“Good location! Pleasant hotel!”
Review of Regent House Hotel

Regent House Hotel
Ranked #128 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good location! Pleasant hotel!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were staying in Edinburgh for the night to see the lion king at the playhouse and choose this hotel. It is a short walk away from the theatre, close to shops and bars are close at hand. Pleasant place, rooms have a toilet and shower. The beds are comfy. There is also a kettle provided to make tea and coffee. Rooms are a nice size. Breakfast was included but we decided to sleep instead so can't comment on that. Full payment on arrival. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed for one night, no parking facilities or vouchers . Hotel was very tired looking. A computer area with a dirty mattress propped against the wall and a door curtain held up with string, do you see where I am going with this.
The room was on the top floor, three flights up, which is fair enough as lots of buildings are like this in edinburgh. The room was ok, bed linen and towels clean, tea / coffee facilities , tv etc. mismatched furniture, an old worn out carpet. The bathroom was tiny, and grubby, mould spores growing around the shower cubicle, the sink was small with a glass shelf above it, hard to brush your teeth etc .
When you go away you expect to stay in an abode that is of equal or better standard than your own home, this was like a youth hostel or bad Blackpool guest house. We wouldn't go back.
The breakfast was not great.
The location of the hotel was fab.
This could be a lovely hotel if it was renovated, a missed opportunity by the owner. The only good thing was the location. It seems like the owner doesn't really give a stuff.
The staff were pleasant and friendly

• Stayed November 2013
Herning, Denmark
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had book 4 nights at this hotel. I am glad my son is a teenager and not a small kid. The hotelroom was really bad, and we spend at little time as possible at the hotel. We skipped the breakfast, which is included in the price, after the first morning. Dairies were kept out without cooling at least 1 hour before the breakfast was served. The only thing that worked was the cleaning.

Room Tip: Don't book the 52m2 family room. I don't think it even exists. We booked it and ended up in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Eva S
Peebles, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I've just mistakenly booked this hotel on the wrong date via Booking.com (booked for 06/09/13, needed 28/09/13 - yes .... I'm a total muppet).

When I contacted the hotel - within the space of hours of making the initial error - to ask for a cancellation (couldn't get a new booking with them as they are fully booked on the date that I need the accommodation for) I was informed by their member of staff (Sofia) that there is a 100% cancellation fee - so, I've effectively been penalised £59 for making a genuine mistake when booking. Charming.

This "100% cancellation fee" policy is utter garbage and, accordingly, this review is intended to rate my experience of what is - whether by design or simply due to a startling lack of empowerment of the front-of-house staff - shameless and exploitative brigandry by this establishment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ben G
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed there overnight on a quick trip to Edinburgh. The staff were friendly enough and allowed me to check in early as they said my room was ready. No wonder!! It was in the basement beside the kitchen and cleaning closet. It was dark & dingy, the window looking out to a stone wall with a metal grate over the window. I immediately went back upstairs and asked for a different room. I was told they only had a family room left and it would be more money, so it probably stayed empty while I stayed in the hovel. It was also stuffy and had an odd smell. Didn't feel comfortabe leaving the window open when I slept. The noise from the kitchen woke me early as well. This might be an okay hotel if I'd had a different room. It definately wasn't worth the money even with breakfast included. Canned fruit with stale croissants, cold meat, cheese and sausage rolls. Next time I'll stay out of the city and bus in as I had a lovely B&B the night before and paid half the price with a full hot breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to be put in Room #5. It is the same cost as the upper rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Frankfurt
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very good location and friendly helpful staff. Historic building from 1805 with a special charm of historic Edinburgh.
Everything fine, could be revamped but it is clean and tidy. Free wifi and Internet corner with free printing facilities which is very rare and unusual. We will stay again in December visiting the Xmas market.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Aby62
hamilton
Reviewed 29 June 2013

my fiance and myself stayed here as we were booking our wedding the next morning and were looking for a nice overnight stay and came across this hotel - although this isnt a hotel it is a B&B!! It is in a lovely location and building and has good location but upon entering our room we wanted to make a speedy exit!! There was SICK on the carpet to which we were told it wouldnt be cleaned until the NEXT day!! The smell was awful!! There was a mound of female long black hairs down the toilet - which was taken from the shower drain and put down the toilet which wouldnt flush away!! There was NO soap in the bathroom and the blinds in the bathroom wouldnt even go all the way down you had to use the toilet and shower with the window exposed!! The room itself had NO working central heating - only a small electric heater which was way too small for the room !! There was NO bath towels to get dried only smallish towels that smelled really musky as did the bedding and pillows!! There was NO blinds in the room at all!! - so you had to go to bed and get ready etc with a fully opened window!! The window in the room didnt close all the way down it closed leaving a really big gap with a freezing cold draft - we had to try to cover this gap with our towels but to no avail!! Lastly upon leaving they had blocked the bottom of the stairs off with a massive desk so we couldnt get out with our luggage my fiance had to climb over the desk etc to move it!! FIRE HAZARD!! PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE THIS PLACE IS UTTERLY FILTHY AND A DISGRACE TO SUCH A LOVELY CITY!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple