“Owner very helpful, very pleasant stay”

Capital Guest House
Capital Guest House
Ranked #246 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed for 2 nights with my sister. We were very late arriving but the owner was nevertheless very helpful, offering to carry both our cases up the two flights of stairs. Comfortable room and very clean. Continental breakfast as advertised, and we were brought more tea and toast without having to ask. Amazing strawberry jam...! On leaving the owner and his wife were just as helpful as when we'd arrived, and wished us a safe journey home. Would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nessa A

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Despite the warm welcome, it didn't take long to realise that the state of this place was shocking - clearly not worth the amount we were being charged for and turned out to be one of the worst bed and breakfasts we have stayed in.

While I realise that the Edinburgh Festival pushes up prices, this establishment seemed to do everything it could to charge as much as possible and provide very little in return. Here are some examples and how they slowly turned the experience into a downward spiral of disappointments:

-When we first arrived we made ourselves a cup of coffee in the room. The milk was past its sell by date and so was undrinkable.

-Furniture in the bedroom had not been replaced for a long time, if at all. As a result, beds were very creaky and uncomfortable.

-Taps were broken, shower wasn't working properly. Basically, nothing seemed to have been fixed.

-To top it all, the breakfast. Oh, the breakfast. Nothing was fresh. Even a commenter who gave it 4 stars below admitted that the cheese was PLASTIC. But of course, the tragic thing in this day and age is that this is what people will accept - and pay a fortune for. As with everything else about this place it was the cheapest possible everything - tinned fruit, plastic cheese you'd get in burger king, nothing fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if these owners didn't know how to boil an egg given that all of the breakfast comes from a packet.

They even changed what should have been a foyer to another guest bedroom - again to maximise profits and minimise customer experience.

This is a real disappointment, please avoid this place as you would be better off sleeping in your car!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank VasTim
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were hugely disappointed with this guest house. We had booked for four nights during the Edinburgh Festival. The proprietor was very kind in helping us with our baggage, but as soon as we arrived at our room he asked us to pay for the four nights, in fact became very insistent when my husband said he would prefer to pay at the end of our stay. We were aware that there would be no cooked breakfast and were told it would be "Continental Breakfast" which turned out to be cereals, white toast and tinned fruit. There were unappetising squares of processed cheese on the table and the coffee was very weak. If he is not going to provide a full Scottish breakfast then at least the produce should be of good quality - we are very used to eating continental breakfast in France but this breakfast was a joke!

Our room was very small and the twin beds were under a sloping roof so you could not sit up in bed without banging your head. The mattresses and pillows were very hard and the bed frames creaked and groaned loudly as soon as either of us moved. The bathroom was across the hall rather than ensuite and didn't feel very private.

After breakfast on the first morning my husband explained that we were disappointed and would prefer to reduce our stay to two nights. The proprietor reluctantly agreed to this and immediately took payment for two nights. A few minutes later he came to our room and told my husband that he had decided he would rather have the room empty and would we please leave immediately. He refunded one night's accommodation in cash and ten minutes later we had packed and left.

At £96 per night for a small twin room, this was very poor value for money and very disappointing. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank OldhamChrisW
Reviewed 12 August 2012

this is my very first review for TA but i felt a strong need to warn any potential customers who are considering staying here to forget it, as it was, undoubtedly, the worst experience i have ever had at a bed & breakfast in my entire life. i will be making a formal complaint to the scottish tourist board as well as trading standards as this place is a total joke.
beds were like a contraption device which were impossible to sleep in, and the breakfast completely disgusting, just cheap and nasty. i am at a loss as to how this creakingly inefficient and nasty establishment has gained 3 stars from the scottish tourist board. it makes me quite angry as to how such places can get away with it. as there is another guestouse very close by, which is also 3 stars and is miles better than this place. i have also stayed at another guesthouse and paid exactly the same and had way better beds and breakfasts.
when i complained to the owner about the lack of sleep and the appalling quality of the breakfast, (hoping he could move us to another room which may have had better beds - from this century perhaps)- and that he could perhaps boil us an egg for breakfast the following day or at least provide porridge or fresh fruit, i was effectively shouted at and was asked to pack my things and leave immediately. he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in receiving any feedback from his customers about room for improvement, and just wanted us to leave as he deemed us 'troublemakers' for just expressing our dissatisfaction.
he became deeply unreasonable, not to mention unpleasant, and refused to offer us any form of compensation for the previous evening.
i have stayed in hotels and guesthouses all over the world, including in developing countries such as Nepal, Ghana, China and so on. And i have never in my life witnessed such blatant disregard for customer satisfaction and indeed service.
i really hope this place goes out of business as soon as possible, and that more people voice their opinions as we need to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to such hideous establishments who charge £80 per night, if we do not then we run the risk of them continuing to provide pathetic customer experiences, not to mention a terrible impression of scottish hospitality on the world stage.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank llinoswynjones
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

