“Small but cosy, very clean and welcoming”

Ardenlee Guest House
Ranked #294 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We happened upon this Guest House on Trip Advisor when looking for accommodation in Edinburgh for a one night stay.
The reviews were very positive and so we happily booked a room and everything lived up to its billing.
A large bungalow almost opposite Edinburgh University, with off-street car parking on a bus route that takes just 20minutes for a fare of £1.40 to reach the centre of Edinburgh (2012 prices).
We stayed in Room 6 which overlooks a well kept back garden and a former Council housing estate. The estate was quiet and reasonably well cared for . No extraneous noise at night.
Free wi-fi and Satellite TV made for a pleasant surprise when we returned to our room after visiting central Edinburgh.
The morning breakfast was pre-booked the night before - just in case you don't like the black pudding or potato pancake delicacies!
There was ample selection for breakfast and the conservatory made for a very pleasant meal with the other guests from all over the world!
I happened to leave a phone charger behind and the owners obligingly mailed it back to me... that is just the sort of people they are!
We found a gem!

Room Tip: Front rooms face the main road and although double-glazed could be more noisy that rooms at the back...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I spend 2 nights at Ardenlee Guest House in June 2012. It is an older Victorian house, with winding staircases. I had an exceptionally large room with a sitting area by a bay window. although I had asked for a single room (same price). Although the room wasn't ready when I got there, I simply left my bags and when sight-seeing. When I came back my bags (heavy) were already in my room, on the 3rd floor. The shower is small, but functional, and the bed is comfortable. The room could be refreshed a little.Cooked breakfasts (and other choices, cheese, fruit, cereals) are served in an astonishing red and white Victorian "salon," Hosts Kay and Kenny are very hospitable.When you vacate your room in the morning, you can leave your bags there if you want to continue to explore and return for them later. Ardenless is well located. 15 minute walk to the bus station, a few minutes more for the train. It's an easy (a little uphill) walk right onto Princes Street and the castle. Edinburgh is presently under quite a bit of constructon, so beware of traffic jams! For you organic food lovers, there is a nice restaurant called Urban Angel on your way from the Guest House to Princes Street. Ardenlee is a friendly place in a good location.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The only reason I would recommend this accommodation is because of the price. Edinburgh is a very expensive city, and this was a decent value for the location. It is nicely situated in New Town, close to buses that take you into Old Town, and the shopping areas; in a city as hilly as Edinburgh, this was appreciated! The owners seemed friendly enough. I did not see the hostess until we were leaving because I didn't eat breakfast there; I didn't have time due to an early-morning tour but my husband did manage to get down there and reported that it was very poor. We had just come from 3 different B&Bs in Ireland where the service/breakfast was great, so maybe this was part of a the issue. One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was due to the option to have a B&B experience and an ensuite bathroom. The ensuite bathroom in our room was a joke. It is literally an add-on in the corner of the room; you have no room to move about in it and my biggest issue was that it was DIRTY. I can not stand a dirty bathroom, and this one definitely was. I could see that the area around the toilet had not been cleaned (there was actually hair/dirt around the toilet from previous guests), and the shower stall was moldy/dirty as well. The bathroom fan was sooo loud. I felt bad for our neighboring rooms. The window would not open/close properly, and it happened to be an exceptionally warm time in the city, so this was annoying. You expect B&Bs to be charming, this one just seemed decorated in an out-dated/random and cheap way. Also, the bed was very uncomfortable; we could feel the springs in our back. We only used the room for sleeping, so that made it bearable. We were gone most of the day, and the one time that my husband did have a chance to get down to try and address the issues, the owner was outside with friends and seemed to be very preoccupied and he felt bad bothering her. I see that there are a number of great reviews here, so I am hoping that we just had an outlying bad experience. I try to be an honest reviewer on this site because it has helped me a lot. I would not recommend this place to friends/family. The price may seem right, but not if you are expecting a nice, quality room/ensuite, and thus, stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My family of 7 adults had a great stay of at the Ardenlee Guest House. We were spread out over two of the three flats that make up the Guest House. But that worked out fantastically. We had a double with bath, a single with bath and a suite that slept four with a bath and kitchen. The breakfast was really great! And Kay was so helpful before and during our stay. She got us situated, pointed us to the great French restaurant across the street, booked our cab to the airport and made us feel at home.

The New Town location is perfect. Its on a bus route that gets you to the shops of Princes and Rose streets in 4 minutes and to the Royal Mile in no more than 10 minutes. It was quiet and had a grocery, coffee shop and pub as close as the bus stop.

My whole family enjoyed our stay. I would really recommend this for any type of travel. I saw businessmen, couples (young and old) and everyone was pleased.

Room Tip: Ask for the apartment (#3) if you have two couples. You'll get the kitchen and sitting room as...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
EdinburghKay30, Manager at Ardenlee Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write your review. We really enjoyed having you stay with us.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

The B&B is in 2 separate buildings next to each other. The B&B is easy to find. You can take the bus or walk (about a 15-20 minute walk from the Tourist Information located next to Waverly Train Station). The staff is friendly and welcoming. Breakfast is wonderful with lots of choices (oatmeal, eggs, sausage, yogurt, cheese, fruits, cereal, toasts) and service is fast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time to write it.
We really enjoyed having you stay with us.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The guesthouse is divided over 2 houses. In one the breakfast is served you you might
have to make a very short walk. Rooms are very high and look a bit old fashioned glamorous.
But the are clean only we had a really small bathroom. There is television on the rooms
but also in the special living room. You can reach the guesthouse coming from the centre
of Edinburgh easily by foot but you can take also 2 stops with the bus(ses).
Its is situated in a uit area , so very little noise in the evening and nights.
The lady and the lord of the guesthouse are very friendly and helpfull.
Breakfast (full English or parts of that) is of a good quality. Due to the fact that the breakfast room is not to big you might in the weekends have waite a few minutes for a table.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fmoreijn

Thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time to write it.
We really enjoyed having you stay with us.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have been using this B&B for 6 months now, and I highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Edinburgh. The rooms are cleaned daily, to a high standard. The staff and owners are very friendly and helpful. The choices of Breakfast's are varied and always tasty !
The rooms vary from single to double to Huge ! there are some very nice rooms in this B&B, and I reckon I've been in most of them now.
The owners are always willing to offer advice about local attractions, and have a great knowledge of up&coming events. They are both a dab hand at running a B&B and always have time to spend to talk to you.
I have seen families, couples, business people (me included) come and go from this B&B and there are a lot of happy faces that return to this B&B.
For the price they charge, you really are getting value for money, and the walk into Edinburgh town centre takes about 12 mins.
There really isn't anything bad I can say about this B&B, and I have stayed in a lot of B&B's in my time. (This review was written by Mark Sankar, I'm just using my wife's TripAdvisor !)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SankarsReviews

Thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time to write it.
We loved having you stay with us.