“As close to perfection as you are likely to get”

A-Haven Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #107 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have recently returned from a 3-night stay at the A-Haven Townhouse and I could not have been more pleased with the service provided. From the moment I arrived I was made to feel welcome, the host, David, providing many helpful tips on subjects such as where to eat in the local area and how to get around the city easily and cheaply. There are also many leaflets and brochures giving information on attractions in Edinburgh and the surrounding area. The hotel is on a frequent bus route from the centre of Edinburgh, with a stop directly outside. I was in a single room, which was comfortable, more than adequately equipped (although the ensuite was a little on the small side), and with room service provided daily. The breakfast was outstanding, with a large amount of choice and even the option of seconds! In short, the A-Haven Townhouse is an excellent choice of residence for those taking a short break in Edinburgh, providing a model which others would do well to follow. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Matthew M
There are newer reviews for A-Haven Townhouse Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was our first B&B stop over on our recent trip to Scotland. It certainly did not disappoint. The room was nice and the hosts were very heloful and friendly. The breakfast was great with other choices besides the typical (huge) Scotish breakfast. When I asked for an egg white omelet, I was told it was no problem. The location was across the street from the bus stop (take the bus to the Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile!) and only about a 10 minute walk to the Leith Harbor, not only scenic but has great places for dinner. One of the best perks was the private secure parking - not that common in Edinburgh. Enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brose0616
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This place can not be faulted, David and his staff are very helpful and polite.

The breakfast is first class, plenty of choice and large portions!

There is secure parking on site which is really important in Edinburgh as there is little roadside parking and the charge per day is £10 to £15 in a car park.

Getting from the guest house to the city is very easy an all day ticket is only £3.50 and is a better option than paying £14 for the tourist bus. The bus stop is just across the road and buses go / arrive every 15 minutes.

Leith is a 10 minute walk away where the Royal yacht Britannia is docked (well worth a visit), there are some amazing seafood restaurants there too.

When we return to Edinburgh we will stay here again, for the price asked and the service provided this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DM2008
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in two double rooms for the Edinburgh Marathon Festival over the late May bank holiday weekend 2014. Nothing was too much trouble, David put out early breakfast for anyone who was running on the day of the race even supplying cereal bars the evening before for one half marathon runner who wanted to leave even earlier. David booked taxis for us with a great reliable taxi company.
Our rooms were serviceable and clean with a comfy bed, I would have loved to have had a bath but the shower was strong and adjustable and I felt it was very good value for money. I ran alongside one lady who told me she paid 3 times what I paid her for her hotel. Breakfast was excellent on the second day when I could fully appreciate it and despite running the marathon the day before it still defeated me.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for good value in an expensive city, good breakfast, very reasonably priced drinks and a really personal service. I will certainly be going back!

Room Tip: 2nd floor room shower took a while to get hot but was brighter with newer décor. Room 4 has king siz...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jaine r
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is a well located guesthouse, on a direct bus line into Edinburgh centre. Also, about 20 mins walk to leith waterfront. The rooms are a little tired and the ensuite was very small. Good Scottish breakfast and the owner is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank JelmeisterCanada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was a beautiful place to stay for my trip to Edinburgh. It's right near a great bus stop and it was easy to get where I needed to go. David was great and very patient when I wanted to leave early and was sort of unaware that bed and breakfasts didn't have 24hr staffing. Oops. I'm not great with unwritten rules. The room was super cute, clean, and a great value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We found this randomly online & was very happy with it!! David was so friendly!! He gave us his bus ticket so one of us could ride for free. So accommodating and lovely room. Great breakfast. We would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014