“Superb location and friendly staff”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hong Kong
“Superb location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff who helped me send packages back home. Nice decor and big rooms. Only quibble us breakfast doesn't start until 8 am and when one is up early and in serious need of a coffee I recommend train the night porter who wasn't very helpful on that front which slightly exacerbated my hangover. Would stay there again

• Stayed September 2013
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Hello Fiona,

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad to hear you had a safe trip back to Hong Kong - and that your luggage got there safely too!

We take all feedback seriously and from today we can now offer guests a take away coffee and croissant no matter how early they need to check out!

I hope you will consider staying with us next time you are in Edinburgh

Abi
The Rutland Reception

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
NYC
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had one night and one full day in Edinburgh, and couldn't have chosen a lovelier place to stay. The location is very central - an easy and inexpensive bus ride from the airport. We arrived before our room was ready, and were treated to complimentary coffee in their beautiful adjoining restaurant. Our room, when ready, was gorgeous, light and large. And they even gave us a bottle of champagne because they remembered that when I booked many months earlier, I had mentioned it was my husband's birthday. All in all, a perfect stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Hello Sadie,

Thank you for your rave review! We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. You couldn't be more right, the bus service from the airport to the city centre is extremely handy and even more so because it stops directly across the road from us! We know that visits to our hotel are often for a special ocassion so if there's something that we are able to do to make it even more special... we'll try to do it! We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and hope to see you again soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Wow, If your travels take you to Edinburgh, Scotland there is only 1 place to stay and that is The Rutland!They are the friendliest, the rooms are beautiful, the bathroom is beautiful! They welcome you with complimentry water by your bedside, and muffins. When we checked out we left at 7 am., they sent us on our way with fruite and bottled water! who does that? :-) omg so nice. The restaurant they are connected with toois amazing also. Thank you thank you for making Scotland just a bit nicer for us .

1 Thank Patrice W
Hello Patrice,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We love to make our guests feel welcome whether it be with a friendly greeting on check in or a complimentary muffin by your bed. Our staff here at The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh, all take pride in taking care of our guests and ensuring they are both happy and comfortable throughout their stay with us. Our in house restaurant, Kyloe and bar, The Huxley are also fantastic and add a whole new level on what we are able to offer our guests during their stay. We thank you again, and hope you had a safe trip home!

Hopefully we will get to see you on your next visit to Scotland!

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My partner booked this as part of a surprise trip to Edinburgh for my 30th birthday.

When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely lady who said we had been upgraded to an executive double room (room 6) which was absolutely amazing.

When I walked through the door, champagne on ice and flowers were waiting for me in one of the largest and nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Beautiful furniture gave the room an elegant feel and the bed was really comfy.

If you haven't stayed here you must!

Room Tip: Room 6 is one to try
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Laura!

Thank you very much for such a nice review. We are more than happy to try and treat our guests to these extra perks, such as a complementary room upgrade, if we can. Room 6 is one of our gorgeous Junior Suites, and I know exactly what you mean about the furniture! All of our staff here at The Rutland Hotel make an extra special effort to make sure all of our guests enjoy their time while staying with us, so it really is great to hear how much you enjoyed your visit on your special celebration!

Hope to see you both again soon,

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 30/9-2/10 for our "mini-moon", from the time we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed in a junior suite so that we'd have some more room and the bonus was that we could still see the castle!
Good location, good facilities, comfortable beds.. Perfect break!
I have already been recommending the hotel to friends and family and would love to go back myself!

• Stayed September 2013
Hello Karen!

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay here with us at The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. Our Junior Suites are great rooms with their cheeky bonus of an unexpected castle view too! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, especially on such a special occasion!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

UK
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have been fortunate to stay in some terrific hotels in Edinburgh over the years, but thought it was time for a change. Persuaded by the location and the glowing reviews here and elsewhere, I booked The Rutland. Whilst there were some enjoyable aspects to my stay, I left feeling disappointed and I will not be returning. It may be that the hotel isn't aimed at customers such as me: traveling for work and largely focused on business and I offer my thoughts in that context.

Initial impressions were largely positive, although I arrived in the rain and struggled up the steps to the hotel alone, unaided and with a heavy bag. I am not sure whether the external entrance to the hotel isn't visible from Reception, but to negotiate a heavy (closed) door, slippery steps and luggage in the rain isn't ideal. I confess I was envious of the efficient doormen to be seen at The Caledonian hotel (opposite) who were helping guests arriving and leaving while I grappled with getting through the door of the Rutland.

Once inside, I found the Reception desk empty. A woman quickly appeared and was welcoming and efficient in checking me in. My room was striking (not to my taste, but that is not really an issue for me) and I would characterise it as adequate rather than luxurious or especially comfortable. More significantly, there were functional problems. The temperature (and controlling the temperature) was an issues from the beginning and remained problematic throughout my stay. The individual control in the room appeared to have little or no effect on the temperature and it really was uncomfortable. The lighting is absurd and useless. I had a lot of work to do and, as I was traveling alone, I tend to spend my time outside of my other commitments reading. The bedside lamps were ridiculously positioned and inadequate, the amount of discretely controlled and variable lighting was negligible and, in essence, one had to have the overhead lights on permanently. The desk on which I worked was stained and sticky to the touch. The overall level of cleanliness was disappointing.

The bathroom too had problems. The loo didn't flush properly or sufficiently powerfully. The taps were positioned in such a way that the basin overflowed quickly. The towels were small and mean in texture - unbefitting a hotel that seeks to have a reputation for quality and the bath products were powerfully and cheaply scented.

On the upside, the bed was comfortable, the hairdryer effective and the welcome 'muffins' a nice thought. Again, as I was alone and working, I wanted to order room service and was initially advised that the only option was to order from the expensive Steak restaurant menu which was in contradiction to the information available in the guide in the room which offered room service from both the formal restaurant and the less formal bar. Eventually, I was given a menu from the bar and found the food to be disappointing in both range and quality. It largely compromises meat-based, fried options such as burgers, hotdogs and chips. As a vegetarian, I quickly realised there was little that would suit me and ended up going to Sainsbury's round the corner and buying sandwiches. Not what I had in mind after a long day's work.

Also on the theme of food, I was astonished that breakfast was not available until 8 a.m. When I went down for breakfast, I couldn't believe that I was in the right place as it is provided at tables in the bar with pop music blaring out of the speakers. The breakfast menu is extremely limited and the food and drinks were revolting. The tea was metallic (as it can be when the water is either boiled in an old kettle or reboiled) and served in a strange old-fashioned brown patterned cup with mismatching saucer of the sort that I haven't seen since the 1970s! The toast was cold and came with a large dollop of strawberry jam rather than any choice of preserves. I didn't return for breakfast after this unhappy experience and returned instead to the Sainsbury's round the corner for a more edible option.

When it came to checking out, I found that the bill was inaccurate and it took some time to correct. Sadly, my visit ended as it began - with me struggling alone and unaided down slippery steps in the rain. I won't be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank Sooky
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed for two nights as through at a wedding! Room was gorgeous, everything we needed plus more. Bed was soooo comfy had best sleep ever, never heard any noise from outside. Staff really helpful and friendly!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Hi Lauren!
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It was a pleasure to have you and the other members of the family staying with us for the wedding too! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your nights sleep in the room and yes there's lots of bits and bobs that can help with the pre-wedding pampering such as the GHD's, surround sound blue tooth music system and complementary teas and coffee! We hope to see you again soon!