“Okay I guess.”

Ranked #95 of 433 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Zoo is set in 82 acres of sloping parkland and is situated three miles to the west of Edinburgh city centre. It is home to over 1,000 rare and endangered animals, including chimpanzees, sun bears, Indian Rhinos, the UK's only koalas and the first Giant Pandas in the UK for 17 years.You can experience a busy programme of educational events and activities from keeper talks to hands-on animal encounters. There is also a wide-range of eating experiences, several play areas and a fantastic gift shop.Viewing for the Giant Pandas is free but ticketed.(Included with entry fee) To avoid disappointment we are advising all visitors to pre-book their tickets through our website to guarantee viewing. Panda viewing tickets must be booked at the same time as you buy your entry ticket.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I don't know really what to say about this place. We finally managed to see the Panda after running about a mile up hill in order to do so, if not for this I think the score would have been even lower. There was nothing out apart from the lion and a few other animals which I understand the zoo can't force the animals to be on display, but it is annoying to walk up giant hills only to find things empty! Those we did see didn't appear to have any enrichment activities. The aviary in particular was a let down as I love birds and it is tiny with perhaps ten birds in there. We turned up to two talks and both didn't take place -why?? The food in the restaurant was so overpriced, £3.95 for a child portion of chips. Please don't even attempt going if you have any kind of mobility issues, the hills are gruelling for even the fittest of people!

Don't think I would go back if I were in the area again.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,009)
All reviews
in 625 reviews
"lions"
in 330 reviews

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Panda was off limits because she might be pregnant. The Tiger was hiding. The Penguins were cute. The painted Dog was hiding. Everything was having a kip or being reclusive. Cage after cage. Field after field. Oh. There's a Zebra. There's a Lion having a kip. On upside had a lovely walk and many enclosures improved since I was last there @ 10 years ago. Many families there having fun. Shop excellent. If the animals hadn't been hiding or having a kip would have been good.

1  Thank Gregalfa
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My grand daughters love animals, so we visit a Zoo everywhere we go with them. This one is really close to our heart, as the penguins are kept in a very cleverly designed place, where they swim in a stream and entertained us for long hours. It's a must see!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a World Class Zoo. There are all the usual animals, including the tallest giraffes I think I've ever seen. I have spent over half a day here and enjoyed every minute of it. There are Penquins on parade twice a day, and human viewers are up close on the paths. There are about four kinds of penguins and they all look to be as curious about the viewers as we are about them. Great for photos. They are also visible in the water through windows in their water pools. They are amazing, incredible swimmers. The Zoo is an easy bus ride from around the city.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Arrived mid-late morning, really looking forward to a day out at the zoo. Upon entry we was told the panda viewing would not be for almost another 4 hours. OK that's not too bad plenty to see beforehand, or so we thought. Went past the meercats and the chimpanzee to an empty cage, then another empty cage. Things started to repeat more often now...empty cages! Every big cat enclosure was empty. Infact pretty much everything was empty. Go across the bridge with the hyenas? Well I think that's what the photo said we should see but again nothing there. Not even a reptile house. Food places closed.
Nearly £17 each and did we see the panda's? No, we had left after about 2 and a half hours and seeing everything out at least twice.
Unfortunately a waste of money and a waste of our time.
So disappointing.