“Sleepless in Eleven”

No. 11 Brunswick Street
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel was just as described on the website. The service staff were friendly. Superb breakfasts. The room was cozy,but elegant. I wish I'd noticed the shutters on my first night as it was quite light despite the glorious curtains.

I choose the hotel as it was close to the venue where I was delivering a 3-day course and I was prepared to pay above the odds to be sure of a good night's sleep. The first night I was disappointed by the smell of stale smoke on the sheets. In the dead of the second night I was woken by a sudden noise. The fancy shower was spurting out and making a din like persistent hailstones next to my head. The ensuite was a doorless half walled open cubicle in the small room, the shower was more or less next to the bed head. Cushioning the shower pit with towels made hardly any difference. In the morning I informed the owner about the mysterious shower episode, I thought he looked unconvinced, but he promised to have a look at it. (All knobs were fully off and I use the shower mornings only.) I thought since he failed to appease me by offering a room change, (surely a relatively easy option considering 2 rooms only seemed to be in use,) that he was sure of addressing the shower issue. Following night, 3.00am the shower spontaneously began its splurging. I went to reception, had read it was 24 hour, but no one around to prove the unbelievable noisiness of the unstoppable shower. I thought of taking my duvet and sleeping in the lounge, but just hung around for a while to pass some time. Back in my room the persistent splashing carried on. Another sleepless night.
A lot of money for an extremely annoying stay, not a happy bunny. The very nice receptionist learning about my experience after asking me how I enjoyed my stay said, 'we hope to see you again', as he debited an awakeningly undeserved sum from my credit card. Not a chance, the Scottish Youth Hostel across the way looked very inviting, and I've never known any hotel ignore a problem that could so easily have been addressed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mariooco
Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked this for a Christmas present. Check in was stress free room was superb lovely decorated and bathroom lovely! We had lunch in brasserie service was not the best and food ok. Maybe would not go back for a meal but the staff and rooms were lovely!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

First trip to Edinburgh...chose this hotel due to recent refurbishment and was not disappointed with quality of hotel and rooms...good size bedrooms with superb shower room...king size bed and plenty of warmth throughout hotel...excellent breakfast. Close to central Edinburgh and good choice of restaurants...would definitely return in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Dined there recently using a Groupon voucher prior to going to the theatre. Despite the fact that it was a little disconcerting being the only people in the restaurant for the first hour we did enjoy the experience. There was a good choice of food available and our choices fully lived up to expectations. Service was both friendly and attentive. A final nice touch was being given a 20% off ticket redeemable on a future visit. If we were ever in doubt(which we weren't) this was the final clincher, and we will be back.

1  Thank bgsupremo
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The staff are most attentive, the rooms are excellent, contemporary yet tastefull, double showers! A short walk from The Playhouse Theatre. We ate there and the food was tip top, as was the waitress who served us. So, three miniscule niggles, and thats all they are. There is nowehere outside the bedroom door to hang the DND/MUMR label, the hallway acts as reception/office as well as human traffic crossing here to enter the restaurant, the noise rtranslates up the stairs and into the bedrooms. During dinner, jazz fm was playing, music superb, interuptted by dj & ad's, perhaps a selection of cd's would have helped set the mood better. I would recommend this hotel though

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We visited the hotel over Sat 2nd and Sunday 3rd March 2013 for my wife's Birthday (and a 2 day break away from the 3 kids!) - We booked the Georgian Suite (Room 6) and we stayed for an evening meal. Having lived in Edinburgh for a number of years we knew exactly where the hotel was located, its just 5-10 mins walk from the busy centre of Edinburgh but far enough out to make sure that you get the peace and quiet that your looking for with a break away. Upon checking in we couldnt have been happier with the room we had booked.... it was fantastic. Huge four poster bed....... Sofa / Seating area with flat screen tv......... massive bathroom with the biggest stand alone bath i have ever seen and a double shower cabinet. We had opted for the "romance" package which included rose petals on the bed.....candles......and wine. Again this really all added to ambience.

The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and happy to help , the food in the brasserie was also to a very high standard. I would have to say the cooked breakfast at the hotel is one of the best i have ever eaten...... all made fresh to order.

In summary if you are looking for a luxury boutique hotel, with a strong historical character that stands apart from the usual chain 4 / 5 star hotels - then this is the one for you!

Would love to visit here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Georgian Suite (Room 6) and it was fantastic! Huge 4 poster bed...... Massive stand...
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We booked this hotel through laterooms.com with a deal for dinner, bed and breakfast at quite short notice as we had tickets for a show. Unfortunately my wife took ill on the morning we were due to travel and we had to rearrange for 2 weeks later - the staff at the hotel could not have been more helpful in altering the date and didnt charge us anything for their hassle.
When we got there the hotel was easy to find with plenty of parking at the front which is free at weekends.
The hotel has recently gone through a modernisation process and it is fantastic. Our double room was large, modern and spotlessly clean - as was the bathroom. There plenty of small classy touches which really make a difference.
Our dinner was excellent with a good choice of all 3 courses, plenty of food on the plate and breakfast was superb as well.
The staff were all amazing, from the wonderfully warm welcome to the chap at dinner who arranged our sweets to be delivered to our room after we returned from our show at 11pm!
Thoroughly recommend this hotel - we will definately be back!

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs - book the first floor if you can.