Review of DOM

Reviewed 10 September 2012

nice place to wine and dine.
went couple of times with my friend and work collegues over rugby weekends and works nightouts and its just great.
good service and value for your money.

definately recommendable and a big thumbs up.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

yes the place looks amazing and the service was absolutely professional but wasn't impressed with the foot at all...found it all frozen and just not tasty.

Reviewed 12 September 2006

Not only did this little, out of the way art museum have the haunted quality of being housed in the oldest residence in Olde Towne, the art itself contained a deeply spiritual aspect that really touched me.
The use of symbolism and the modern take on medieaval style drew me up and up the stair and had me lingering overlong on each floor, much to the dismay of my companions. As an artist myself, I felt I had some part in the making of the art I saw there; that's how much it spoke my soul.
I paid more that one visit during my stay in Edinburgh. On my last, there was music drifting through the building that enhanced the experience tenfold.
If you have this sort of art in you then you will share in my absolute love of the DOM.
This little place isn't accessible for those who have trouble tackling the stairs. Fortuately, you can get a taste of what is on the higher floors by visiting the gift shop. They have some nifty stuff in there, worth every pence.

3  Thank Zilya
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2001

DOM is a unique art gallery in the oldest existing residential building in Edinburgh. Down a narrow and charming alley off "The Royal Mile" to enter it is to enter another world, a world of very talented and interesting paintings, sculpture, art glass, and other objects, united primarily by a particular vision of the metaphysical aspects of art. Each step in the three story building holds a very pleasant surprise as stone works embedded in the niches or building stone, fabulous art glass, or irresistable paintings adorn the spaces. The large gallery on the top floor culminates this most pleasant journey in the world of art. A type of cooperative, DOM is run by an extremely talented painter [Maria Rud] with her unique visions that seem to combine medieval art, Chagall, and early Picasso in their own unique style, and her equally talented stone sculptor husband [Ewan Allinson]. After a few minutes' conversation you will understand why their work is so interesting, as they are fascinating themselves. With a small gift shop of original and creative more commercial work, DOM is a definite highlight of any trip to Edinburgh and a a great respite from the interesting and fun but touristy castle, Holyrood Palace, and shopping of the rest of the city. An unusual 'find.'

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member