“Great apartment, perfect location and warm welcome”

Fountain Court - Stewart Apartments
Ranked #81 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cullercoats, United Kingdom
“Great apartment, perfect location and warm welcome”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed with my parents and our two year old. Our visit was a short one, only one night but we wish it had been longer. We arrived early, and were just going to leave our luggage with the reception team but our apartment was ready which was a lovely bonus. The reception team and housekeeping were so friendly.
The main bed room was much more spacious than I had expected and the second bedroom was a great size too.
It was a perfect location, great facilities for families, we'll certainly be back

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sarah b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

We chose these apartments largely on the strength of the very high TripAdvisor ratings that they have attained. As you can see from my other reviews, we have often used a number of apartments in London, so I was curious to see how this one compared on our trip to Edinburgh.

The location was good and it was only a modest walk from the station to get to Young Street. The area seemed both clean and safe and there were a number of nearby restaurants. Check-in was quick and we were allocated an apartment on the second floor.

I thought the room space was actually quite small in respect of the living area, the bedroom and the kitchen area, but the bathroom was, in proportion to the other rooms, quite big. It was, however, obvious from the outset that the quality of the furniture and furnishings was quite high. Looking round the kitchen area, I was pleasantly surprised to find little things that make the visitor’s life easier in accommodation like this. For example, there was washing up liquid under the sink (in addition to tablets for the dishwasher and washing machine), there were salt and pepper mills on the table, there was an oven glove, a washing up sponge and dishcloth – all new and clean. We hadn’t been supplied with anything like that in the London apartments, which means you have to either remember to take all these things with you or buy them separately, which is a real nuisance. So, full marks to Fountain Court for this; it was really appreciated. There was also a hairdryer, an electronic safe and a wind-up torch (ours didn’t work even after two minutes of furious winding).

We enjoyed the large flat screen TV in the living area and the other large TV on the bedroom wall. That was something else you don’t get in the London apartments at which we have stayed.

We slept well during both nights of our stay. I could see what others have said about noise from passing cars in the cobbled street outside, but it really wasn’t that noticeable at all on the second floor, though I saw that the company supplies complimentary ear-plugs for those who might be light sleepers. I was also pleased to find that room service is available daily as opposed to weekly elsewhere. So, it was great being able to get a change of towels each day. The apartment was also very warm, even though we switched off all heating for most of our stay. I see others have commented on this.

Although we enjoyed the place very much, overall, I do have a couple of suggestions for improvement that would have made our stay a little better. Suggestion number 1 is for a toilet brush in the bathroom. We didn’t have one. Suggestion number 2 is to have a rubber mat in the bath (or to make one available). When using the shower, I found the smooth, flat bottom of the bath to be quite slippy. Suggestion number 3 is about the instructions for use of the oven & hobs. I’m afraid I found the single page of instructions on the subject to be spectacularly poor. There is a paragraph or two on how to set the timed operation of the appliance and a further paragraph explaining how to adjust the level of the timer buzzer, both really useful things, but there is nothing whatsoever to tell you how to turn on the hobs or how to operate the oven or the grill. Being unfamiliar with this kind of oven and hobs (with the strange symbols above the buttons) I struggled with both and although I eventually managed to operate the hobs, never did work out how the oven or grill operated.

In all, we thought the place was excellent value for the money and would definitely return to these apartments again.

I would have rated it four and a half if that had been possible!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank kenc
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court - Stewart Apartments, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review and constructive comments.

We do offer an excellent location with 24 hour Reception. I am pleased that you appreciated the quality of our furnishings and the extras provided by our Housekeeping team. We do not have toilet brushes in the bathrooms since we offer a daily service and for hygiene reasons. We do offer rubber bath mats on request.

With regard to the noise-we are currently fitting secondary glazing to all windows.

We are updating our instruction manuals for the apartment appliances which should be clearer.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay overall and found the apartments to offer excellent value and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Stephen Kinnear
Reception Manager
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed for one night on a visit to Edinburgh. Apartment was spotless and would of happily stayed for a week. Location is ideal for all the bars, restaurants and shops. If you are looking for a real good meal Mark Greenaway has opened his new restaurant just around the corner!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed in a superior apartment which was clean, modern and well equipped. When booking as a couple, ask for a double bed as our room had two single beds pushed together which wasn't the most comfortable sleep I've ever had, although it was only for one night so this didn't matter too much.

The apartments are in a great central location just off Castle Street - handy for shopping, tourist attractions and bars and restaurants. A few other reviewers have mentioned the noise coming from the pubs on either side of the apartments but we didn't find this much of a problem, there was a bit of noise until about 1am but it went quiet after that. Checkout time is 10.30am but you can pay a bit extra for a late checkout which is a good option.

Overall, these apartments are great value for money and have everything you need for a short stay - would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Great stay. Very clean, great location 4 everywhere. Check out time a tad early but option 2 extend. Only complaint we have is double bed is 2 singles pushed 2gether so careful not wake up between the mattresses all in all a great stay and great value.

• Stayed January 2013
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court - Stewart Apartments, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you for your review and welcome feedback.

We are well located as you noted.

Please accept my apologies for the problem you experienced with your bed, this is not to our usual high Housekeeping standard and king beds should be made up without " a gap".

Our Housekeeping Manager has re-itterated this to her team.

I do hope you consider us when next planning a trip to Edinburgh.

Kind Regards

Stephen Kinnear
Reception Manager
Durham
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed in a superior apartment for 2 nights over New Year. The location is excellent, just a short walk to Princes Street and just behind George Street with lots of bars and places to eat.
The apartment was spotlessly clean, very modern and has some nice little extras like Blu-ray and surround sound, along with everything else you would expect. These are self catering apartments so you have a fridge to store your own drinks, snacks etc and cooker for breakfast and meals which is very convenient if you don't want to go out.
The apartment was very spacious. There was just my partner and I, however there would be plenty of room for a child too with travel cot, buggy etc.
Our apartment was at the back of the property and whilst there was no noise at all from other guests and neighboring rooms there was some noise early in the mornings from the streets below. I guess this can be expected at busy times such as New Year though and was fine with ear plugs (plus I'm a very light sleeper with sensitive ears!).
There is on site parking too at a reasonable cost however the car park was closed due to technical problems. I was contacted in advance and advised we could use the Grove Street car park which was a 10-15 minute walk. In reality it was more like 25 mins walk which was a little disappointing, however the parking itself was fine and we appreciated the prior warning!
We paid a bit more than I'd usually be prepared to with it being New Year, however these apartments do have some really good prices and deals at other times. I would definitely stay here again if we visit Edinburgh again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Excellent reflection on these apartments from Trip Adviser members, as usual. These apartments are decorated to a very high standard with super facilities and two of Edinburgh`s best traditional pubs either side. I thought that the noise from the Oxford & Cambridge bars might be a problem but it wasn`t. Serviced apartments seem to be all the rage at the moment and I can see why if Fountain Court, Stewart is anything to go by. Reception service was very good and yet not at all intrusive - in fact we didn`t come across anyone else during our four day stay. The only reasons that I haven`t scored a five is that the bedroom in our apartment was a bit on the small side and, despite not being deeply troubled by traffic noise personally, I could tell at certain times of the night and early morning why guests might be disturbed. I imagine that the front ground-floor bedrooms would be difficult in this respect so, taking into account previous reviews, I e-mailed and requested a quieter apartment and they duly obliged with a first-floor option. All in all, superbly convenient and extremly comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple