Ballantrae West End Hotel
Orbitz.com
US$125
US$107
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$759
US$611
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We came back from a trip to Malaga[Spain} and the flight times left it too late for us to get a train back to Aberdeen. We booked this hotel just by browsing though sites ,and plumped for this one . We were in room 12 , which was handy being at ground level , my wife is disabled . We could not fault the hotel or it,s staff , and breakfast was smashing , overall good stay . On the negative side , the wash basin in en-suite was not fixed to wall , my wife nearly had an accident as she held on to it when she came out of shower , and the couch in the room was a disgrace , badly needing re-sprung , or indeed the tip . Pity because this couple of things spoilt a 100% stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Tidy hotel and all the staff were very helpful and polite. Situated close to the West end of Princes Street, five minutes walk and ten minutes walk to Murrayfield. There is no lift in the hotel but that was not a problem for our group. Rooms were clean with comfortable beds. Definitely go back there.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Beautiful hotel and the receptionist very nice. Big rooms and I had a beautiful view of Edinburgh. Decent breakfast. Very central to all the Edinburgh attractions. Enjoyed the stay. will stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel for a gig at the Castle and we werent disappointed nor where we overwhelmed by it. Its a decent location, 20 minute walk or 5 minute taxi from the bus station, the girl at reception was very helpful and went to a few places pre gig that she had recommended and enjoyed them. The view, if it wasnt for those pesky rooftops of buildings, would have been lovely. Price was decent for being in Edinburgh but if you could get something closer to the city for maybe £10-20 more I would recommend getting that.

Room Tip: Dont ask for Room 1, long trip up the stairs!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I think it's a case of getting what you pay for. This hotel is cheaper than many in Edinburgh, and for what we paid it was OK. Yes, the furniture is old-fashioned, but it could be argued that it matches the architectural features. My room was comfortable and warm. Bedding was OK and I slept well. Some reports here are out of date as I had flat screen TV with all digital channels.

Continental breakfast wasn't great - although in a wonderful room, we paid £5 for hot breakfast one day, which was slightly better - my advice would be to skip breakfast an go round the corner to the Mercat bar.

One moan I would have, as with many London hotels, is that beyond tea, coffee and white or brown toast the waiting staff could not understand English

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business