“Love this place and love the staff!”
Review of Craigmillar Castle

and up
Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
Ranked #35 of 459 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: The castle of Craigmillar is one of the most perfectly preserved castles in Scotland. Even today, the castle retains the character of a medieval stronghold. Building began in the early 15th century, and over the next 250 years the castle became a comfortable residence surrounded by fine gardens and pastureland. The castles history is not only closely involved with the city of Edinburgh, but plays an important part in the story of Mary Queen of Scots who fled to Craigmillar Castle following the murder of Rizzio. It was in the castle where the plot was hatched to murder Marys husband, Lord Darnley. Built round an L-plan tower house of the early 15th Century, Craigmillar was much expanded in the 15th and 16th Centuries. It is a handsome ruin, including a range of private rooms linked to the hall of the old tower. Open all year. Winter closed Thurs and Fri.
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We went here last Monday (03rd Dec) because we were on a short break to Edinburgh and because my husband has never been to Edinburgh before and had only ever heard of Craigmillar Castle from my childhood stories, I persuaded him to drive up there (fully believing we'd only be able to look at it because we had our Border Collie, Ella with us) but he persuaded me to go in and ask - I doubtfully asked the lovely lady in the shop and to my delight she said it was fine to take our dog in with us, so long as we took responsibility for her and her safety (and everyone else's) due to tight spiral staircases, low walls, steep sheer drops and the icy conditions of the day.
I was totally delighted and as usual I had a wonderful time there (this really IS my favourite place in the world!) and it really made our wedding anniversary break absolutely special.
Love the castle and love the staff - every time I go, there is always a warm, smiley welcome and the staff are just as lovely when you leave.
Thankyou everyone at Craigmillar Castle for always being so nice but even more so for allowing us to take our dog in last Monday (although I had to put her mess in the ladies loo bin as there were no other bins - sorry but I really didn't fancy driving all the way to Manchester straight after Craigmillar Castle with a bag of dog mess, lol)
Seriously though, next time I'm back in Edinburgh, I'll be back spending more money with you :)

- talking of money, people who complain about the entrance fee should remember that the money we pay, helps to preserve this wonderful and beautiful building and when I used to visit and play there as a little girl, there weren't even any toilet facilities x

2  Thank desmondsdoll
in 10 reviews
"walk up"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Craigmillar Castle is just perfect for kids who just want to run around and pretend to be a King/Queen in their own little world. My son had a fantastic time and said he never wanted to leave. It is a ruin and so perfect for not having to say "dont touch"! Kids can explore and have fun and live their own wee adventure. We visisted on an extremely cold day on St Andrews weekend when we could visit for free and we will definately return and are even considering joining Historic Scotland after this visit.

1  Thank edincupcake
Reviewed 19 November 2012

For a park with such a long history it's condition should have been a lot better. Whilst there are interpretation boards they are poor in condition and content. The outlook to Arthur's seat and to the Forth Estuary are spectacular. This has not been capitalised upon! The park is quite heavily used by both visitors and local people. More would come if it were in better condition.This park surrounding a famous building was badly maintained; no maintained footpaths for so heavily used an area. Trees were poorly maintained and there was none if any care of the grounds.
Here is an opportunity to show off a little bit of Edinburgh's cultural wealth but unfortunately the local authority have failed. A great pity!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Unlike the popular Edinburgh Castle, you pay an extremely reasonable price to get into this castle, and once in, you are free to roam! It was great to be able to visit all parts of the castle, and to do it unhindered by huge groups of tourists made it even better. Really interesting spot for history buffs!

1  Thank MissAmeliaWho