“A disappointing weekend”

Ranked #36 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“A disappointing weekend”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visited with my boyfriend for the May bank holiday and was really looking forward to a romantic and relaxing weekend away. Sadly the hotel really did not live up to expectations and i have to agree with most of the reviews here that it's overpriced and that they give a misleading image of themselves. The bathroom had hairs in it when we checked in and our double room was tiny. They don't show you exact pictures of the double room so my decision was based on the pictures of the very lovely (and much more expensive) large double rooms. All they show you are pictures of the bed and table detail so it's hard to determine exactly how big the room is and what is in it. I'm lucky we didn't get given the basement room which is only communicated that that might be possible AFTER a non-refundable booking has been made. Everything seemed very crammed in. They also charged us for an espresso at breakfast which i thought was unreasonable. It's also very noisy - sound travels up the stairs from the restaurant and if there are people in the garden you can hear everything they say too! Every morning we were woken up with the smell of frying bacon in the room and we were on the top floor. I thought at the time the hotel had just been repainted as all the walls were bare and there was a significant absence of any welcoming touches such as flowers but going on the reviews below it looks like it's like this all the time. Needless to say I won't be booking this hotel again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilabakes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We held our wedding reception at No 11, our close family filled the hotel for the day and night we had 31 guests to celebrate with us for a superb wedding dinner. The food was truly wonderful "the best wedding food ever" was feedback to me on numerous occasions. The 5 young kids in the party were catered for and looked after with patience.
All of our guests commented on how lovely the hotel is and on how friendly the staff are whilst maintaining the highest standard of professionalism. I can only concur with this view, having stayed in early February this year too both times the staff have been brilliant.

The rooms are clean and bright, the lounge and brasserie are stylish with great ambiance. Breakfast is amazing!

No 11 is in the ideal location, 10 min walk from Waverley train station. 30-40 mins by bus from the Airport. 5 min walk to the shops on George, Princes and Queen Street.

Both Gavin & I have travelled a fair amount with work and have stayed in many hotels around the world, No 11 is by far the best experience for quality of service.

Thank you so much once again and see you next time we are in town.

Cheryl & Gavin

Room Tip: We stayed in the Georgian suite for both or our stays and will again in the future. The other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a downstairs room and although no view was everything we needed. Superb bathroom, comfy bed, friendly staff. Was good for 1 night. As they were preparing for a wedding, The Brasserie was not open but we were directed to a super Italian restaurant (Vittoria's) at the end of the street.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited No 11 for my birthday in April 2014 and stayed for two nights.

We stayed in the Georgian suite which was hands down the nicest hotel room either of us have ever stayed in - the only slight negative was the the windows seem to be original and they do let in a little bit of noise.

We didn't have dinner at the hotel but had breakfast both mornings - the full cooked breakfast was delicious and the staff very attentive.

Only one slight disappointment during our stay and this was that we were unable to check in at 11:00am as our booking email stated. We were able to leave our bags and took the time to explore Princes Street instead.

Good bus service not far from the hotel which we used to take us to the zoo and also St Andrew Square - which was lit up at night during our stay and incredibly beautiful.

This was a pricey hotel choice for us but well worth it, and we have he funds again would definitely return!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Picked up a itson deal for No.11 deluxe room with BB & Evening meal + wine for 2 nights fantastic value. Room superb and I had the best steak in years. Breakfast is very good plenty of it. Staff excellent very attentive catered for all our needs. I would highly recommend No.11 less that 5 min from Princes Street and Railway Station. Situated in a quiet street. I have stayed in Edinburgh several times and would go back to the Brunswick again. Hotel was full when we went very popular. Would not hesitate paying normal rate if I'm in Edinburgh again worth it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelso, Scotland
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here one night with an itison deal which included sparkling wine in the room, bed and breakfast and a full 3 course evening dinner. We had a lovely top floor room which we couldn't fault. The evening meal in the cosy brasserie was top notch and service was so polite and helpful. Breakfast was unusual in that everything was served at the table, nothing on a buffet. This personal service was excellent and the food was lovely too. Overall would love to stay here again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I thought I would simply share my feed back email to the Hotel .
I have to say my stay at your Hotel was a real let down, I find the hotel very bland with no personality unlike your web site there are no pictures or fresh flowers to be seen.
The staff apart from a very charming young man who served us dinner showed little or no interest and indeed just looked like they could not be bothered.
Our dinner was a disgrace I had cod which was absolutely raw which I returned only to be serve with another piece equally raw, the second piece I actually put my finger into the fish and it was stone cold.
I found the hotels standard of cleanliness fell way below par with dust in every corner; I moved the two seater couch in the room only to reveal a thick layer of dust, hair a pen and a child's hair band.
We stayed in the Georgian suite with the TV which has all the cables hanging down the wall, and the dirtiest carpet I have ever seen in a Hotel.
To finish my stay we had breakfast with stone cold bacon and warm bread which was presented as toast washed down with a cold cup of coffee.
We have stayed in almost all the boutique hotels in Edinburgh, I have only written one review in my life for a Hotel which was the Dakota and indeed is one of the best hotels I have stayed in and for service is on par with the Balmoral.
Your Hotel will be the second Hotel I have felt strongly enough about to write a review.

5 Thank Bruce M