“Regent House Hotel in Edinburgh”
Review of Regent House Hotel

Regent House Hotel
Ranked #128 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
York
“Regent House Hotel in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Regent House Hotel - Edinburgh

I booked 2 rooms here. One for myself and a shared double for my mother and my daughter. My room was small but clean. The TV worked, and there were tea making facilities that I did not use. The carpet was a bit thread bare. My room had a bath room and toilet. When I turned the shower on it ran cold so I left it running for a while. After about 3 minutes it started to warm up and got very hot. After a bit of adjustment it worked fine and I had a good shower. The room itself was quite small.
The bedding looked in good condition and clean. We were told to keep our keys as one of the keys opened the front door.
The room my mother and daughter got did not have a bathroom or toilet. They had to share a bathroom/toilet with 3 other rooms on the same floor. They found it difficult to operate this shared shower.

In the morning we all went for breakfast, which is cold buffet style, so it is cheese cold meats etc. We were asked if we wanted toast and they did not really bring enough for 3 people. I probably could have asked for more. The bowl of tinned fruit only had peaches or fruit salad. Grapefruit would have been nice. We were asked what type of eggs we wanted. I must admit that I thought we were going to get a proper Scottish breakfast but out came a single egg on a tea plate. We were a bit disappointed with that. I ended up eating 3 yogurts as there was not enough otherwise. I have since checked the website and it is accurate. I should have checked better before booking. I found the overall service satisfactory. Location is very good and probably the only reason anyone would use this hotel.

Summary
I booked a room without a bathroom and did not realise. I booked a hotel that did not provide a proper Scottish breakfast and did not realise. The room itself was ok. The breakfast was disappointing and a bit of a let down. I have used many hotels and never quite been offered a breakfast like this.

Room Tip: Shop around and go for breakfast somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gary C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Very clean throughout hotel staff very polite and helpfull even booked our taxi vast range of breakfast more than adaquate room as i was a family of 2 adults and 3 kids was warm and well located and no noise from streets all in all was very happy with my stay.jacqueline nelson.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Algarvia, Portugal
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I stayed there for three nights. The hotel is clean and is quiet but If you have a question to do there is nobody in reception to help you, We wanted to ask a few question about our trip to the highlands and my surprise was when I realised that the same girls (really nice and kind) who serve breakfast have to clean the rooms being receptionist at the same time!!!Runing up and down all the morning...Manager no show at all, we only saw him once, to pay on arrival. He needs to improve his way to run the hotel and take care about the customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loraport

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Conveniently located for tourism and shopping. Small room and bathroom, but that's pretty normal for that part of the world. No elevator, of course, and the stairs are really steep. Ok breakfast. Nice staff, but they're hard to find sometimes.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The room is cosy with clean sheets. The only problem we had was the confusing staircase leading to our 4th floor which was also quite narrow for big luggagges. The Manager and his staff are very friendly. Breakfast is good and the location of the hotel is ideal as its just walking distance to the town center.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I would give the place three stars, because it's not the cleanest place, but considering the location and price, it's acceptable. The problem is the level of disrepair. The lights are out in the stair well to the flat, and in the interior hallway of the flat. To make things worse, the carpet on the stairs has holes to catch shoes, and some of the steps are broken. Two (sober) people independently tripped in the stairs. One injuring her foot and requiring a visit to the hospital. The owner said it wasn't his fault, because it was somebody elses job to replace the light bulbs.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stopped here for 2 nights on the top floor with a front view window which was good, and it opened so that was an immediate bonus! They had a working TV which is nice when you don't feel like walking aound in the sun all day. Bear in mind im only 22 and have been well travelled the service at the check in was poor, I got looked at for a second as if to say Im not sure if i should give you a room. but then proceeded... Ive learnt that there is free wifi? Wasn't told about it so obviously missed out.

The kettle and tea facilities in the room were ok... however it looked like i had been left someone elses shaving cream on the tea tray?! WHAT?! unhygenic for a start! The light above the sink was broken so you had to stick your finger all the way in to turn it on (a bit dangerous) the toliet and shower were outside which I already knew. This was overly small but did it's job afterall it's a toliet! I used the shower once, too small and not very nice to be in wouldn't reccomend it. Although it was clean!

The handyman was laying on the stairs painting and there were no wet paint signs...?!
Also the fire extinguisher was missing from outside out room... promising if there was a fire.

SO THE NOT SO GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP! There was a boiler outside our room in a cupboard that just HUMMED and GROANED all night long, sometimes it sounded like an aeroplane taking off! NOT GOOD AT ALL...

Breakfast was a bit crap. 1 Egg and 2 slices of toast with no option for more. No beans or anything and a selection of cheese and ham... The service was a poor and we were greeted by a pointless host behind a counter? She didn't do anything!
There was also a very kind lad offering tea and cofee and egg but he could use a few more people skills I think it's a ok stay if you have nowhere else to stop.

Good for younger generations like myself. Nothing more.

Room Tip: Any room but the one next to the toliet, or on the top floor on the right! Just don't do it! Hi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends