“Creepy vaults, public whipping, & Black Agnes.”
Review of Mercat Tours

Mercat Tours
Book In Advance
US$42.16*
and up
Edinburgh Historical Walking Tour Including Skip the Line Entry to Edinburgh...
US$18.27*
Edinburgh Night Walking Including Underground Vaults
US$18.27*
Underground Vaults Historical Walking Tour in Edinburgh
Ranked #21 of 218 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 'History is a damn good story, what it needs is a damn good telling!' We're a family business and simply love sharing Edinburgh's stories. We're the original, largest, and first 5 star walking tour company in Scotland giving guaranteed quality. With a warm welcome and our award-winning storytelling and tour routes, we'll help you explore and discover Edinburgh. Our expert guides offer a unique, memorable glimpse of our remarkable history. With guaranteed daily departures, year round we offer exclusive access to Blair Street Underground Vaults, Edinburgh Castle, Palace of Holyroodhouse & National Museum of Scotland. Our tours begin at 10am and finish at 10pm, so we're sure we'll find something for you!
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our Ghost and Ghoul tour around the Mercat Cross area and underground vaults. Our tour guide, Black Agnes was both knowledgable and eloquent, and even though her dark persona was played up at the start, i felt very comforted at her presence during the dank and dripping tour of the underground vaults. She obviously loved her subject and that came across to the group. Her story telling abilities were unrivalled, and i could really feel the historic and mysterious past coming through. Our tour culminated in a drink in a creepy tavern style room, which was just the ticket for my ragged nerves. Our drink was only interrupted by the heavy resounding sound of "Mr.Boots" booming around us. Even though our tour was relatively reserved and afraid to ask questions, Agnes was able to keep the stories and atmosphere flowing. Very entertaining.

3  Thank Mudgeface
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for getting in touch - you are obviously lucky, not everyone is visited by Mr Boots! Keep in touch and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,617)

Reviewed 14 July 2011

The tour was enjoyed by everyone and black Agnus was a wonderful guide. She provided a balance between humour and history. I would happily recommend Mercat Tours to anyone! It's a great experience, and they cater for adults and children alike.

2  Thank Katrinaaaaaaaa

Thank you very much for your feedback - we'll be sure to pass on your compliments to our Black Agnes!

Reviewed 13 July 2011

First off I must own up to not being a believer in ghosts and spirits so I wasn't expecting anything to go boo in the night. However, there were plenty on the tour who did seem spooked and couldn't get out of the vaults quick enough.

My friend and I went on the 10:15pm Hidden and Haunted tour with Alex as a guide and found it to be well worth the £10 paid. We found Alex to be a great guide and storyteller and this really came to the fore when we were in the vaults and he told the history and stories of the supposed ghosts down there with great aplomb.

If you are in Edinburgh for a few nights I would highly recommend taking one of these late night tours for a different view of the place and to get some hidden places you wouldn't otherwise see.

1  Thank Marse86
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Franny McWee is your guide and she was very funny. The tour was very informative of the persons of the past. It was not too Ghosty however i think in the dark it would be a little more spooky.

1  Thank kievro
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I (ages 27 and 30) booked the Mercat 'The Secrets of the Royal Mile' Tour from the Tourist Information centre, right by Waverley train station, and then made our way up to The Royal Mile area of Edinburgh. We met Sue, our guide, who was friendly, polite and she certainly new her stuff, having being doing these tours for 10 years or so. The Tour started by St.Gile's Cathedral and snaked in and out of some of the most interesting buildings and places along about a 1/2 mile area, so there is not actually too much walking involved (if you have bad legs/backs etc take a small foldable stool so you can perch and rest while the guide is talking; I just sat on the kerb or wherever I could!)

The amount of information you get for the money is fantastic; I like history but I can only take in so much at a time, but this tour strikes the balance between being informative, without being dull. Young children are not allowed on the tour, and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend taking anyone under the age of 12 on it (an hour and a half is a long time to be standing and listening for kids!)

I would certainly recommend these tours, and we'd do a different one with this company when we come for our next trip to Edinburgh.

1  Thank Cherryhodz
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Thank you for taking time to leave your review of Sue's tour. As our mantra states, 'History is a damned good story, what it needs is a damn good telling' - I'm delighted you felt Sue did! I will make sure to pass on your compliments.