“Best stay in Edinburgh”

Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen
“Best stay in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Went to Edinburgh for a weekend away with my boyfriend. The Rutland was a fantastic hotel, the room was spacious with built in music system in all rooms. Our room had a jacuzzi bath which was a lovely touch. The hotel supplies hairdryer and GHD straighteners which was convenient and saved space in the weekender bag.

The staff are very attentive, they take you up to your room and see to every request. There is a taxi rank outside the hotel and you are in walking distance of the castle and just off of Princes Street.

My boyfriend and i arrived for check in early, when we arrived back later our bags had already been taken up to the room.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again, it exceeded expectations and was on par with The Missoni that we stayed in earlier in the year.

We did not eat in the restaurant but did go to the bar attached which served lovely drinks at reasonable prices. You do not hear any noise from bar when in rooms.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 which was a standard room. Still very spacious and no noise heard from the main...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hello L C,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us at The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities available in your room, we believe these wee extras help to make your stay extra special. Our staff take pride in ensuring our guests enjoy their stay and always try their best to go above and beyond. We're very lucky to have such a prime location in the city centre, right beside a taxi rank without any of the unwanted city centre bustle. We look forward to your next visit to welcome you with open arms!

Kind regards

Sophie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of November and it was blissful. Smart, chic, individual rooms, really comfy beds, great bathroom and nice extras (eg. Muffins on the bed!). It's in a great location at the prom end of Princes Street, 5 mins walk from the station. I was a bit worried when we arrived that t would be noisy as it was on a busy junction but the double glazing meant the room was totally silent and the heavy curtains meant no light pollution so nothing disturbed my sleep. Lovely cafe / bar on the ground floor for breakfast (service was a bit slow but we weren't in a hurry) and The Kyloe restaurant on the first floor was top notch - brilliant steak and great whiskey list! Would real recommend if ou want a little bit of city chic.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Hello Sophie!

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay with us earlier this month. It's always good to hear what our guests enjoy about thier visit, so that we can ensure we are getting it right! You just can't beat a cosy and undesturbed sleep in a beautiful location can you? As for Kyloe, you are far from alone on having this opinion... a visit to our restaurant promises many taste sensations!

Thank you so much again for you wonderful comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Suzy

Receptionist
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I arrived at the Rutland Hotel after more than 15 hours of travel and almost two days with no sleep. The receptionist, immediately recognizing my distress, offered to hold my bags until check-in time and directed me to the cafe next door to enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee.

The location is excellent, just off Princes St and a short walk from Edinburgh castle. My room was well-appointed and immaculately clean. The bed was comfortable and the room was extremely quiet. Though the hotel was fully booked while I was staying there, I never heard a sound from any of the other guests. The prices were very reasonable, especially compared to some of the larger hotels nearby.

I learned shortly after arriving that I had neglected to bring a power adapter from home. I asked at the front desk, and the receptionist went out of her way to find one for me. I was greeted warmly every time I passed through the lobby, even late at night and very early in the morning.

On my last night at the Rutland I enjoyed a delicious steak and chips at the adjoining Kyloe restaurant, and even received a 20% discount for being a hotel guest. If I ever have the pleasure of returning to Edinburgh, the Rutland Hotel will be the first place I check for lodging.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello Jason!

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review of The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. We truly are spoiled with our prime location and being close enough to the action without the noise is always a welcome bonus! Our staff will always try thier best to help to ensure you enjoy your stay with us, whether it be finding you an adaptor or getting you a restaurant reservation... anything to make sure your stay with us special. Our restaurant Kyloe is very popular with both our guests, and visitors! Being able to resist food and wine like that deserves a medal.

Many thanks again, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Suzy

Receptionist
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I booked the Rutland hotel for a two night surprise trip away for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. I'd not been to Edinburgh before and I wanted to book somewhere that was well located for Princes St and the castle, as well as somewhere that was that little bit 'special'. I've always thought paying a little bit more means you should get a more comfortable pampered experience, and fortunately this is just what we got!

I paid for a package deal which meant we had two nights B&B as well as a three course meal in Kyloe restaurant (within the hotel). The night before we arrived I emailed to see if there were any castle view rooms we could upgrade to (we had a standard double booked), and not long afterwards I received a reply saying that there weren't any available, however they would offer a free upgrade to a junior suite. This was a lovely surprise as when we arrived and saw the room, it was fantastic! Each room is individually decorated and ours had a super king size bed, plenty of seating, a dressing table, bathroom with monsoon shower and jacuzzi bath, and separate w.c. They also had a hairdryer, GHD hair straighteners (a godsend for most women!), complimentary water, coffee/tea etc., flatscreen tv, and (my fave!) a bluetooth sound system, which allowed us to play music via my phone (even had speakers in the bathroom!).

