“perfect”

Ranked #9 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
birmingham
“perfect”
Reviewed 5 February 2010

This hotel is truely amazing and would stay again every weekend if i could.we had suite 6 and it was amazing.the whole hotel experience was fantastic and the bar and club was excellent to.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
galway
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed in the Junior Suite last week for 3 days, i was expecting the rooms to be a little bigger as it was a suite but it was very comfy and beautifully decorated, seperate toilet to the bathroom which i thnk is a great idea. The room was very well stocked with Tea/Coffee and Muffins on arrival. Also a good quality hair dryer and a GHD,

We took room only as we like to head out for breakfast but the menus for breakfast did look nice.

We drank in the bar a couple of nights and although a little more expensive than the normal bar they have a great selection of whiskeys, wine and beers.

Its location is superb, just at the top of Princess Street but quiter and the staff are very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank rhysethan
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Stayed here with a girlfriend for a girly weekend in early December. The location of the hotel is very convenient for walking either to Princes street shopping and New Town clubbing or excursions into the Old Town. We stayed in Room 1 which was a suite (the only room which could be made into a twin), this was also the disabled facilities room which meant no bath but I had no problem with this. Room decor was lovely and my friend was very impressed with the hair straighteners. Downside to this room for £175 a night is the shower was very ordinary. Have had much better showers at Hotel du Vin and my own shower at home was much hotter and more powerful.
We could hear some noise from the street on the saturday night but it was not too disturbing. However, this room is on the stairs and the room doors do not seem to be very solid. Noise from the hallway is VERY audible both into the room and from the room into the hallway. Leaving the room on checkout, the noise from the amorous couple across the hall was embarassingly clear.
I will definitely stay at the Rutland again but not in Room 1. I will ask for an upper floor suite off the stairs.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2010

My hubbie and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Rutland. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room no 5 which had a castle view from one window and two other windows looking down Princes St. The bedroom was beautifully decorated in blacks and copper, with a very large comfortable bed, with lovely linen and comfy mattress. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath, which wasn't particularly big or comfortable. I would also prefer a separate shower. Nice touches included the rose and petals on the bed, the complimentary muffins and shortbread, the variety of teas and coffee and real milk (no UHT, yehhhh!) and the lovely bath robes. The GHD's and hairdryer were excellent and we enjoyed playing music off of our ipod. I wasn't keen on the complimentary bathroom products, but that's being a bit picky. I think for over £200 a night I would think breakfast should be included. We had it one morning and the kippers were lovely. We ate in the restaurant one night and that was rather disappointing for the price. For the same price of menu, there are much better restaurants in the city - we found two that were fantastic.

1 Thank Jack H
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I stayed in The Rutland with my boyfriend for a weekend before Christmas. It looked like a luxury hotel from the description and photos on the hotel website, and the prices suggested the same. We thought, from the website, it looked similar to The Twelve Hotel or The G Hotel in Galway (both great hotels). It wasn't!
We stayed in an executive room, with a kingsize bed and jacuzzi bath. I was highly disappointed by many aspects of my stay and will not be returning.

The negatives -
The staff (except one Australian girl) were rude, unfriendly and inefficient. We arrived after a long journey and travel delays. We looked clearly exhausted but barely got a smile, let alone a "welcome" at check in.
At breakfast, I asked for some butter to go with my dry toast and the waiter looked as though I'd asked him to do something depraved. The butter arrived a good 5 minutes later (they weren't busy) and I realised that there were no condiments so asked (very nicely) for salt. He replied "You JUST asked me for butter!". Charming!

The bedroom was very, very small and quite claustrophobic. The tiny window didn't shut properly and the blind didn't reach down to the windowsill so I had to put a towel across the bottom of it to keep out the draught and the street-light.

The shower leaked and flooded the floor and the bathroom door-handle fell off (on the inside). My partner would have been locked in if I hadn't been there.
We reported the problems to reception and were told "Oh, we knew about that leak but couldn't fix it while you were here"!

We wanted a lie-in on the first morning and so put on the Do Not Disturb light, however we were woken by continued kocking on the door, shouts of "housekeeping" and finally someone bursting into the room.
When reporting the leak and broken door handle that same day I mentioned the disturbance and got no apology. Someone DID come to fix the handle but no-one bothered to clean the room or change the towels (half of which had been used to mop up the flooded floor).

The positives -
Fairly central location.
Comfy bed.
The jacuzzi was nice after being out in the freezing, snowy weather.

Overall, the hotel was overpriced, the service was appalling, the attention to detail was non-existent, and I did not have a pleasant stay. Next time I think I'll stay in one of the Apex hotels. The Rutland management really need to get their acts together.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EilisAine
St.Albans England
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Located at the end of Princes Street near to the castle and with lots of restaurants nearby. The bus from the airport no.100 leaves from right outside the terminal every 10 minutes and costs £6 return dropping you within 50 yards of the hotel. The rooms are very spacious and cleaned to a high standard. Ipod docking and huge flat screen TV with Freeview, ironing board, hair straighteners and hairdryer, tea, coffee and fresh milk daily in minibar. There is a restaurant which we didnt try but a very nice bar on the ground floor.
Breakfast not included but available Continental room service (£2 for croisant) or full Scottish in restaurant. Was cheaper through Trip advisor link than direct but hotel price matched.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 December 2009

This was absolutely awesome!!!! Elegant and spacious guest rooms with state of the art technology in rooms and bathrooms. Stunning Decor throughout the hotel. Select this one for a central position in Edinburgh with easy walking access to EVERYWHERE of note!!! Excellent restaurant and delicious food!! Service was brilliant.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple