“Exhibitions are Very Interesting”

National Library of Scotland
Ranked #71 of 433 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The exhibitions at the National Library are well worth a look. When we were there we saw a good exhibit on the contributions of Scotland to the world of pop-culture and science, as well as a look at the possessions and personal histories of many Scots via the John Murray Archive.

1  Thank Annie W
in 3 reviews
"scotland"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Been a few times and always impressed , recently did some research on my family , great amount of information in special section , love the little paper models , terrific facility . Staff very helpful.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Been to Edinburgh a lot of times however on March 22nd I visited the National Library of Scotland for the first time. As a student I had to go through to gather newspaper articles for my dissertation from 1981. All the articles I needed were available for me to look at in the reading room as the staff were really helpful in meeting my needs.
If your planning on going to the library I would suggest a week day visit as the reading rooms are only open til 1pm on a Saturday and closed on a Sunday which doesn't give people that much time unless you get there first thing.
The library is less than 10 minutes walk from Waverley Station just down to the left where the Bank of Scotland building is on the Royal Mile.

After a few hard hours studying there is plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby to grab a spot of lunch. The Elephant House is a popular tea room across from the library to the right as it was one of the places in Edinburgh where JK rowling wrote her Harry Potter books.

1  Thank sneddonlauren10
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I made the trip to Edinburgh especially to view a collection in the NLS. The staff were very helpful and I was able to find everything I had hoped for. Further really useful information to add to my family tree

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I drove through from Glasgow to see the Glenriddell Manuscripts because it was 100 years since they had been donated to the Library and there was a special public exhibition to commemorate this benevolent deed by the original American collector. There were no other visitors to the exhibition at that time in the afternoon and I took great delight in quoting ( quietly I thought) "Holy Willie's Prayer" from Burns original hand written pages. Well worth a visit because I understand that they normally are only viewed by special request.