“A good day out”

Gorgie City Farm
Ranked #104 of 394 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are Edinburgh's only City Farm located in Gorgie, near Tynecastle. We have large and small livestock including cows, pigs, goats & chickens, and rabbits, guinea pigs, tortoises & a snake and are open to the public for FREE - 7 days a week, with donations appreciated and relied upon to help look after the animals and support the 130+ youth and vulnerable adults who work on the farm every week. We now only have disabled parking so would encourage you to come by bus or lift share if practical as local parking is limited. We offer volunteering opportunities and children's activities including parties. Check out our website for information or get in touch!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A good day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Second visit to the farm and still very much enamoured by what the guys are doing there, a working small holding in the city? How lucky are we, having access to something like this for free. Particularly like how "real" and unique it is, much of today's attractions are sanitised and its surely good for kids to experience a wee farm that's really a farm! Love the cafe, soup is amazing, cakes far too yummy for my own good. Prices are very reasonable and the place is nicely relaxed and welcoming Will definitely be back, and happy to bring visitors along to share this experience. Things I would change? It would be great if it was closer to the centre of town as, for me, it's in the wrong direction and warrants a special trip. If it was more central it would benefit from passing footfall and, hopefully more donations. How about the council ending the " to do" about the site at the back if the Cannongate and donating the site to the farm? Thanks for a grand day...again.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank Terri T
RA_GCF, Employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thanks for another review Terri, glad to see you enjoyed your visit again; you clearly 'get' us and what we aim and try to be about.
We admin staff have the same difficulty with the cakes...
Sounds like you'd plot well with our manager too- he's one for Grand Schemes and Plans!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“cafe is the worse i have ever been to”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

farm was not at all well set out with many places inaccessible with the pram so we had to miss most of the farm out. animals did not seem well looked after and many were in cages far too small for them. then on to the cafe if the farm was bad then the cafe was worse, first we went in and were the only ones there and after standing at the counter for some time i had to ask to be served this gave me the first experience of staff who don't like customers there was 4 staff in the building at this time and all were as rude as each other. the girl took my order which was hardly rocket science being a sandwich, toast and beans a hot chocolate and 2 teas. after 4 other family's had been served and 2 actually given their orders which amounted to more than my order i asked where mine was to be grunted at by the male help who told me to speak to someone else then finally i was given my food which included bread and cold beans when asked about this the assistant told me the toaster must have fallen over hence the bread, i find this hard to believe as surely this would have resulted in burnt toast and surely they would have noticed, it also came with cold 'hot' chocolate which my son would not drink finally when they replaced the bread and beans with the asked for toast and beans they have obviously microwaved the beans as they were that hot they burnt my son since they gave them directly to my 3 year old. They also decided it would be a good idea to put a chocolate biscuit on my 1 year old's plate of sandwiches after me asking them not to as if he seen that he would not eat the sandwich which surprise surprise he didnt along with the chocolate biscuit they also put a small white plastic cow on the plate that was clearly labeled as not suitable for 0-3 years. they also hummed over whether to give me the cakes i had asked and had already paid for then eventually decided they were going to squash them into take away tea cups until asked other wise the toilets looked and smelled like they have been used by the farm animals and at this we left unable to take anymore. if you want to see animals i would much recommend mill farm in west lothian where i have never encountered any such problems or service and the animals are all well looked after.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank karen m
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Hello, thanks for your feedback.

We'd be obliged if you could contact us to clarify
a) which animals and cages you have concerns about [as we are visited regularly by the SSPCA and it's government equivalent without complaint] and
b) which points were difficult for access as we try to be fully wheelchair/ buggy accessible- and I am struggling to visualise any point that [with our recently finished ramp to the wildlife garden included] is not accessible to buggies etc. by some means even if not the most direct route having taken tours with buggies among them and our 4 foot square trolley into all areas.
Unfortunately we are limited in our set out by the nature of the site- on a hill- and the existing structures dating from its historical uses and the small relative size of the farm.

We take on board your comments about the cafe and apologise that you had a bad experience. As to the toilets - these are cleaned daily and after any significant incident notified to us - it is not practical for kitchen staff working with food/ farm staff working with animals to clear up after every spillage, set of mucky feet traipsing through etc- you'd be surprised at how many fail to take responsibility for their own mess.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Regarding the cafe only”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am a big fan of the city farm, I find what they have done is truly amazing. However, since there are no profile for Gorgie city farm CAFE as an separate establishment I will write my review here:

This cafe has a great potential to do brilliantly not only for itself but also to attract more people to the farm. Sadly, it was a terrible experience. The place is clearly neglected with stains on the walls and sticky tables that have not been clean properly for some time. The food was atrocious, you need to get somebody who knows the basics of food (half a jar of mayo with a bit of tuna between two slices of bread will not do) and it does not cost much more to make a descent edible sandwich. Last, the staff seem to be annoyed by the customers presence, not friendly whatsoever.

This was a quiet rainy day, so no putting the blame on being busy.

The coffee was good, but I will never go back there unless some significant changes have been made.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank sanka07
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Hello
Thanks for your feedback; we have taken your comments on board and are endeavouring to make improvements- for instance the tables have been re-varnished to reduce the stickiness caused by the detergent dissolving previous layers and leaving the surface tacky.
The tuna/mayo balance seems to have improved too!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not sure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Me and my friend took our small children to the farm recently but I wasn't impressed there is a lot of repairs needing done and I was also very worried about a couple of animals welfare especially one of the cows that was so thin you could see every bone sticking out also the green houses they grow vegetables in everything was dead nothing nice to see think it needs a good fix up

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jen W
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you were disappointed by your visit.
The only cow is a normal size and weight for a working dairy cow only 6-8 weeks after calving. She is fed sufficiently [bucket of concentrate twice per day plus adlib feeding re hay and haylage and access to an energy lick] however will convert the majority of her feed to milk and running her body systems, movement etc. rather than weight gain. She is feeding 4 calves [all our other cattle] as her milk production warrants this- she would be uncomfortable otherwise.
A fat dairy cow is not desirable as she would have difficulty calving and indeed conceiving [the natural shape is triangular- broad at the hips which are prominent in most breeds; beef cattle are much more cuboid shaped in the body!].
I believe you caught the greenhouses at an in between stage- and as one of our main purposes is to involve volunteers and to train them in all the stages of the growing and gardening process it had probably not been tackled by a group yet for concentrating on the live stuff!
To the question of repairs - yes,indeed- pressures on staff time and finances [remember we are free, and open 363+ days per year] mean functionality and safety are favoured over cosmetics and we don't always get to non urgent stuff as quickly as we'd like. Whilst we do benefit from corporate groups many tasks are weather sensitive or require training not practical on that larger scale. Vicious winters do not help either!
Edinburgh
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great for a young child's birthday party.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I have just held our daughter's 3rd birthday party at Gorgie City Farm. It was recommended to me by several people and I'm very glad I opted for it. We had the following: a small animal handling session (guinea pig, chinchilla, tortoise, hen and a snake); a pony ride and chance to feed the pigs, goats, sheep and calves. We then had use of the party room and we opted to provide our own food/drink and party bags. Finally, the children had some time in the play-park. In total, we had 9 children and the venue was ideal for all them (aged between 3 and 7). Ros and other staff were helpful and flexible with arrangements. At no point did it feel rushed.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank walterbell
RA_GCF, employee at Gorgie City Farm, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Hi there, thanks for adding your feedback.
You definitely benefited from being being the only party of the day- takes away a lot of the finishing up rush/ turn around panic!
Do come and see how the small fry grow up- and we'd be happy to see you next year!
Ros