“Very good choice or Edinburgh.”

Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #92 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Galway,Ireland
“Very good choice or Edinburgh.”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Very good lower budget hotel. Ive stayed in Premier Inns before and this one doesnt let down the standard ive had before. The price is fair and the comfort is very good, we had a very big clean room with flatscreen tv. We didnt take the breakfast as it was dear compared to local cafes such as Jaspers two streets to the right on Morrison Link. The food in the restaurant wasnt wonderful but then i was there for the sleep and location so it wasnt a major concern. The hotel doesnt suffer from any loud street noise or nightlife for those that are lightsleepers. It is also just a ten to fifteen minute walk to the castle and or Princes Street.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Thanks for your review at Premier Inn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay and we are very pleased that your visit met your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as we continue to improve standards and meet all our customers requirements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My husband organised this trip for my 40th birthday. Hotel was very clean as was the room. As my husband has back problems we ended up in a diasable room. This was fine apart from the fact that the sliding door did not close properly. This was abit worrying when having a shower incase the steam set off the fire alarm!! The bed was a tad soft for my huddy and a bit short (he is 6.3) but I though it was fine. The only other grumble would be the other guests. We were on a floor where they were quite noisy and let their room door 'bang' shut on a few occasions. We went into the town centre on the Saturday Morning and found a lovely weatherspoons pub where we got breakfast with tea and toast for £9 between us. We did however have breakfast in the hotel on the Sunday which although nice I thought was abit expensive. We are returning to Edinbugh in December and this hotel would be a one we would consider using again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thanks for your review of our hotel. It is great that our clean hotel and facilities met your expectations and your stay for your birthday was a good one. We endeavour to deliver the highest level of service in all our establishments and your feedback helps us focus on doing this. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn again in the future.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed one night at the Premier Inn in Haymarket for business. I would have stayed the whole of the previous week except there were no vacancies due to the Pope's visit. As a result, we stayed in a guest house that was barely acceptable and which, had I reviewed it on TA would have been one long list of unacceptable problems.

It was a relief, therefore, to book into the Premier Inn.

The overall impression I had was that this place gets the basics just about right - without any frills added. Considering that it was about the same place as the ill-fated guest house I stayed in, I know where my money's going next time I'm in Edinburgh on business.

With Premier Inn you get spotlessly clean, good soundproofing, everything works, soft large comfortable bed. The restaurant food (close to 10pm when I checked in) was pretty good - and just what I needed after a long day travelling.

The impression I got was efficient, comfortable, easy... and basic. The staff were friendly, professional and good humoured too It's not until you've stayed in places where they don't even get those things right AND paid the same money for the privilege that you really appreciate a place that does.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tmukau
ayr,scotland
Reviewed 20 September 2010

WE were on a weekend visit to Edinburgh and only stayed at the Premier Inn for one of our nights . This is the largest Premier Inn we have stayed at and possibly the most disappointing. The room was fine, great in fact for two people, loads of space. Breakfast at just under £8 per person was good value. We had lunch and a couple of drinks in the local bars , but took a bus into the centre we fund little of interest in the Haymarket area.
We returned to the Premier inn and decided to spend some time in the bar. It was extremely noisy and tables were littered with empty plates and glasses. A considerable section was closed off , for a group of guests , we later discovered. I ordered a bottle of wine from the bar and the server offered to bring it to our table. We found one that was uncluttered and waited. Some 15 minutes later the same server came around collecting glasses, they must have been running short , and he asked if we would like anything from the bar. I informed him that I had ordered , he then repeated my offer without prompting and went to get it. There seemed to be adequate staff for the bar area it just seemed that the females among them would rather be chatting than working. We decided to order some food just before 10pm as this apparently is the deadline. The server then announced that he would have to check with the kitchen as it was late. We didn`t ask for much only the one plate and the bar is open until 1am. They did provide the food , they were still serving in the adjoining restaurant area, somewhat grudgingly we thought. We noticed that after ten seemed to be clean up time, for the first time in around 2 hours we saw a cloth produced to wipe the tables which were sticky with drink and food. Very poor standards for a Premier Inn, and no obvious sign of a manager or I would have had a word.
Although we will stay with Premier inns in the future we felt that this one was well below their standards and was a poor example for the brand.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honestman
Scone
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Now I don’t mind admitting that I’ve been a big fan of Premier Inn, both in its current version and as the old Travel Inn. Nice big family rooms, prices per room rather than per person, usually (but with one or two notable exceptions) reasonable food, close proximity to main roads and cities, knowing the accommodation would be of a certain standard and their price-back guarantee. But I have to say my recent stay at the Haymarket Premier Inn is making me think again – not because there was anything particularly awful about my stay, but just for some travellers they have moved so far from what once made them great that they no longer represent that outstanding value for money they once did.
What exactly do I mean? Well despite the expensive advertising campaign spearheaded by Lenny Henry telling me that I can get a room in a City Premier Inn from as little as £39 these deals are very difficult to come by and the best rate I can get booking 6 months plus in advance is in the region of £80. Now that’s not bad for a family room but now if you book as a single traveller they will give you a tiny single room with a single bed, desk and en-suite, instead of the spacious room with large double bed, sofa / fold down bed. So we can squeeze lots more single travellers into the hotel who in effect are now subsidising all the family groups paying exactly the same for a large room. Think I’m being taken for a ride here.

Then there’s the bar and breakfast room. Great value again if you are a family group when your kids eat for free: a bit overpriced if you are a single traveller. And that's if you can get in. Word of advice – don’t pay for your breakfast in advance – when I was there the breakfast queue was so long that some people were giving up and leaving without breakfast. And £2 for a hot chocolate which consists of a barman pouring boiling water on to some powdered Cadbury’s instant hot chocolate is robbery – buy some across the road and make it in your room.

So what of my stay? Pro’s - central, handy for the railway station and close to where I had to be. Con’s - breakfast queues so long I had to skip breakfast, room like a sauna, daylight robbery hot chocolate and rather expensive for what it was.

I’ll still use Premier Inn, particularly in places I don’t know if only for the guaranteed room standard. However I don’t think they are in the pre-eminent position they once were, particularly given the number of other budget hotels out there who increasingly offer better value as Premier Inn’s slips. And yes I would recommend it allbeit with the rider that you can now find better value nearby if you have the time to look

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Stone_of_Destiny
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We recently completed a 2 night stay at this hotel. It may have been unseasonally warm for Edinburgh but be warned, this hotel does not have air conditioning.

Our room was on the 4th floor of the hotel and even in the corridor it was like a sauna. The hotel provided a portable fan for the room but this was so loud that it was impossible to sleep with it on and the window opening was so minimal that it allowed next to no air flow into the room.

Needless to say, we did not sleep well during our stay and we made the most of Premier Inn's Goodnight Guarantee.

To the hotels credit, the staff were extremely understanding of the situation and apologetic and always remained professional. They even offered us jugs of iced water to try and cool down, bless!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flyingroo
Rome
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Located just 10 minutes walking from Princes Street and 20 minutes from the Royal Mile. Excellent crew. Good food. Large rooms.

• Stayed August 2010