This place signifies everything that is wrong with modern British hospitality, where profit margins and cost cutting gains far greater priority over customer experience. The sad thing is that so many people are willing to put up with this which means that standards will never improve.

Where do I start?

Perhaps with the room. Dirty, old, and where the creaky loud beds haven't been changed for over a century which means that having a decent night sleep is impossible.

The breakfast - we were promised a continental breakfast when absolutely nothing was fresh. Breakfast consists of:

Tinned fruit
Processed cheese slices
Value bread from a packet
Cereal from a packet

Don't hope for one second for anything cooked, eggs or anything fresh!

To top it all when we asked to have a word to say that we were unhappy with the breakfast, before having the chance to speak we were immediately subjected to a long winded defensive speech by the owner (presumably because he's had to deal with so many complaints) saying that he knows best because he's run the place for 14 years. No interest whatsoever in listening to suggestions for improvement.

I felt completely violated and angered as to how someone could show such disregard to criticism. Places that refuse to change or listening to customers are destined to fail.

Without a doubt, the worst place I've stayed in my life.

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank Osian J
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Myself and partner stayed over the Jubilee weekend and have to say enjoyed our stay at the guest house. On arrival we were met by the owner who was very polite and helpful, welcomed us warmly to his guest house and helped us with our bags and provided us with plenty of information on things to do and bus routes. Made us feel welcome and would recommend staying and will be happy to stay there again when we return to finish seeing the sites of Edinburgh.

The room had all what was required, we were given a larger room then when we booked, double bed and single bed, which provided us with ample room, the bed though was hard but suitable for a good night sleep when we came back in the evening. Also tea and coffee, tv and ensuite shower room that was provided with a powerful shower that was more then suitable.

The breakfast in the mornings was as advertised, a continental breakfast, with fruit juice, tea, coffee, various cereals, fruit and yoghurts and toast brought to the table with plastic cheese, cheese spread marmalade and jam provided. Gave us a suitable starting m,eal to the day.

The guest house itself is a 15 min walk to the north bridge and close to bus route that allowed easy access to the sights of Edinburgh.

After checking out the owner wished us a safe journey home and allowed us to leave our car in the parking spot until we finished site seeing which was very nice of him.

The place did exactly what it said on the tin, nothing fancy but adequate for what we needed and would recommend staying if up for a couple of days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven L
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed here during the Edinburgh Marathon weekend. Participating in the full marathon. Preparation is vital, so I brought my own breakfast (porridge) to be boiled for 3 mins on a hob, I asked could this possibly be done? I was refused. So I went out purchased porridge that you use boiled water in from my room not a problem. No bath in the house to have for aching muscles.

Breakfast on 2nd morning, I thought we were going to have a Scottish breakfast. I was disappointed. Tinned fruit and plastic square burger cheese on the table. No choice of white/brown bread. Certainly NO eggs (found in one of the previous reviews) I could see that other guest were also disappointed and recommended a place to have breakfast in town.

The rooms were clean and bed comfortable, not that we needed much rocking. Bathroom very small. The room does need updating.

I was not overwelmed by this B & B. I have friends who have B&B's and have been to a few over the years, I do not feel that I got the service, friendliness that has been offered in other B&B's.

He was very keen to take the money which was not cheap £178.00 for 2 nights extremely easy money I feel.

Room Tip: The back of the house has a better view which he did offer. Currently there is gas works going on o...