“Should have gone to Weatherspoons”

The Gathering Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #1,912 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$11 - US$17
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Castle / Royal Mile / High St
Description: Contemporary Scottish menu including a range of 100% Scottish Beef Burgers, fresh stone baked pizza from our oven and local classics such as Haggis, neeps ans tatties and Belhaven smoked salmon. Enjoy Runway views in a warm, relaxing space.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Gathering has a great location in the airport, however that is the only thing that is great. The food and service was awful.

I had the burger and it was truly disgusting. I ended up taking out the meat and just eating the bun. The bruschetta was cold and just chopped put on toast. After complaining about the meal, we got a very quick sorry and the waiter ran away. It was Sunday morning and very quiet.

We were also sat next to a order station which had staff hanging around it, chatting, counting tips, talking about how quiet it was, how crap their tips were etc.

Overall, very disappointed.

1  Thank Mafoo
Jonathan M, General Manager at The Gathering Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hi Mafoo

Thank you for taking the time to post although i am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the restaurant and that you did not enjoy your burger, which is one of our most popular dishes.

I would like to gain some additional information about your visit if you would not mind contacting me, either on the number above or via email at jmitchel@dncinc.com.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Gathering has an actual restaurant and lounge, but there is also a nearby takeaway kiosk for tea, coffee, pastries, crepes, sandwiches, etc. Also, for some godforsaken reason, they have haggis and black pepper flavored potato chips. No thanks, I've had haggis twice in 10 days, and that's enough to last a lifetime.

I got a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, toasted. The Scottish salmon was fresh and tasty, without any fishy overtones. Cream cheese is always a good addition to bagels, and this was no exception. The Gathering was great for a quick breakfast before our flight.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Hi Barbecue Fiend

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Glad you enjoyed your bagel.

Haggis is not for everyone, but a lot of folks around here love it!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Do not go for an Earlybird. Truly disgusting breakfast that had clearly been sitting under heat lamps for a few hours. The fried egg could easily have bounced off the floor and back on to my plate.
Felt sorry for the waitress who had a number of other customers complaining as well.

Jonathan M, General Manager at The Gathering Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Hi Turnbull2013

I am realy sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us.

I would like gain a better understanding if you would not mind contacting me, either on the number above or via email at jmitchel@dncinc.com.

Once again my apologies.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Probably one of the nicest spots in the airport as you can see the planes taking off - really great for kids and adults!!

Food very nice but pricey for basic breakfast but then it is the airport.

Clean tables in comparison to the one next door which had no view and very dirtly tables.

Jonathan M, General Manager at The Gathering Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Hi Paula 1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to my restaurant and that you all appreciated the food and the view.

We value all guest comments. Once agan thanks for posting and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Service in the seated area is much more civil than at the outside counter. Our breakfast bacon and egg rolls were perfectly satisfactory, if not outstanding.
Edinburgh must be one of the few larger airports where you can still get a view of the aircraft taking off and landing.