“Lots of potential.”

Ranked #45 of 417 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Zoo is set in 82 acres of sloping parkland and is situated three miles to the west of Edinburgh city centre. It is home to over 1,000 rare and endangered animals, including chimpanzees, sun bears, Indian Rhinos, the UK's only koalas and the first Giant Pandas in the UK for 17 years.You can experience a busy programme of educational events and activities from keeper talks to hands-on animal encounters. There is also a wide-range of eating experiences, several play areas and a fantastic gift shop.Viewing for the Giant Pandas is free but ticketed.(Included with entry fee) To avoid disappointment we are advising all visitors to pre-book their tickets through our website to guarantee viewing. Panda viewing tickets must be booked at the same time as you buy your entry ticket.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Worth a trip for sure, don't be put of by other reviews. Tickets came to £31 for 2 of us which is very reasonable. We were given a Panda viewing time when buying the entrance tickets. The pandas are an amazing experience, the staff are very knowledgeable with the pandas and seem really proud and passionate of whole panda revival. Very interesting to hear about the programme. The rest of the zoo is worth the admission fee as there are a large variety of animals on show and you can see a lot is being developed and improved for the next year (i.e.. penguin tank). I will be back to see the changes time and time again. Don't worry about the big cats, the lions and tigers have plenty of room in their enclosures, but the jaguars and leopard could do with bigger enclosures but they had everything they needed in there. I noticed no cruelty to the animals and all the keepers seem passionate with their work. The monkey house is incredible and the chimpanzee building again is world class. This zoo is one to watch if the development keeps going. Its hard to compare to Chester as they have much more land so I advise you to visit yourself and support Scotland's' zoo and support the breeding programme to increase endangered species in the wild.

1  Thank Fraser87

Reviewed 13 October 2012

I was looking forward to my visit to the zoo but was disappointed that they didn't have all their animals there. For example, the big cats, tropical birds, and some other animals were not even there. The best part by far was the pandas (which to be honest, was the only reason I went in the first place) so I got what I came for. However, I was disappointed with the rest of the animal selection. There is a lovely mansion house on the grounds though and you can get an excellent view from the zebra "hut".

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Before you go, visit their website for any needed information, because if you want to see the Giant Pandas, their main attraction since last year, you have to buy your ticket online! This Zoo is few miles away from the city but with easy access via bus. You will need some good condition because you will climbing a little mountain. But it worth it, from the top you have a wonderful overview. Famous is their penguin parade, they have Sun Bears and Koalas. So much too see and to enjoy!

Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

Went with 3 friends and had a good day out. The zoo is a lovely place to walk around, The hilly setting making an interesting layout. Went to see the giant pandas who were sleeping which I am sure is normal but our Jamie Bell lookalike tourguide gave an interesting talk and it was still a privilege to see them. Also enjoyed the Animal antics show at the hilltop view. This was also presented by a cheerful and knowledgable young lady who put on a great show with some very well trained birds despite the breezy conditions. I know people have mixed views about zoos but I do think they have their place in the world and this place does seem to hold the animals' welfare as a priority.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

What a disappointment took my daughter for her birthday. I feel you're only paying to see the giant pandas £37.80 we paid for 2 adults and a child. No penguins plenty of construction workers. We kept walking and walking hoping to see things like giraffes but nothing like that at Edinburgh zoo I'm afraid. Won't be back!

1  Thank Jamieses1982