“Fantastic Gallery in Princes Street Gardens”

Royal Scottish Academy
Book In Advance
More Info
US$66.90*
and up
Royal Edinburgh Ticket Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tours and Edinburgh Castle...
Ranked #140 of 402 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Formed in 1826, The Royal Scottish Academy of Art & Architecture has a proud tradition of promoting excellence in contemporary art in Scotland. Led by eminent artists and architects the Academy has re-established itself as a leading organisation for the visual arts in Scotland, and has successfully garnered a reputation for the strength of its engaging and diverse exhibitions and the fantastic opportunities it offers both established and emerging artists.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Fantastic Gallery in Princes Street Gardens”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The Gallery is on Princes Street, very close to Waverley Station.
It consists of two buildings. The one on Princes Street seemed to house the big headline exhibitions, like the Impressionist Gardens when I was there. I must admit that for £12 I had to give that one a miss. I had a look at the free exhibition by contemporary artists which was great, but quite small.
This gallery is though connected to the building in the back. The entrance to this building is free. This part houses the very impressive portrait gallery. My favourite were three ghost-like oncologists. You would not expect to see modern portraits as well, so I was very pleasantly surprised. There were some fantastic well-known renaissance, impressionist, etc. masterpieces as well. I am by no means an expert, but recognised several paintings. There was also a McTaggart exhibition when I was there. I wish I had more time. You could easily spend half a day, a day there.
The building consists of about 4 floors, but they are all accessible by lift. There is a cafe and a gift shop.
A small observation: All the security staff had trousers with check pattern.

1 Thank greatplaingirl