“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #35 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I got a deal for afternoon tea and booked a table for 4. The service we received was excellent,not too intrusive but around when we needed Top ups. The food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. There was just enough, although I'd have liked more of the brie and cranberry sandwiches. Would recommend this lovely place for anyone looking for a pleasant afternoon in Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We spent four nights at 11 Brunswick Street in a four poster family bedroom. The room was nicely decorated and had a large ensuite toilet which included a lovely, deep, free standing bath. I agree with other reviews that the paint at the shutters/window in the bathroom looked shabby. I also agree with other reviewers who have passed comment on the all pervading smell of cooked food through the hotel at all times of day. We paid £139/149 per night for the room for bed and breakfast and I think it was probably over priced, if I am honest.
The table service at breakfast slowed things down and personally I would have preferred a self service style. We ate one night in the hotel. The food was fine but the menu was very limited and I wouldn't rush back as there are lots of other restaurants nearby that give a wider selection. A 3 course meal for 2 with a bottle of wine cost approximately £60 (20% discount given for residents)
There was a DVD player in the room, but we were unable to get it to work. Also I agree with other reviewers, that the Wi-fi signal was very poor.
It would have been nice a gesture if the complimentary toiletries and tea/coffee and biscuits could have been replenished during our stay, as we were there for 4 nights. We usually find that this is done in other hotels, without having to ask.
The hotel is a good 10 minutes walk from Princess Street, so within easy reach all the main attractions. There is a bus stop nearby.
Overall we had a pleasant stay at 11 Brunswick, but we wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We got this hotel on a deal for two dinner bed breakfast bottle of prosecco and chocs. Still to get the prosecco and chocs!! These were not placed in our room as stated.

The room was a junior suite and it was lovely, comfortable, clean and spacious.

The sitting room was comfortable and had a tv, choice of dvd's, books, etc.

The restaurant was pleasant but the real treat was the food. We had dinner, afternoon tea and breakfast. There was nothing to complain about, it was all good and very tasty !

The only criticism was the service. The prosecco and chocs in our room were forgotten about. Sat in the sitting room then the dinning room without being offered a drink. The wine at dinner was forgotten about, as was the tap water. Eventually received it when prompted. Although the service wasn't great, the staff were very friendly and assisted when asked.

Based on food and accommodation, I would go back to this hotel and recommend it.

Room Tip: Junior suites are spacious, comfortable and decorated beautifully
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Went here for our dinner as we were given the amazon local deal for our anniversary. £25 for 3 course dinner with coffee/tea and truffles.

Food: you can't fault the food here. I had the duck for starter and my wife had the halibut. They were presented well and tasted amazing. If you want a hot starter, I suggest you go for the soup. As for our main, I had the pork belly, which I'd say one of the best I've had. Even my wife couldn't resist to try some of my dinner. The pork was tender and the skin was crispy. The way it should be. The mash that comes with it was perfectly made. My wife had the sea bass with mussels. Even though she's not a big seafood fan, she loved her main course. I tried some and I love seafood, they were made to perfection. The portions were good especially if you're going for a 3 course dinner. Not too big and not too small. The drinks are reasonably priced considering the location. We both had an apple juice for £1.50 which I thought was good. It was fresh and sweet. What I thought was nice too, was that they serve you a jug of water.

Staff: if I can rate them out of 5, 5 being the highest I'd give them 6. They were very friendly and professional. So helpful and always smiling. Other restaurants can take a lesson or two from these guys. There were only 2 of them serving full 10 tables at one point, they handled it very well.

Overall, if you are happy to pay for the full price of £5-7 starters, £15-22 main and £5-6 dessert, then this is the place for you. You can take your special friends or close family with you and not worry about the food. But if your budget is a bit tight, you might find the price a bit steep. I suppose you pay for the quality.. And it's worth it for a treat. Other thing to mention, there is a supplement of £5 for a 8oz rib eye steak and £8 fillet steak, not sure if it should cost that much but just another added info.

My suggestion is maybe make a set menu of £13-15 per person for the same 3 course meal rather than just offering the deal every now and then, if the restaurant can afford it, then that's definitely the way forward to attract more customers because the location is a bit out from the other restaurants.

I'll be happy to come here again 'if' the same deal from amazon comes up again. It's definitely worth it. Thanks to the 2 staff that served us. Keep it up

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This small boutique hotel is in an ideal location for sightseeing in the city with the advantage of much cheaper parking than central Edinburgh. There are a good selection of restaurants and pubs nearby ( Kushis Indian restaurant should not be missed) good transport links a short walk away. We had a room booked with an itison voucher and it was excellent value for money. The room we were given was in the basement. and although quite small, it was nicely decorated with a lovely bathroom. Our voucher included dinner which was very good but they did seem very short staffed and there were long waits between courses. We took our coffee in the pleasant lounge but they did seem to forget about us when we left our table! I would definitely stay here again. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline, Scotland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We got a fantastic deal for a mini suite with prosecco and truffles, afternoon tea, a three-course dinner and breakfast. The service was fantastic and the staff were sufficiently attentive. The hotel is small and chic and certainly has a lot more personality than most. Also, it was only a couple of minutes walk into the very centre of the city; so, great if you want to do anything in Edinburgh. The room was beautiful and had modern facilities. The food was just amazing and we were so pleased to have it all included in the price quoted! We would love to go back - especially if the same offer was available!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank rinnycarrie
London
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend without the children in a mini suite on the top floor and it was really lovely. It's certainly good value for the quality of fit out and breakfast compared with the larger hotel brands you could stay at. I read quite a few reviews before going and was a little concerned, but most of my concerns were not realised. The walk to Princes Street is just over 5 minutes. We walked to the Castle over the other side of town and it only took 15 minutes at a relaxed pace. You can get a taxi over that way for about £7. The breakfast was very good and you were served at the table, which was a nice touch, rather than buffet style. The bed was very large and comfortable.

There were only a few downsides. The smell of cooking does still seem to permeate through the hotel even though the chimney has been lined, which did bother us a little, but it wasn't a disaster. As it is a smaller, boutique hotel the noise from the reception does travel, but there wasn't too much noise so again it wasn’t a big problem. The wi-fi did not work very well / at all in our room, which was a bit annoying. That said, all told it was a really nice stay and the staff were friendly and helpful.

A tip for the management - I recommend getting a sign with the hotel name on it. I dealt with the booking and my husband spent the first day or so genuinely thinking the hotel was called "Hotel Brasserie"!

Room Tip: Our room was a mini-suite on the top floor and was quiet and really very nice. Having read various r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple