“3rd time lucky? NOT”

Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #100 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Returned again stupidly thinking things may av improved!!! NOT, our room was next to the lift so could hear it in use even at night, then the room was freezing even tho heating was on! The reason been that there were massive gaps around windows that cold air was cumin in thru! As was the outside noise, even louder on Friday night! So good night guarantee did not happen on any of my 6 nights that me and family stayed!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Curvyjo
CarolDickson, Operations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Curvyjo,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,050)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel was perfect for our purpose. Economical, clean, nice restaurant and very nice people. Fantastic beds...goodbye back problems for the entire stay!
Location surprisingly quiet and 10 minutes max from the center on foot!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela P

Dear Angela P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review about your stay at Premier Inn Edinburgh Haymarket. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & you found our location ideal for your visit to Edinburgh.
Great to read that you had a good nights sleep & no back ache, it would have made walking round Edinburgh much easier for you to enjoy. Once again, thank you so much for telling us about your stay.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 March 2014

stayed here last weekend in february friendly welcome on arrival, room as per preminn quality, on sat morning was woken by the bin men early on just before 7 not best as would have loved to have not been disturbed after a long day, did mention to reception but response was hes just said the bin men woke him sat morning followed by a sarcastic laugh (not impressed i did look out window to see where noise was from and definitely was bin lorry), so much for good night guarantee, the room service was poor too with room not done till really late on on sun and sheets not changed.
stayed at few preminn s in my times away and this was not the best experience.
i did have one meal in restaurant which was of good standard!

Room Tip: top tip if your staying dont take a room at the rear as if its bin day you ll be woken early for sur...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank a1traveller1
CarolDickson, Operations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear a1traveller1,

Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guest have a comfortable nights sleep, and we do guarantee this. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high level of service in all our establishments and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Your issues raised will be fully investigated and duly followed up by the Management Team at the hotel.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in early March as we were visiting friends.

Our reason for choosing Haymarket Premier Inn was due to the location in relation to the city centre (30 minute walk) and transportation (a few minutes walk from Haymarket rail). The room itself was a bargain: £50 for 2 nights.

The hotel itself is in an average location in terms of atmosphere, culture and eateries. We did eat lunch and breakfast at Bite Me - which was just around the corner. The food there was pretty decent.

The Premier Inn staff were mostly fine (cleaning staff were excellent, one of the receptionists was unhelpful). We requested a twin room and instead had a double bed and single sofa bed - which all in all was fine. Room was adequate and had coffee-making facilities, air conditioning, television and was clean.

Overall I won't return to this Premier Inn as the location is not fantastic and as Premier Inn's aren't chosen for their facilities, then the location needs to be more dynamic! I'd rather spend a wee bit more to have a better experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RubyBlues

Dear RubyBlues,

Thanks for your feedback. At Premier Inn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay. All feedback both positive and negative is investigated and acted upon to ensure we are offering our customers the best possible service. Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here as part of three nights in Scotland.

The staff on reception were first class as were the waitresses in the Resturant.

Room clean and tidy

Given a quiet room at the far end of the corridor so wouldn't be woken.

Paid just £39.99 for a nights stay amazing!

Room Tip: Get there early! Lots of hen and stag parties use this hotel. Get a room away from lifts and at t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FortyEngland

Dear FortyEngland,

Thanks for your review. Its great to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us here at Premier Inn Edinburgh Haymarket. It remains our main objective to provide a high standard of service and we’re so pleased you feel we achieved this. We look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn very soon. Thanks once again for taking the time to review your stay.

Take care

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night whilst on business. Everything looked tired and slightly grubby

As I booked in advance the price was low but that was no excuse for a lift full of litter and crisps and carpets on the landings that appeared to need a good hoovering

Breakfast was a typical Premier inn breakfast what can I say about that

God location near haymarket but not the standard Lenny gene advertises.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David R

Dear David R,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to offer a high standard of quality and service, and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Please be assured that your feedback is much valued by us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

In a few words: most useless reception desk ever, most limited breakfast ever, most annoying staff ever, farthest available parking ever, worst color standard ever (dark purple). The rooms actually are very good and clean, but I will never book a Premier Inn again in my life.

The sad part is it could be a great hotel with simple things:
- Renewing lobby, lifts and corridors;
- Replacing the dark purple by lighter colors in rooms;
- Changing the training of reception desk and reviewing policies;
- Solving the parking lot limitation by letting a valet service available.

Details:

I arrived around 9pm, tired after crossing Scotland from Isle of Skye to Edinburgh, but there was no place available on the hotel parking lot.

I asked reception desk about parking, because I had put it as request when booked at booking.com, but they showed me a "it is your problem" face and gave me a map with two different parking facilities, both around a 15 minute walk from there.

When I had the same problem in a hotel in Milan the reception desk solved the problem easily by calling a parking lot with valet service, they got the car to the park and returned to the front of the hotel when I checked out next day, charging me extra 10 euros for the valet. A simple problem to solve, but Premier Inn can't handle it well.

To avoid driving back on the next day or walking 1 mile with big suitcases, I told my family to get clothes enough for the night and next day from the suitcases to a backpack each, parked in front of the hotel, checked in, and left for parking the car, in an unknown city, late at night.

I chosen the Castle Terrace parking because it was closest to the attractions I would like to see on the next day, and twisted my fingets as most of our clothes for the 4-week trip was in the car in a strange place.

I asked reception desk for a spare key card to use when coming back (the lifts need it to work), but they told they could not give because policy restrictions. The lobby looks poor, the lifts look poor and weared, the corridors look dark (purple decoration) and weared.

The rooms, however, were confortable, well decorated, clean and pleaseant, except the purple color everywere, I hated it. Purple is not a relaxing color for most people, including me.

On next day I got downstairs for breakfast but the woman that was checking guests and rooms at restaurant took 5 minutes trying to make me pay for an extra person. I had reserved 2 rooms, one for 2 adults+2 children, other for 1 adult + 2 children, with breakfast included. I was traveling with my wife, kids (18yo and 14yo) and niece (8yo), so my reservations were for up to 3 adults+4 children total, I was trying to get breakfast for a total of 3 adults+2 children and they were still bothering me. Finally she understood and let us eat.

The breakfast is very limited, for the first time in my life I was not able to eat bread with cheese on the breakfast in a hotel.

As most pleaseant places in my opinion are in the countryside, I actually suggest avoiding Edinburgh or Glasgow and use smaller cities as base for exploring the country.

Room Tip: The rooms actually are the only pros in this hotel, probably any room will be OK, but I can't re...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Alexandre M

Dear Alexandre M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants, and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards