“Recommended without hesitation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Flitwick, United Kingdom
“Recommended without hesitation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed in A Have Townhouse Hotel for two nights when watching the golf at Muirfield.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel at it is excellent value. David is a very good host and the hotel is clean and comfortable. If you book to stay here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bury, Lancs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

If you want five star luxury then don't stay here. If you do want personal service with very friendly staff then this is the right place. It is not like a big impersonal hotel but it is a nice building with very nice people to look after you. We stayed in the building at the back which was absolutely fine for what we wanted. It is well equipped with everything you need and perfect to use as a base when visiting Edinburgh. We did see some of the other rooms which were old fashioned (that is not a criticism) but they were full of character and in keeping with the building.

There is secure parking and you can order what you like for breakfast. The only thing that we struggled with was the shower as it ran hot and cold and one day was completely cold. The bathroom is not big but perfectly adequate.

It is near to a bus stop which takes you into Edinburgh and seem to run every 10 mins. We used a car and found the location to be very good in terms of getting around.

Anyone with mobility problems would struggle with the higher floors but the outbuilding would be suitable. The bed was comfortable and the room was serviced every day and towels changed if required. We also had tea and coffee making facilities. I would recommend this place, we were very happy and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We drove into Edinburgh and the hotel was easy to find and had great, gated parking. The staff was friendly and accommodating with lots of great info and lovely breakfasts. The walk into town was easy (though there was a bus, but we are walkers) and was about 30 minutes to the Royal Mile from the hotel. The garden was gorgeous.

embarrassment factor), we didn't report it. We flushed about 75 times and finally the water came. I thought it was a fluke from our room, but I used the toilet by reception the next day with the same issue. Just a note to be aware of.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OverseasIowan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a 2 night stay here. Cleanliness, hospitality and accomodation were second to none. Full Scottish breakfast is to die for.
Dave and staff couldnt be more helpful.
We arrived at 7.30am with my wife meeting her sister at another hotel in the city. Dave was kind enough to allow us to park in the secure car park without checking in until later in the evening.
We would highly reccomend A Haven.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank GiselleandPeter S
Hel, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

My wife, daughter and I spent two nights at the A-Haven earlier this month. I've stayed here on my previous trips to Edinburgh and have always been satisfied with the level of service that David and his staff provide.
The A-Haven is conveniently located in the Leith area of Edinburgh, just a short bus trip to center city. It is also a short walk to the Leith harbor where there are several excellent restaurants.
David is a very welcoming host and they cook up a excellent breakfast. He is also very helpful on suggesting places to visit and is a wealth of information on the history of the city.
The rooms are on the small side and there are plenty of steps to negotiate if you are staying on the top floor. In my opinion, these are just minor issues. Everything is clean and well-maintained and the secure, private car park to the rear of the inn is an added bonus.
Overall, I feel the A-Haven is a perfect spot to stay when visiting Edinburgh. The location and David's hospitality make this a winner!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Albert K
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I needed a hotel for my business trip to Edinburgh. Booked A-Heaven as some of the reviews on the Internet were quite positive. Upon arrival I was met by the hotel staff who, I must admit, were quite friendly and willing to help and explained everything I needed to know about the area.
Speaking of the area, it is not particularly good location. It is situated right on the junction of the busy roads and the city center is a bit too far to walk too (~25 min).
During the night though I found another unpleasant surprise in that the walls between the rooms are actually made of cardboard and you can hear everything happening in the neighbors’ room very clearly in addition to the outside noise. I was unfortunate enough to have some very noisy and rude people staying behind the wall who were slamming the doors constantly going in and out, speaking loudly in the middle of the night. When I tried to calm them down I was met by a very rude and aggressive reply. Then I might have accidentally broken the wall in a half-asleep state. 'Broke' actually sounds too strong for the paper wall, rather pierced. I didn't complain to the staff about the noise at the time because I thought that there was nobody (I might have wrongly concluded as I was given the keys from the front door).
I had not mentioned anything about the damage the next day because I was unsure whether it was me given the half-unconscious state I was in when it happened. As the hotel stuff didn’t inform me even during the checkout, I concluded the damage must have happened before me. After I left however, the hotel manager emailed me that he was going to charge my card for the damage caused to the room because he was sure it was during my stay.
To my surprise later I found that my card was actually charged before the checkout for a round amount of 200 pounds. Prior to any notification and without providing any evidence that the repairs would cost this much. The hotel manager obviously decided that he was the judge and could impose fines as he wishes. In the end, plus to the horrible night after which I had to go to business meeting, I have to pay 200 pounds for being unlucky enough to stay in the room with cardboard walls and the scum neighbors.
There are some good things to be said about this hotel though. The breakfasts are very good, there is a secure car park and the staff is very friendly and trying to help (well, sometimes). But, the hotel is missing the basics. The rooms are small and noisy with small bathrooms and out of date furniture. And you don’t feel secure staying there. If you have a choice – stay elsewhere where the walls are made of bricks.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ian A, General Manager at A-Haven Townhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
This guest has been reported to the tourist authority so that his name, address and other personal details can be added to their database and forwarded to other hotels within the United Kingdom. This will make all hotels aware of the possibility of violence and damage to their property should this guest check in. The damage to A-Haven was in excess of £200.00 and the guest will obviously need to pay more towards the damage. This will be completed in due course. It's very sad he feels the only recourse is to write a review full of lies in order to object to their fine for such violent and stupid behaviour to cause criminal damage on this scale. I would also suggest it's just silly and foolish to suggest the walls are made of paper. Of course they're not made of paper. I'm sure Trip Advisor readers will realise how aggressive this person is after reading his review. Needless to say he will never be allowed back in this beautiful Hotel ever again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

This place if first class, stayed in the main house and in the lodge at the back, Love the lodge, they are great rooms, this place should have more then 3 star, the breakfast is to die for, stayed in some top hotels but A-Haven serves the best breakfast anywhere. This place is very clean and the service 1st class, cant wait to return, thanks David for your service, info and humour

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends