“Beatiful and Lively Church on Prines Street”

Church of St John the Evangelist
City Sightseeing Edinburgh Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Beatiful and Lively Church on Prines Street”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

As I was leaving St Cuthberts, I saw another promising church building on street level. After hiking up the stairs to street level I set about to find the entrance. Unfortunately I followed the sign to the promised cafe, so I went round the whole building before finding the actual door to the church hall.
At the back of the church there are some small shops (religious books, charities, cafe) overlooking Princes Street Gardens. The entrance to the church is opposite to the Caledonian Hotel, part of the Hilton Group.
This turned out to be the Church of St John the Evangelist, part of the Scottish Episcopal Church. With its magnificent high walls and stained windows, it looks more like a cathedral to me. Modern lighting gave the place warmth.
It was harvest time, so a lot of produce was laid out in front of the altar. The number of drawings indicated that this must be a very lively family community.
The building itself will soon be 200 years old according to the leaflet I found.

1 Thank greatplaingirl