“Absolutely Fantastic!”

Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Lee, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We viewed The Rutland Hotel after being very disappointed in the hotel we were staying in. We were shown round the rooms by a member of staff who could not have been more attentive. The rooms were really beautiful and individually decorated. There was also the big plus point of having a jacuzzi bath in the room we chose.

We decided to check in and arrived the following day. All the members of staff were so friendly and had left us some complimentary gifts in our room (we were on honeymoon). It was in direct contrast to our previous experience. We visited in the hotel's restaurant that night and, again, the staff knew who we were and congratulated us on our wedding. The food also was excellent.

Overall, I could not recommend the hotel highly enough. I was everything we were looking for: it had character, warmth and a huge king sized bed.

1 Thank Polly C
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear Polly, or rather, the new Mrs C!

I wanted to write and thank you both very much for taking the time to review The Rutland Hotel.

I'm delighted that you had such a nice time with us, and am only sorry we couldn't improve the weather any for the time you were here!

I'm very pleased that you found our staff to friendly and attentive - all our staff work very hard to put our guests first and foremost, and it's great to know that they have achieved this during your stay. I will make sure they all read your review too, so they can have your praise first hand!

Congratulations again, and hopefully we'll see you again, maybe this time next year.....

The Rutland Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

From the welcoming smile at reception the service is excellent, a small boutique hotel with great interior design and a fantastic location, the steak bar is great has is breakfast in the morning, free wifi and water in the room top off a near perfect stay.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Hi there Mr Knowles,

Just a wee note to thank you for writing a review of The Rutland Hotel.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us enough to come back with your wife, and hope we'll see you both again soon!

Carnoustie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

We rented The Rutland Apartment for 3 nights whilst in Edinburgh for our wedding. We cannot fault the Hotel, the staff, the Apartment and the attention to detail in any way. It's a fantastic location, an amazing apartment and the staff's friendliness made us feel very much at home. The apartment was spotless and well equipped, also quiet and cosy, which is surprising for it's location just off Lothian Road/Princes Street. We were made to feel very welcome by everyone, nothing was too much trouble. They even let us use the thrones in reception for a 'Posh & Becks' photo op! The private garden is a lovely addition to the apartment...as is the underfloor heating. We can't recommend The Rutland highly enough...and as for Kyloe, an amazing place for our wedding meal. Fantastic atmosphere, brilliant food and friendly, attentive staff. Thank you all for making our wedding weekend so memorable. A special thank you goes to Lynn Miller, who organised our stay and the meal, plus the cake, taxis, drinks, everything that we could possibly have wanted or needed, she missed nothing and made us feel so welcome and special. We will be back to both the hotel and the restaurant and bar and we will recommend them all whenever we can.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Rutland Apartment...so pick that :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Lynn and Jacky,

Thank you both very much for your fantastic review of The Rutland Hotel and Kyloe, and for choosing to stay with us for your wedding!!

I'm thrilled that you found our staff to be excellent and the praise will definitely be passed on to all of them! As for Lynn - we are definitely very lucky to have her as our Events Manager - as you have experienced, she does an excellent job!

Again, thank you for your comments, and I hope we can welcome you back to stay with us again some time soon.

Kindest regards,
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We had an absolutely fantastic time staying at the Rutland for two nights, there was no way we could really fault it. Lovely friendly staff, and the room we stayed in (10) was just gorgeous, right at the top of the hotel with fantastic views over the city. It was a real treat to stay there and we would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a romantic getaway in Edinburgh.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Hi Lucy,

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your romantic getaway with us at The Rutland!

I hope you'll be able to come back and stay with us again sometime soon, and we'll try to get you in the same room again!

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I had one night in Nov on business, forgot my toothbrush, was a bit ditzy and the staff were amazing. Friendly, genuinely interested in what I was doing. I dined in the steak house next door, slightly pricey but great steak. Fantastic location and we were lucky enough to get a parking spot right outside the door! Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Hi there,

Just a wee note to say thank you for your comments!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back again soon (we've got spare toothbrushes at reception, just in case!).

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Perfect location in the hear of Edinburgh with easy walking to all sites in Old and New Town, excellent & friendly service, great food for both breakfast and the Kyloe restaurant & wonderfully individual rooms

1 Thank MMH1963
Hi folks,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay!

I'm pleased you like the location of the hotel - it is very handy for most things in the centre of town.

I hope we can welcome you back again some time soon,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

I have just come back from an overnight stay in this hotel. The hotel itself is in an excellent location with really nice rooms. I was welcomed by extremely friendly reception staff who couldn't have done more to make my stay enjoyable.
My only negative comment was that the hotel is located above quite a trendy city centre bar, and the member of the bar staff who served us (I wished I'd got his name) was one of the worst I've come across. When I asked the waitress for 2 coffee's we were served 2 black coffee's. Instead of asking the waitress for some milk I went up to the bar to ask for some milk, only to be greeted with this smart a~*!! who seemed to think serving people was beneath him who responded with "I didn't know you wanted milk with your black coffee's".It just goes to show that despite everything else being so nice, my most lasting memory was my anger with this guy behind the bar. So my advice would be stay at the hotel, it is great, and if using the bar only deal with the table waiting staff, but avoid bothering the guy behind the bar for such trivial things like milk as this really upsets him.

Hi there,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to write a wee review for us - I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us overall, and that you found the majority of our staff to be helpful.

I must, however, apologise for the comments made to you by the member of bar staff you mentioned - this is certainly not the kind of service that we aim to provide, and the relevant member of staff has been made aware of his actions.

I hope you will come back and stay with us again soon, and we can demonstrate the kind of service that we pride ourselves on!

Many thanks,