“Regarding the cafe only”
Review of Gorgie City Farm

Gorgie City Farm
Ranked #103 of 402 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are Edinburgh's only City Farm located in Gorgie, near Tynecastle. We have large and small livestock including cows, pigs, goats & chickens, and rabbits, guinea pigs, tortoises & a snake and are open to the public for FREE - 7 days a week, with donations appreciated and relied upon to help look after the animals and support the 130+ youth and vulnerable adults who work on the farm every week. We now only have disabled parking so would encourage you to come by bus or lift share if practical as local parking is limited. We offer volunteering opportunities and children's activities including parties. Check out our website for information or get in touch!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Regarding the cafe only”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am a big fan of the city farm, I find what they have done is truly amazing. However, since there are no profile for Gorgie city farm CAFE as an separate establishment I will write my review here:

This cafe has a great potential to do brilliantly not only for itself but also to attract more people to the farm. Sadly, it was a terrible experience. The place is clearly neglected with stains on the walls and sticky tables that have not been clean properly for some time. The food was atrocious, you need to get somebody who knows the basics of food (half a jar of mayo with a bit of tuna between two slices of bread will not do) and it does not cost much more to make a descent edible sandwich. Last, the staff seem to be annoyed by the customers presence, not friendly whatsoever.

This was a quiet rainy day, so no putting the blame on being busy.

The coffee was good, but I will never go back there unless some significant changes have been made.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank sanka07
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Hello
Thanks for your feedback; we have taken your comments on board and are endeavouring to make improvements- for instance the tables have been re-varnished to reduce the stickiness caused by the detergent dissolving previous layers and leaving the surface tacky.
The tuna/mayo balance seems to have improved too!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not sure”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Me and my friend took our small children to the farm recently but I wasn't impressed there is a lot of repairs needing done and I was also very worried about a couple of animals welfare especially one of the cows that was so thin you could see every bone sticking out also the green houses they grow vegetables in everything was dead nothing nice to see think it needs a good fix up

1 Thank Jen W
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you were disappointed by your visit.
The only cow is a normal size and weight for a working dairy cow only 6-8 weeks after calving. She is fed sufficiently [bucket of concentrate twice per day plus adlib feeding re hay and haylage and access to an energy lick] however will convert the majority of her feed to milk and running her body systems, movement etc. rather than weight gain. She is feeding 4 calves [all our other cattle] as her milk production warrants this- she would be uncomfortable otherwise.
A fat dairy cow is not desirable as she would have difficulty calving and indeed conceiving [the natural shape is triangular- broad at the hips which are prominent in most breeds; beef cattle are much more cuboid shaped in the body!].
I believe you caught the greenhouses at an in between stage- and as one of our main purposes is to involve volunteers and to train them in all the stages of the growing and gardening process it had probably not been tackled by a group yet for concentrating on the live stuff!
To the question of repairs - yes,indeed- pressures on staff time and finances [remember we are free, and open 363+ days per year] mean functionality and safety are favoured over cosmetics and we don't always get to non urgent stuff as quickly as we'd like. Whilst we do benefit from corporate groups many tasks are weather sensitive or require training not practical on that larger scale. Vicious winters do not help either!
Edinburgh
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great for a young child's birthday party.”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I have just held our daughter's 3rd birthday party at Gorgie City Farm. It was recommended to me by several people and I'm very glad I opted for it. We had the following: a small animal handling session (guinea pig, chinchilla, tortoise, hen and a snake); a pony ride and chance to feed the pigs, goats, sheep and calves. We then had use of the party room and we opted to provide our own food/drink and party bags. Finally, the children had some time in the play-park. In total, we had 9 children and the venue was ideal for all them (aged between 3 and 7). Ros and other staff were helpful and flexible with arrangements. At no point did it feel rushed.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank walterbell
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Hi there, thanks for adding your feedback.
You definitely benefited from being being the only party of the day- takes away a lot of the finishing up rush/ turn around panic!
Do come and see how the small fry grow up- and we'd be happy to see you next year!
Ros
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worthy attraction but needs more resources and friendlier staff”
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I visited today for my several dozenth visit with my son. Everything seemed to be in disrepair and the staff were ignorant, in the correct meaning of that word, or in one case, actually rude when we tried to get past a member of staff who had parked her vehicle across a pathway.

Like I say, I have been many times before. My kid is now at an age where farm attractions are of decreasing entertainment value, however, he still found Hall Hill Farm in Co Durham very good only a few weeks ago.

Anyway, the outfit obviously survives on a shoe-string and it would be a real shame for kids in Edinburgh if it disappeared, but it needs to sharpen up, be more welcoming and courteous to visitors and be more relevant.

5 Thank spoonfitter
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hello
Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry you got a poor impression of the farm on your recent visit. We work very hard to be welcoming and accommodating to visitors.
I would reassure you our staff are fully qualified or have many, many years of experience in their field [whether that be farming, social work, youth work or project management- we are after all not just a farm attraction - we see ourselves as a working small holding providing well over 200 volunteer and work experience opportunities per year as well as hands on children's activities and therapeutic services.]. Our volunteers however [in the same uniform] may not yet share their knowledge and there should be no problem in that - gaining it is after all one of the main reasons they come to the farm. (I am working from the formal definition of ignorance, rather than the colloquial use.)
Regarding your indication of everything seeming in disrepair I would point out unfortunately as a free entry site, open 363+ days per year we have minimal budget and staff [time] for cosmetic repairs over functional and safe- fixing wear and tear is rarely as attractive to funders as new projects are - we have though recently refurbished our play park with the help of corporate groups and others [it reopened 4 days prior to your visit]. Many of our sheds, hutches etc. are also second-hand and our gates and fences victim to climbers/ leaners whether human or animals after food.
You mention your son's advancing years- perhaps he would enjoy our holiday Farmers Helpers Activities [for 8-12 y.o] or the handling sessions/pony rides running most weekends.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Visited today for the first time in about 20 years, since I moved away from Edinburgh. I took my 11 year old daughter and we both had an excellent time. Loved the gardens, the animals and the staff. Everyone was very friendly and so helpful. AND we learnt how to make gorgeous stars out of newspaper at the craft swap! Can't believe it's free admission, just a suggested donation. Will definitely be back with my 12, 7 and 3 year olds too.

1 Thank JGMacD
RA_GCF, at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Hi, thanks for your review; we're glad you enjoyed your good pick on the timing-and hope you enjoyed all the changes over the years since you last visited too. We are having a fair type element Saturday 10th August if you wish to guarantee the small fry a chance of some small animal handling pony rides etc., Junior the sheep might be on parade too!