“Good food and service”

Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had lunch here on a misty Scottish day. I had the fish and chips which was really good my partner had the linguini which he enjoyed. For dessert I had the chocolate cheesecake which was jummy and my partner had the lemon posse which was excellent. This is a small place and often very busy so book a table. I find the interior ok as the main aim is the food. Service was also good and friendly. Well worth the trip!!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our first visit to the suburban pantry was not a disappointment, but we both agreed we would not go back. why? Well, it is really a gastro pub without the pub ambiance. The lack of soft furnishings make it very noisy so much so that we could not hear each other talk. There was a largish party also in when we went, and consequently, our meal of two courses took over two hours with very long waits. Our starters were good, but no bread or butter was offered. The main courses equally good........but not if you are hungry.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was our third visit to the Pantry and it did not disappoint. The menu is regularly changed with a good selection of dishes. The atmosphere is that of a small bistro but it is surprisingly quiet when full, given the size. Service can be a little slow when busy but this is a price worth paying for freshly prepared dishes. There was a mix up with one of our dishes but the host deducted the dish from our bill which in the circumstances was probably being overly generous but nevertheless a gesture greatly appreciated.

Visitors to Edinburgh need not be put off by the location. Blackhall is well served by a good number of buses. It is really only a 5 minute ride from the West End.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Visited here on a Saturday night - service excellent, food really well presented and the new 60 day matured steak melted in the mouth.
Raspberry cheesecake described by my wife as the best she has ever eaten!
Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have been to Edinburgh many times over a 35yr period to visit friends, this time they recommended this small restaurant which is tucked away in a row of shops on the main road. What a pleasant surprise. It was a set menu but with reasonable choices & an inexpensive wine list, but I chose with male colleagues beer brewed in Edinburgh (excellent) the ladies had wine by the glass or soft drinks (the drivers!) The decor is pleasant modern and tasteful. The food was excellent all members of the party enjoyed their choices. Three course meal with drinks and coffee for about £30 per head. Excellent food and excellent value. Our friends who are local, vowed to make it a regular destination. My wife and I will be back!