“Wonderful food and service”
Review of Mithas - CLOSED

Mithas
Price range: US$14 - US$112
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Mithas is an innovative and exquisite Indian dining experience that reflects true Indian flavours using traditional methods in a contemporary setting. The chefs were handpicked to deliver what was cited by known food critics as 'bold, exciting and unimaginable within Indian cooking'. Our contemporary take is rooted in age-old traditions, therefore delivering taste sensations that take you beyond your expectations but with a reminder of the origins. Mithas's preparatory methods include the three core Indian cooking styles; Tandoor (clay ovens with temperatures of up to 390ºC), Sigri (cooking over a coal flame) and Tawa (searing and griddling on hot plate). The food is immediately served as it is prepared retaining its freshness, fragrant and delectable flavours. We sincerely hope you enjoy the Mithas dining experience!
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed a great meal out with friends. A real gem - sophisticated take on Indian cuisine. Deserves the great reviews

5  Thank EmmaEdin

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the tasting menu and accompanying wines presented in a freindly and cordial manner.
We will return soon to try the special lunch menu with a summer cocktail in the bar.

2  Thank hungryharold
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I went there to try their food, have to say the place is really nice and well refurbished. The staff is patronising and everything went wrong from the start. Food was average, overpriced and very salty. They served us food with no vegetables even though was asked and told that was a complete meal. Overall I shall never go there again.

11  Thank Antonello S
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I visited Mithas with some friends and family to celebrate my birthday.The first thing that struck me as I entered the restaurant was its amazing design, lovely colours, clean lines and intriguing artwork and unusual jewelry pieces adorning the walls, this paired with the immediate offer to take my jacket upon entering suggested that this was going to be something extra special and I wasn't disappointed.

We started with a few cocktails in the bar area, the cocktail menu is extensive and featured many cocktails that I wasn't familiar with, all apparently are Indian inspired. We ended up having two or three cocktails each (in the name of investigation), with the Caribbean Mojito quickly identified as the group favourite; so fresh and coconutty. An immediate plan to return at a later date to sample their cocktail tasting menu was quickly agreed upon.

After moving to our table, (the waiter carried our cocktails over for us) we looked through the menu. We were suggested to try the 'Street Food' menu and after confirming that you did indeed get everything on the menu (16 dishes I believe!) for the set price, all five of us chose to order it.

The food arrived promptly and was presented beautifully, our waiter Purushotam introduced each dish (this was definately required as this was clearly not my normal tikka masala and popadoms). The flavours were subtle and significantly varied as to make each starter a unique experience and by the time we reached the main dishes I was already very impressed.

There was no let up in the quality when the main dishes arrived, my favorite being the roadside chicken curry cooked on the bone, a dish that looked more familiar to me, however, it tasted better than any other curry I have had in Edinburgh.

After completing the mains, my hunger was already more than satisfied but I managed to find some space for the desert course. The mango Indian ice cream was delicious and after viewing the cottage cheese based Ras Malai with a suspicious eye, it turned out to be a surprise favourite with more than half the group.

Just as I was getting ready to roll out of the restaurant feeling incredibly full and special the Mithas staff presented me with a delightful birthday cake, all I can say is I'm glad that it was small or I would have been defeated.

This was truly an amazing experience, the combination of the atmosphere, the quality and quantity of food and the service is in my opinion unmatched anywhere else in Edinburgh. I would thoroughly recommend Mithas to anyone who asks and I have already booked a table to return and try some dishes from their everyday menu.

A big thank you to all the waiters who served us Purushotam, Merwyn and Dylan you guys do an amazing job!

5  Thank AI84
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Visited in July 14 , looking forward to the chefs special tasting menu , only to be given the street food menu , but gave it ago .
A few taster courses then a main
Some creative and authentic flavours and styles.
However I found the prawns and mussels very bland , chances are frozen.
Higher quality base ingredients could make this a #1