“Lovely hotel, great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Ranked #8 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at the Rutland Hotel for one night with my husband on the 3rd November 2012. We found the hotel on the internet as we were searching for rooms with a view of Edinburgh castle.
We stayed in room 11 which is at the front of the hotel and indeed does have a spectacular view, the room was spacious and very sumptuously decorated. The hotel is at the end of Princess street which is an easy walk from the train station (took us about 15 mins) and is within walking distance of the castle and the old town. We didn't eat in the restaurant or have a drink in the bar but we had a nice breakfast in the bar the following morning. All of the staff we dealt with (which for the majority of the time was Rachel on reception) were very friendly, helpful and professional and a problem with the heating was sorted out quickly and efficiently. We opted to pay a little over what we would normally pay for a hotel room as it was a special occasion but I very much feel the rate reflects the service and facilities. I would definitely recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: room 11 has a view of the castle
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the hotel!

I have also passed your kind comments on to Rachel, who is actually quite new to us and was thrilled to hear you had mentioned her!!

I'm very pleased you chose to spend your special occasion with us, and hope we'll see you again soon.

The Rutland Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Kent, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

It looks like my review will be a bit different to the majority, but it's an honest opinion. We stayed for one night in room 11, on the third floor. First of all, the very small lift only travels to the second floor, leaving you to carry bags up the remaining short flights. The stair carpet was dirty and had obviously seen a lot of wear. The decor throughput the hotel is unusual, even strange and I can understand people either loving it or hating it. Orange sideboards and silver chairs, and the room had brown net style inner curtains which instead of looking brown, just looked dark and dirty. We also had a 1970s style recliner made of what appeared to be white plastic...yuk.. but each to their taste. What I didn't like was the ring of ingrained dirt around the sink plug in the bathroom, and the bedroom being quite small. In fairness we slept well on the comfortable bed and the staff were very pleasant, even sympathising when I mentioned the problems the next morning. But for the price we paid (£185!) there are far superior rooms available in Edinburgh, and we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting the castle view rooms - you can get a great view from outside the hotel and...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Duvalle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Rutland.

I'm sorry to hear that the decor and furniture in the hotel were not to your taste.

In regards to the view, you are correct in your observation that you can see Edinburgh Castle very well from outside the hotel, as you can from most areas around the city centre. However I must say that our Castle View Rooms are a very popular choice for our guests as very few hotels in the city are lucky enough to have a view of this iconic building.

I'm pleased you found our staff to be pleasant, and only wish you had mentioned your thoughts before you had settled your bill.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for four nights at the Rutland. Claire, Isobel and Rachel were great staff members. The hotel is small and charming. The decor is hip. I liked room7 because it was comfortable,roomy and quiet. I liked it better than the castle view room which was more expensive. The location is excellent. It is walking distance to Rosé Street for pubs and the castle and other sites. Construction is going on for the new transit system outside the hotel but we heard no noise from our rooms.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Roxy,

Just a small note to thank you for your kind comments about The Rutland and our great staff members - it's fantastic when our staff can impact on someones stay so much that they are then mentioned in a review, and the girls are definitely aware of this one!!

I hope you and your husband can come back over to visit us again soon!

Kindest regards,
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

This is such a handy spot for visiting all of the sites and shopping in Edinburgh. Only 12 rooms, and we had the biggest, but such a great place. The staff are fantastic and go out of their way to give you a quality experience. Breakfast is superb (haggis!) and the jacuzzi bath was lovely. Would say this is best hotel I have stayed in in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 6. This is the one that the wedding couples stay in and has great views.
Dear Shaun,

Thank you very much for your review!

I have to agree 100%...haggis for breakfast is definitely a winner!!!

It's excellent news that you found our staff to be fantastic - they work very hard to exceed our guests' expectations and obviously did just that with you guys.

Hopefully you'll come back and stay with us again soon!

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Location was great at the end of Princes street. When we arrived the room wasn't ready so we were shown into the bar and given a complimentary drink. After a short wait we were then taken to our room. The staff were fantastic taking time to explain the facilities. Room was very tastefully decorated and spacious. Loved the muffins left for arrival. Even though the weather was very wet a warm welcome was given in the bar which has fantastic cocktails and a lovely ambiance. There was lots of building work going on outside due to new tram lines being installed but not a sound was heard and they were working right outside room. Would definitely recommend this hotel for its great facilities ghds in room, iPod dock etc and the friendly knowledgable staff.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Tracy,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience here at The Rutland.

I have to admit that I am also a massive fan of those muffins!

As we are a boutique hotel, we feel that the things that make us special are the facilities and extras that we have, as well as the service we provide - I'm very pleased that you enjoyed both of these aspects and hope that it means we'll see you again!

Until next time,

Austin, Texas USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was my first time in Scotland and we were so lucky we chose The Rutland! The staff is amazing and genuinely interested in making your stay enjoyable, they went to great lengths to accommodate us and were very helpful with giving us an orientation with the city. The location is perfect and the room was very spacious and comfortable. The restaurants don't disappoint...especially Kyloe. I have travelled extensively and dined at some very posh places....the food at Kyloe is superb from start to finish! I would go back and stay here in a heartbeat...they made our stay in Edinburgh fantastic and we look forward to going back as quickly as we can!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Marcie and Kat!!

Thank you so much for your excellent review of The Rutland.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much - you definitely had a very rounded experience of the service we provide, by staying with us, and dining both in Kyloe restaurant and in the bar.

I can't wait to have you stay with us again in the future.

Many thanks,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed one night at the Rutland. The Reception staff were so friendly and helpful, they went out of their way to make our stay perfect.The rooms are lovely and spacious, beautifully decorated. I stayed in room 6 and loved it! The complimentary muffins were lovely! The location was perfect the hotel is so handy! We were lucky to get parked outside(as it was a saturday night the car was fine parked there until the Sunday). I left a pair of earrings and was immediately emailed to ask for my address. I cant wait until my next stay at the Rutland and I will be staying a few nights next time!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Andreax91,

Thank you for your kind review of The Rutland.

I'm pleased your earrings got to you safely - our housekeeping and reception teams co-ordinate their efforts very well in getting guests' property returned safely.

The next time you come back, get in touch directly and we'll see if we can get you in room 6 again!