The quality of the room and furnishings was what you would expect from this kind of boutique hotel - and of course this is reflected in the price. However what made the stay so good was the politeness of the staff and their willingness to make our stay that little bit more special. As they knew we were celebrating a birthday, when we arrived on the first night they had given us a chilled complimentary bottle of prosecco, and we also had an extra glass each when we arrived for our meal on the first night. Freshly made raspberry muffins, bathrobes, and even the bottles of water, were very gratefully used/consumed!

Kyloe restaurant is top notch, particularly if you are a steak fan. The staff are very polite and attentive, and they even bring out a platter of the raw steaks and explain exactly what each one is, before you order. I had the fillet and my other half had a t-bone. Both were cooked perfectly and the home cooked chips and green beans were perfect too. I finished off with the peanut butter and jelly cheesecake, which was devine. Prices are quite reasonable too. I would say for three courses each (both with steak), with wine, it's around £40-50 each.

Also on site is the Huxley bar, which is open until late at night but is also where the guests eat breakfast. It is a set menu of around 8 choices. I had eggs benedict one day and the full Scottish breakfast on the other. Both were delicious. Again, the staff were very attentive and polite - something I found with everyone I came across in Edinburgh.

The hotel is on the corner of Rutland Street and Princes St. So a 2 minute walk to the nearest shops, across the road from Princes St Gardens, a 5/10 minute walk to the castle, and a very short taxi ride to the Grassmarket area. A taxi from Waverley train station cost us around £4-5.

I know everyone has their own experience of staying at hotels, but for us, there wasn't a single negative about our stay, other than the fact we wanted to stay longer but couldn't! Considering the likes of the Premier Inn is not that much cheaper, I would definitely recommend paying that little bit more for a stay which is much more luxurious.

Note - the ratings for fitness suite/pool are not applicable as I don't think they had one (that I know of)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank griff1981
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hi Emma,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review!

We try hard to make each stay as special and as individual as we can and I'm glad your boyfriend had such a great birthday!

Perhaps you can persuade your boyfriend to bring you back for your birthday! (It's only fair right?!)

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed at the Rutland House for two days during our trip to Scotland and were very pleased with the service and the suite. Exceptionally large rooms with living and kitchen area, very nice spotless bathroom and very comfortable bedroom and bed.
The location is in a very nice area and also close to the Royal Mile but far enough away to be very quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim H
Hi Jim,

Thank you for a lovely review of our apartment!

It's definitely a little oasis of calm in the busy centre of Edinburgh. I hope you enjoyed your trip around Scotland!

We hope we have a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Rutland Hotel was just perfect! From the moment we arrived in the late afternoon we were treated like the King and Queen. Sophia escorted us to our beautiful room overlooking the castle, and complete with muffins and champagne. (Room 6) We had a divine dinner at Kyloe without even leaving the building and the food was excellent. Our bed, a king sized, was so comfortable. In the morning we had a lovely full Scottish breakfast at the Huxley (again, not leaving the building). We were then greeted by Suzy, Abi and Martha. The staff at this hotel is amazing, gracious, and couldn't have been more helpful. We received wonderful suggestions for dinner (all good) and directions to sights to visit. Every staff member was smart and attentive to details. The location of this hotel is perfect. We were within walking distance of everything, and right at a taxi stand and a bus stop. The hop on, hop off bus went everywhere. The price was extremely reasonable and the hotel was just as lovely as the Caledonian Waldorf Astoria next door! Thank you again, Sophia, Abi, Suzy, and Martha for an amazing Anniversary stay. Sam and I look foreword to a return visit!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were beautiful and each was a bit different. I loved ours with a boxed window o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Mary and Sam!

Thank you for your kind review!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay - it was such a pleasure having you both!

We are still all enjoying our Cackalacky Sauce! (You wouldn't believe how well it goes with Haggis!)

We would love to have you back to visit any time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Won't say where the first was...that would be unfair...but wow, we LOVED this hotel so much. We had a castle view room. It was GIGANTIC (by even US standards). View was amazing. It was our honeymoon and they left us champagne and a little note. Staff were so friendly and sweet. Location was brilliant. Can't wait to come back one day.

Room Tip: I would strongly suggest the castle room view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Jon and Julia!

Thank you for such a kind review - we don't mind being your SECOND favourite hotel ever (your first favourite did sound like a pretty deserving competitor!)

I'm glad you had a great honeymoon! We'd love to have you back next time you're in Scotland!