“Excellent ”

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel
Wagga wagga
“Excellent ”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was great! Would stay here again and again. The girl at reception was very very helpful. Our room was pretty good, full kitchen, large bathroom and a games and lounge room! 100% recommend. No elevator so be prepared to climb some stairs

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hello,

Many thanks for your recent review of Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel. We are glad to read that you enjoy your recent stay with us and hope you will visit again soon.

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel has 2 passenger lifts that are on the ground floor just thru the main door after reception and these lifts service all 4 floors in the building. Sorry you missed them this time but hopefully when you return we can point you in the right direction.

Thanks Again for your review.

Lorna Padden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I often pop into this youth hostel for a coffee, however today I had lunch. It is a lovely hostel, with very pleasant staff. Food is of a high standard and very reasonable prices. Always very clean and tidy and a great place to sit and watch the world go by, up and down Leith Walk. Good location, just a short walk from the city centre, with bus stop a short distance away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Purplehazze,

Thanks so much for your review. We have really worked hard to develop "Haddington Place" our café within Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel.

We are continuing to develop the café so it has its own brand and becomes part of the community within Leith/Edinburgh. We are seeing more and more non-residents pop into the café and with positive reviews like this we hope to see "Haddington Place" become a destination in its own right.

We are currently in the process of setting up the café to have its own comments page, so this review really helps.

Much appreciated and please spread the word and keep popping in for your coffee.

Lorna Padden
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great hostel ! But in my opinion, if you are looking for a youth hostel, with a party atmosphere, this isn't the right Hostel for you. The Edinburgh Central Hostel accepts families and school classes, so you will see old grandmas and grandpas staying here and a lot of children hanging out in the reception. Anyway, if you really want a cheap place with an excellent structure to relax and spend a quiet night without the mess, this place is perfect for you. I don't know if this was because of when I stayed, I don't know in other seasons or during vacations.

Despite having booked a 6 female dorm, I ended up being allocated in a 4 en-suite female dorm, in which I was the only occupant! So I was in a "hotel room" paying a hostel price! The room was big and had individual lockers (bring your padlock). There were 2 bunk beds, which were comfortable but the pillow was really low. Each bed has a reading lamp and a stand for putting your mobile or a book, for example.

They also serve continental breakfast (£4.50) with toast, normal bread, 2 types of cheese and ham, jam, orange and apple juice, tea, coffee and milk, 3 types of cereal (cornflakes , muesli and chocolate flakes), 2 types of yoghurt (natural and strawberry) and apples. Yes! Outstanding breakfast for only 4.50£! They also have the hot Breakfast option (6£) with Scottish specialities (Haggis, Black Pudding, Sausages, Eggs, etc).

The hostel also has a "bar". But as I said, if you're expecting a dark room with loud music and cheap booze, you're on the wrong place. The bar is next to the reception and serves light snacks, tea and coffee, fruits and some alcoholic beverages. But you will only find families chilling on the sofa reading the newspaper.

The ECYH also has a fully equipped kitchen available for guests use. For those on a really tiny budget, it is perfect. There are pots, pans, 2 stoves, 2 ovens and 2 fridges, sinks. There are also tableware and glasses available.
Next is the "dinner room", to which also belongs a small sofa and some books and a cable TV.

I loved the place and I intend to stay there again when travelling with some friends . But if I return alone again, I'd try a place with younger and funnier atmosphere . But there's NO FREE WIFI! It costs 1£/hour and for using the available PCs on the reception, you also pay for the internet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nati_Eitel
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived there last sat night after not being booked in and due to problems with r previous hostel, they were so brilliant in fitting us in as being a emergency they did so. .. like a 4 star hotel... rooms unbelievable, staff was brilliant, bathroom and shower spotless. . A must for anybody

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed at Edinburgh Central YHA the night of 10 February. This place is very well located on a main road. This place has everything you would need for a visit to Edniburgh. The staff are lovely people. Ben checked me in. I was tired from a day long journey.

I had a room to myself that was very well appointed. It had a loo and shower and a nice view out a front window. The bedding was comfortable. I also like the individual reading lights on the beds. I was also thankful that my room was on the same level as the kitchen. Reception was only one floor up. Ben also gave me some helpful advice concerning my choosing here. This place is the best of the best.

The kitchen has hot water and everything one needs to make a meal. There is also a very nice television lounge. There is an excellent cafe on the main floor with a wide variety of food in case you forget to bring your own.

I had an early bus in the morning. There is a free phone to call a taxi.
Staff members Ivan, Martin, and Laura helped me find a taxi and also helped me with my luggage. They are very kind people.
This hostel is a good base to explore Edinbugh. I would have stayed longer if I could have. If I visit Edinburgh, I would definitely stay here again.
Yours truly,
Cate

Room Tip: I liked the room I had on the floor below reception
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Cate S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in Youth Hostel Edinburgh Central and it was a great place to stay for a night ! I think perfect for students ! Less money more fun what else you need we even played monopoly watched movie during our night time and have fun kitchen and also had a great break fast for just 6 pounds !

Room Tip: Well simple tip is that all rooms are ensuit so even if u will book personal room you will get a bat...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 11_M_J_27
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and this is one of the best hostels I've stayed in. My friend and I were placed in a 4-bed room with shower room/toilet attached. The room is cleaned everyday and the lockers are big enough to fit a small luggage. Though a lil far (about 5 mins walk) from the attractions, it is very comfortable and quiet at night. The only dissatisfaction I had was the Wifi, we had to pay to use the internet on hourly rate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends