“Relaxing Stay Near Edinburgh”

Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Ranked #41 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Vernon, Canada
“Relaxing Stay Near Edinburgh”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The Best Western Kings Manor Hotel is quite a ways out of town, but it is near the sea, was the right price, and has a pool and small spa -- just what I needed for my week’s stay.

Portobello is a short walk from the hotel. It was a popular beach resort for Edinburgh residents until the early 1900s, with a long pier and amusements. As has happened with most UK beach resorts, the public moved on to other travel options. All that is left is an esplanade, a swim club, a tired looking amusement building and a few small cafes.

The Hotel has a nice bistro and a hotel dining room. Both served excellent meals with pleasant, efficient service. The only disappointment was that they don’t have a la carte breakfasts -- only a full Scottish breakfast in the dining room (the bistro is not open mornings). I did indulge once, but chose to take the bus into the centre of Edinburgh (about 25 minutes, runs about every 1/2 hour) and have my breakfast there. It was actually a nice way to begin and end my day, and I ended up going in most days into the city.

My visit to the spa included a massage and pedicure, both well worth the money and relaxation value. I used the pool on a daily basis.

The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and, while there seemed to be tourist buses dropping off people all the time, there was not an overabundance of noise or lineups to spoil my stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms may not be accessible by elevator -- check before choosing.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Catsitter
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the chance to enjoy the seaside delights of Portobello as well as the more obvious attractions of the city centre. We are looking at our breakfast ‘offer’ and considering several changes as we revamp the restaurant in its entirety. Certainly lighter choices for breakfast are things we are looking at seriously. Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion. I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hungarian first
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

As we were staying at the hotel under difficult personal circumstances, we appreciated the exceptional service, comfort and food. Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Due to our circumstances we used the room service whilst staying at the hotel and this was an exceptional service also. The food was cooked to perfection, arrived promptly and most importantly was still hot when it arrived.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club room is recommended as they are newly refurbished and are of an excellent standard...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments I am delighted that our service during your stay helped to avoid additional stress during your recent stay. I hope things are progressing well for you all.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I spent five nights in the hotel, attending a course in the centre of Edinburgh. The hotel is located 20-25 minutes by bus from the city centre, and the buses are frequent and cheap. Bus stop (bus # 44) just outside the entrance!

The staff was really friendly, both in the reception, in the bistro and in the fitness area.

Even though I had booked the cheapest alternative, I got a big 'family room' with a really comfortable king-size bed, lots of closet space and a nice bath room. There was also plenty of free coffee and tea in the room, and even some tasty biscuits - everything replaced/renewed every day.

I tried the bistro twice - just for some light meals (sandwiches etc.). Both tasty and reasonably priced. My booking didn't include breakfast, but the different breakfast options presented seemed nice.

I also used the fitness facilities a couple of times - but only the pool (20 metres!), the jacuzzi and the saunas (dry and steam). Everything seemed clean and inviting - and was free of charge for hotel guests. They also had a spa and a fitness centre.

No downsides to this hotel whatsoever! The fact that it's located a bit outside the centre, didn't bother me at all.

Just remember one thing if you're buying bus passes (day cards etc.) - bus # 44 is run by two different companies (First and Lothian), and they both have their own bus passes which can't be used with the other company. The single tickets are only £ 1.30 each, so it could be wiser to stick to those rather than buying a bus pass with one of the companies. Also note that bus drivers in Edinburgh don't give change, so you need the exact amount whenever boarding a bus!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Aksel76
Thank you for your kind comments , I am delighted that you managed to take full advantage of your complimentary upgrade. I would recommend Getting Lothian Bus’s Day ticket if you are travelling around the town . First Bus’s service is good but it only goes into and out of own, whereas Lothian covers the whole city, including all the tourist attractions and shopping areas, and you can download an ‘app’ for the correct stop and timetables.
West Sussex U.K
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Beautiful Hotel and Spa with free parking and use of all spa facilities. Staff were very friendly and always helpful. Free wi-fi was an added bonus too. Our only criticism was there was not a lot of choice on the restaurant menu, we only stayed 3 nights on a leisure break (Half board) so were fine but felt that if we had stayed another night we would of been struggling for a different choice on the menu, especially as i don't eat fish. There is a Bistro bar which serves different food, but as we like to eat in the restaurant we felt the choices were a little limited. However the food was wonderful on all three evenings, and breakfast was great too. The hotel is approx 20 mins drive from the centre of Edinburgh but there is a very good bus service that stops right outside the hotel if you prefer. We had a lovely stay and would definately visit again.

