“Mosaic classes”
Review of Lauriston Castle

Lauriston Castle
Ranked #124 of 446 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I spent an excellent weekend learning the craft of mosaics. Outstandingly beautiful venue steeped ìn history. Our hosts offered us a free tour of the castle. The weather obliged and we worked in the private sunny courtyard. The gardens were glorious in the sun. One of our hosts is a successful artist and was very helpful and encouraging. Margaret as always was an excellent tutor and provided numerous opportunities for refreshments.
BEST TO BOOK IN PERSON AT THE CITY ART CENTRE for all Lauriston Castle events. No fees and they offer a discount for multiple bookings.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"wee"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went to the two day Mexican Mosaics class and had a brilliant time. Made a plethora of mosaics for our house with an almost endless supply of tiles and special little decorations. Such great value for money and the staff are fantastic, so welcoming and helpful. Spen some time in the grounds at lunch watching people playing croquet and out walking their dogs and playing with their kids. A fantastic venue for craft classes and also to just spend the day in the sun enjoying the gardens. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

I like it for the fact it is so quiet, and for the views to the Forth. But, it's not worth going out of your way for.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Went with my two young girls, 6 and 8. Had a wonderful visit, the girls had a blast making a felt artwork (see picture). Beautiful grounds and castle. Great family outing!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

I purchased 3 tickets from Groupon at £9 each for general admission for 2 adults and 1 child age 5 my 2 year old went free. I then read the horrendous reviews on here and was a little sceptical about going however felt I had to see for myself. I am so glad we went and lots of people moaning about no car park facilities it does state on their web page there isn't any. We travelled through from Glasgow which was 1 train and a short bus journey the kids loved that part of our day out just as much as they loved wandering round the Jurassic Kingdom. I seen 2 dinosaurs with wires roudn their legs that didn't make it look out of sorts by any means to 2 young kids. There was 1 I seen with a bent/broken tail but again the children didn't notice. We checked the weather for the day and took waterproof clothing just incase. We read that it was muddy so took wellies. It was easily accessible for prams a little muddy at some parts but nothing we couldn't get through. If it had been raining it may have made us a little miserable as it was a little cold but we picked a great day to go the weather stayed dry. There was plenty of photo opportunities the only thing we paid for was the ride on a big dinosaur which was £2 we took a packed lunch so didn't need to spend at the stalls on the way in. The children had time to run about, climb on dinosaurs for photos and had amazing fun we were there for an hour and a half but can see how people could get round it in under an hour it's what you make of it that counts. I thought the display was great the sounds and movement the kids loved. I felt it was more of a reasonable price from Groupon rather than paying full price but the main thing is the kids loved it. I would go back again it would be even better if the sun was out we could have spent longer there. I would say if you buy a 10am ticket you can still go at 12 and have plenty fun there's no one to tell you it's time to go! We made a day of it and it was great so go see for yourself take a packed lunch, a ball, get dressed for the occasion in anything dinosaur and have some fun!

1  Thank Charlene M