I'm very positive about FountainCourt: It represents good value for the money.
We stayed for a week with four people in a nice-sized, two bedroom apartment at only 139 GBP per evening. Nice kitchen with amenities adjoining a two-couch sitting area, and two small bedrooms with two beds each. Nice, big windows in each of the three rooms. Good-sized bathroom. Free wireless that was pretty reliable. Good cleaning staff (did our dishes!).
If the story ended there, this review would report five stars.
But a bunch of niggling stuff, which you can put up with, dulls the gloss:
- Thin walls. We could hear doors slamming and people walking (and banging) in the rooms above and near us. On several occasions this activity woke me up and kept me awake. It's worse that the design is for some of the doors in the main hallway to slam shut by design.
- They gave us two sets of keys, but one of them lacked a key to the building. They said "the building is almost always open, so this isn't a big deal." But on one occasion one of our party came back late and was locked out of the building, so had to wake us up. This is because the front office is not open 24/7 -- they have a phone number, but if you're from abroad then using the phone is not necessarily an option.
- The mattresses were pretty soft, which wasn't great for my back. The pillows were also quite flat, which wasn't great for my neck.
- The WiFi blocks some services, like Skype. If you have a VPN you can work around this, but it's annoying. I get that this is a not a low-bandwidth service, but it's not streaming video either.
If the FountainCourt people are reading this: These are all (except for thin walls/floors) simple things that are easily fixed. If you fix them, you are more likely to have happier guests who will return. If ever back to Edinburgh, we may indeed return here because of the positives, but we'll think hard about it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, Hotels.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fountain Court Apartments - Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fountain Court Apartments - Grove Hotel Edinburgh
- Fountain Court Apartments - Grove Edinburgh, Scotland