“It was fine for what we were after”
Review of Merith House Hotel

Merith House Hotel
Ranked #146 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Merith House Hotel is by no means a luxury hotel. The rooms are tiny (can't really fit two people with two large bags in there) but its reasonably priced, has private bathrooms and breakfast was just what we were after, having eaten hot breakfast for two weeks straight. Its possible to walk into the centre of Edinburgh and back, but it is a long walk if you are tired. Close enough that a taxi doesn't cost much and I think there are buses that run to the centre of town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank littleone89
There are newer reviews for Merith House Hotel

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Spent one night at this Guest House, was met by the owner who showed me and the wife the room which was the room downstairs with no number on it.
Thought she was taking us to a store room at first. The room was large but very out dated(requires a much needed re-furb)
The shower curtain was mouldy and not ideal.
The breakfast is far to early 07.00 - 08.30
Unfortunately we will not return to this Guest House

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LancashireGray
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for the Fringe Festival. The room was large, had everything that we needed and was about a 30min walk to the city. It was the best value room during the festival period (3 people @ £135 per night) and actually had more beds than we needed. Never made it in time for the breakfast, so can't comment on that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I arrived on Wednesday afternoon to be told right away at reception, upfront payment is required and and additional 5% on card transactions, not the warmest of welcomes im sure you'll agree.

The condition of my room was extremely basic and really in need of a deep clean scrub and maintenance.There was stains in the walls and the toilet toll holder was holding in the wall by a thread as is the dirty glass shelf over the sink and the upholstery was filthy.

I turned on the shower at around 5pm and no hot water. I let it run and nothing came through so i called reception who simply said- hot waters not come on yet, takes an hour or so to heat up. Surely as a hotel hot water should be available 24/7.

I noticed on the second day my bath towel was still wet from the shower i did manage to eventually have at around 10pm on Wednesday so i made sure i asked reception on the way out if a couple of fresh ones could be left when my room was cleaned. I was sternly told- "single rooms only get one towel" i would have thought the response would have been - sure no problem?? I was also told that "towels are changed every day" - despite being told this i managed to keep the same wet damp towel for my entire 5 day stay.

I returned to the room later that evening to see the same damp wet towel hanging over the radiator- exactly where id left it.

The staff in the hotel seemed to be reluctant to do very much in the way of customer service. Their website states '... keeping the room rates low and the standards high...' I found the exact opposite in fact.

Breakfast was also a slog, having to ask for more orange juice to be brought out and no pleasantries or even eye contact exchanged when toast or coffee was brought out. A bizarre feeling that customers were an intrusion. There was also lots on coughing, spluttering and for want of a better word 'honking of mucas' coming from the kitchen on the first couple of mornings as we sat eating.

I received zero level of customer service.

Its sure given me a warning as to not to use hotels that require you to pay upon arrival in future.

The entire trip was a long way from your business slogan branded on your signage 'Economy with Luxury'.

Since comtacting the hotel, they have managed to be just as unhelpful with their replies. Cant be botheres and some of the excuses are astonishing. A wee place to avoid.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank dean s
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Great Family Run Place
well what can one say we came up for the Edinburgh Fringe and the price we found in Edinburgh had gone through the ROOF. and we managed to get in due to a cancellation at the Merith as we have stayed there twice before .Thanks Robert and Sandra buy the way good cooked breakfast as I normally request at least once while we are there,Also Jimmy chungs Buffet I hope your not on commission the place was very busy like I said before we checked out.
thanks Sandra nice clean room and for the extra pillows.
I have seen you have had some not very good things said on trip advisor but I disagree being a senior advisor because I travel a lot all I can say GREAT VALUE AND AN EXCELLENT SERVICE .
By the way is paul the new chap that is there to help out with the late check-in I owe you a beer

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here for a Friday and Saturday night in August for the Edinburgh festival. Room was very pricey (109 pound p/n) plus a surcharge for paying on card (avoided if you pay in cash). This was the only hotel available in our price range though and it being festival time I expected things to be pricey.

Had no problem paying upfront as most hotels I've stayed at do this so not sure why people are so bothered about it? Surcharge is a bit cheeky so if you want to avoid it take cash.

We were in the annex house a few doors down which is two shared bathrooms between three rooms. Our room was big with a double bed and two single beds and the bathrooms were fine. Didn't have any clashes with the others staying so no complaints about sharing.

The carpet was wet when we arrived though like it had just been cleaned. Once we went out and arrived back later that night however it had dried.

All in all had no bad experience. The room we were in wasn't really modern but was comfortable enough. Very overpriced but as I said it was festival season.

Location is good, right near Tesco and the bus stop which is about a 10 minute ride into the city center and free parking was a bonus.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oakleycarter
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights in August and I have to say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in by some distance.

Upon arrival a very unfriendly male member of staff demanded payment up front with a 5% surcharge- something not mentioned when you book so unless you are already aware of this you will be caught out.

Once inside the room you realize just how small it is. Our double room is really a single with a tiny bathroom attached- you have to squeeze past a rickety shelving unit to get to the window!

The bed was clean but incredibly uncomfortable with the springs being virtually through the mattress and only one wafer thin pillow is provided per person. A request for extra pillows was totally ignored.

The bathroom door has a broken handle and the toilet is so close to the wall even my girlfriend who is fairly small could not sit on it properly. I had to sit sideways!

The wi-fi does not work in our room properly either and there is virtually no storage space. The only friendly member of staff was the cleaner we bumped into.

Positives:

The breakfast was passable.
The TV had a decent selection of channels.
The shower is small but powerful.

Avoid this place at all costs. I will never return.

• Stayed: August 2013