“New review on old favourite”
Review of The Suburban Pantry - CLOSED

The Suburban Pantry
Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Having shared my experiences of this restaurant in the past feel that a new review was due.
Having been a visitor on our visits to Edinburgh are happy to say that the quality of food here has just got better and better and the clientele appears to grow and grow.

We are never disapponted in our meals and the staff treat us warmly at every visit.

Full marks to everyone and the chefs in my opinion excel themselves.

This is a place that allows you to study the menu before making a decision, there is a break between each course as am heartily sick of feeling rushed by numerous restaurants.

Long may this quality long continue.

1  Thank neutralobserver

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I visited for a Sunday lunch. The food was lovely but both dishes came out not quite as expected, for example a chicken and bacon salad was a chicken breast and 2 bacon rashers on a salad base but it tasted great. Internally the restaurant is creatively decorated with an interesting roof/ lighting. Overall a great experience with professional staff on hand. Locals should support this place and it's also worth a longer trip to find it.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Went for a quiet meal after work. When I booked I was told there was a big group in. However this did not affect the quality of the food or service. They made sure they took our order before the large group.

It was a small restaurant but you didnt feel squashed in nor was the noise overwhelming when it was full.

The food was excellent, the choice varied and the presentation superb

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We have eaten at Suburban Pantry on several occasions now, both for lunch and dinner, and have never been disappointed. The quality of food, service and decor more than stand up to some of Edinburgh's more salubrious eateries in the town center, and i would say much better value for money than most.
Recently the restaurant has introduced a three course dinner on Wednesday for £20 which we had to try.
The menu was excellent and my pork terrine with apple chutney deliciously meaty, my wife chose the chefs soup of the day which was a perfect accompaniment to a wet and cold Edinburgh night.
Mains were a delight, pork medallions with dauphinoise potatoes with an unctuous cider jus and perfectly cooked sea bass on a potato rosti .
Had we had room for a desert there were four or five on offer but unfortunately we had to go for the two course option as we were both replete.
Suburban Pantry has been a great find, a chef with a delicate touch with local produce and invisibly attentive service coupled with a good selection of wines and beers.
Fantastic

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I live within a few minutes of this friendly little bistro, and have visited it with my partner and young daughter nearly every week for the past two years. Whether we've stopped in for lunch, or just for a coffee and cake, we've never been disappointed by the quality of the food or the fantastic service we've received. It's not the cheapest place to eat in the area, but it's by no means expensive, and the quality of the food and hot drinks is far better than any of the neighbouring cafes and bistros.

Incidentally, it's a great place to take your kids, too - my two-year-old loves it as much as my partner and I do, both for the cakes and for the warm welcome she always receives from the friendly staff.

Highly recommended!