Room Tip: We had club rooms which were great, very spacious and comfortable, with a wonderful shower too.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Lauders Restaurant has a standard menu with daily ‘specials’ added to it giving a choice of around 10 items for each course. I do take your comment that the choice gets repetitive if you dine several nights in a row.
As we are fully reviewing our restaurant service at the moment I shall raise your comments with my colleagues to see if we can add more choice for any future stay.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at the Kings Manor Best Western on October 10th in a single room for £40 which was very reasonable considering the facilities on offer. I had parking for my stay, free wifi which was very useful and the use of the pool and whirlpool which I thoroughly enjoyed. As I was alone that night before meeting my husband the next day it was important to me that I felt secure. I was able to go through to the bar and bistro area for my evening meal without leaving the building and therein I had a decent portion of fish and chips for £9.25 with a glass of red wine which although was nice the price was absolutely scandalous at £6.00. This is the reason my score for the hotel wasn't a five star rating. This price cannot be justified really. That aside, I found all of the staff to be welcoming and professional and the hotel was warm and clean throughout. I did not take the breakfast option so cannot comment on that but would say all in all I would stay there again and would recommend it to my friends. Also worth mentioning is the ease of which it is to get into town with the number 44 bus available close by for £1.30 a trip.

Room Tip: Just shop around and get a good price
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments. Safety of all our guests is always a first priority at The Kings Manor. Whilst we are lucky to live in a very safe city and a very safe part of the city we do take several precautions to ensure that our guests not only are safe but feel safe.
I have checked on your comments regarding a glass of wine. Our range of house wine costs £2.60 for a 125ml glass, a 175ml glass costs £3.70 and a 250ml glass is £5.20. We also have a small range of slighter higher quality wines that we sell at £6 for a 250ml glass – that is 1/3 of a bottle and I think £6 is a fair price for 1/3 of a bottle of these quality wines. It may be that the range is glass sizes and wines was not fully explained to you during your stay. I have raised this with the food and beverage manager to ensure that staff are fully explaining all options. Thank you.
Oldham
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I chose the Knig's Manor as our base to the East of Edinburgh because we were visiting my son who had just moved to Musselburgh, this being about half way between it and Waverley station and on a frequent bus route.

We had a comfortable room on the third floor, although it's floor creaked a little. As I have found elsewhere I could only access the wifi by going down to reception.

Breakfast was typically British and of good quality.

The only glitch was not the hotel's fault. We had booked through LastMinute.com and as it seems to be an agent for the hotel's agent it hadn't worked through to the hotel's system that we had already paid. Fortunately I had the lastminute.com print out so the matter was quickly settled. (while also revealing the size of the lastminute.cons commission. I'll think twice before using them again.)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you had problems with the free WiFi service. There are 2 separate node points on that floor and signal is usually very good. If you have any similar issues on future stays please let us know and we can check it out for you. Out maintenance team has check the signal and today , at least, it is definitely working at full strength in that area.
Bookings made directly with us either by phone , by email or no our web site are guaranteed to be the best rate available anywhere. Please book with us directly the next time to ensure that you get the best deal possible.
Thanks for your comments.
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Had a great stay at the kings manor. The spa faccilities are wonderful and the service was great! Not the best shower in the world but the other good parts make yo for it e.g the food at the restaurant and bistro are good! Would reccomend to anyone

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for your comments. Many of our showers are fitted with water savers that can restrict the flow of the water to save waste as part of our environmental commitment. Occasionally these may need to be adjusted to give a good flow so that it can be used for its purpose. If you could email the hotel with the room number I can get our plumbing team to check if this is the case here. I am delighted that the rest of your stay was enjoyable