from the Fringe Festival to be quiet at night. The owners and staff were lovely to deal with and the rooms were extremely clean. We were pleased with our stay here!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I was in Edinburgh for a concert and stayed in this hotel. All staff were very friendly and the owners give it a lovely relaxed feeling. Breakfast was served promptly and was cooked to perfection. My shower room looked newly fitted, because it was immaculate. Location was only a ten minute walk from Princes Street and Waverley Station. Thank you, The Abbey, I’d definitely come back again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2018

good3 night stay
only fault... top floor room 16.
anyone running water below
the shower would stop..could do
with a pump fitted..and blocked shower waste.
staircase will keep you nice and fit
if you are young