“Amazing Location... But thats it”
Review of Regent House Hotel

Regent House Hotel
Ranked #129 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Amazing Location... But thats it”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Well, Lets start of with the price - £99 for one night in the City Centre is great. The location is physically less than 5 minutes walk to the Omni Centre / PlayHouse / Comedy Clubs / Princess Street etc. Absolutely amazing location. The Hotel itself - We were on the top floor with shared toilet facilities (Something new to me). To be fair we never encountered a problem with someone using it at the same time as we wanted. The room was very small but was cosy. Free WIFI is a must these days and we were not dissapointed. Some major hotels need to get with the times !! In the mornign we went for the breakfast (Included in the price). It was disorganised and we ended up getting up and leaving before the eggs were brought out as people were being served in no particular order. Overall a bit of a shame as it is in an amazing location. Would stay here again but not for a penny more and certainly not for the food !

Room Tip: Some rooms (On the very top floor) Have shared "toilet facilities" Meaning there is a show...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Firstly, you could not ask for a better location - tip-top. Ten mins from Waverley Station and near to eveything you could want to see. Second, the building is real 'New Town' Edinbugh (Georgian - lovely layout and feature staircase etc.) Nice staff - very helpful and smiley. My (single) room was clean but two gripes (i) the bed was hard - and I am not imaging it! and (ii) the shower (in the morning) was cold. Now - I do like a hot shower in the morning (pernickity old thing that I am!) and it was not up to scratch. A tepid dribble was not what I had in mind. While I was at the hotel, there seemed to be about a thousand American gap year students lolling around. Some of then had hardly dressed and came down to breakfast in the tshirts they had slept in and without their shoes on. Now - this is not the fault of the hotel (and the breakfast was lovely) but this lent the whole place the feeling of being a bit of a dorm for teenagers - a sort of doss house for kids away from home for the first time on their grand European tour - and it is so much nicer than that. Overall - a good place, but I might return to my 'favourite' Edinburgh hotel (see other reviews) next time I visit.

Room Tip: I hada single room at the back. Steep stairs - but that is part of the charm of the hotel. Don...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Myself and partner stayed here for a valentine/birthday break. We were on the top floor which was fine, shared toilet and shower which didn't really bother us as we were just using the hotel as a bed for the night.
Plus sides, perfect location (within walking distance of everything) and an excellent price for such a central locatio.
Down sides, bed was solid and the heating was on all night with no way to turn it down which resulted in a terrible nights sleep.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Stayed here at the start of February. Booked as a birthday weekend away for my boyfriend. Didn't realise the hotel was so central and within easy reach to pretty much everything you'd want to see in Edinburgh. Greeted by really friendly lady who was the owner.. Very happy to help with everything. Breakfast is basic but good choice - typical continental style with choice of eggs as well. We stayed on the top floor which was great, my only quarm with the stay was that there was no blind/curtain in the bathroom window. That would of been fine had the window been stained.. Rather than a clear window which overlooked the street. I asked one of the guys that worked there on the first night if there was anything to out up on the window, he assured me he'd find out. However, nobody came back to us with anything.. So we had to use one of the towels. Overall great location and value for money in a charming building. I'd return.

• Stayed February 2013
Bangor, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed here for a lads rugby trip, two twin rooms were booked. Both were little more than closets. Beds were about 12" apart. As it was just guys we were not looking for airs and graces, just as well as there were none. On arrival at breakfast we were asked how we would like our eggs cooked, i asked for poached " sorry we dont do that here, fried or scrambled!" and when the eggs arrived It was a lone fried egg on a saucer. The continental meats were straight out off the packet and hadn't even been seperated. The "bathroom" shower was filthy and you had to run around in it to get wet. Had I stayed here with my wife I would be divorced. Stay away!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank scott h

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

bolton, England
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed in the basement apartment owned by this Hotel (which is actually a B&B) for Hogmanay 2012/2013 with 5 friends.
First impressions were great, very excited to be in Edinburgh and please with the Modern decor and set out of the apartment.

The apartment was booked via Booking.com as was advertised as having an En suite which didn't exist. Also advertised that we would have a private bathroom which was correct but unfortunately we have no running hot water in the bath and the shower didnt work. This was reported almost immediately to the Receptionist and we were told a plumber would be coming out to fix it whilst we were out. (New Years eve day???? Very unlikely)

When we returned we still had no hot water. this was reported AGAIN and we were told that a "colleague" has replace a part (not a plumber) so they couldn't understand why it wasn't working.

5 Women unable to shower on New Years eve is less than ideal! The "colleague" then returned and removed the shower head, didnt fix the hot water problem. It was suggested we bathe in the sink???????? Are these people for real!!!!

We were given the option to use the STAFF shower room........................not the Hotel one!
So it was New Years Eve and we didnt want to dampen the evening and decided to tackle the shower problem the next day. We were told the owner was away in Germany (i think) and he available to speak with at 10am the following morning.

A friend went up to the Hotel and witnessed the receptionist being shouted at by the owner on the phone for interrupting him on New Years Day, she refused to speak with him and put the phone down. Apparently "He is always lime this"

When a friend explained our situation to the owner his response was "Well you didn't have to sleep on the street so what's your problem" CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ITS BEST wouldn't you say????
He then went on to say that he would refund us £30 between 5 of us for the inconvenience. Complete insult if you ask me! To say he was rude and unprofessional is an understatement.

Hotels survive on word of mouth and good reviews. Bad luck mate! This incident will be taken further and i can assure you that business will not be booming for you in the future if you continue with your stinking attitude towards customers!!!!!!!

On a whole Edinburgh was absolutely amazing and will definitely be returning.....................to a friendlier and well run establishment in the future.

May i add that none is this should reflect badly on the Reception staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fairy19844
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I stayed for three nights at Regent House Hotel and loved it. The neighborhood was convenient for all that I wanted to see while I was in Edinburgh. I noticed several reviewers were not pleased with the breakfast but I found it to be fine.
The rooms are really clean and tastefully decorated with all that you need including free wifi.
My room and bathroom was clean and cosy.

The location is great, the price very reasonable ( Booked through booking.com only paid £50 for the room), and the staff is amazing!! Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo